Author Topic: Anastasia's remains 'found in Russia'  (Read 1175 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Anastasia's remains 'found in Russia'
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »

One of the 20th century’s most abiding mysteries could soon be solved when British scientists carry out DNA tests on recently discovered bone fragments said to belong to the two missing children of Tsar Nicholas II.

Russian forensic experts have been examining the remains, discovered under a mound near Yekaterinburg by amateur archaeologists last August, and say that early findings gave credence to the royal claims.

On Vladimir Lenin's orders, a Bolshevik firing squad executed 11 members of the Royal family and their retinue in 1918.

But rumours have circulated for decades that one or two of the children escaped, with most of the theories revolving around Anastasia, the youngest of the tsar’s four daughters, and Crown Prince Alexei.
... Last summer amateur archaeologists using the testimonies of some of the executioners discovered bone fragments and jars of acid close to the main burial sites.

The head of the firing squad had filed a written report saying that two of the bodies were separated from the others before being burned and buried elsewhere.

Russian scientists say that initial tests have shown that the remains belong to a boy aged between 13 and 15 and the girl of between 16 and about 18.

They said that there was “a high degree of probability” that the fragments belong to Alexei, 13 at the time of his death, and either Anastasia, who was 17, or her sister Maria, who was 19.

link

One for the history buffs

Offline jtyangel

Re: Anastasia's remains 'found in Russia'
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:16 PM »
I remember watching stories on this back in the 70's and they were talking to an older woman at the time who claimed to be her. DNA is a wonderful tool when there is evidence to examine. Hopefully it lays this mystery to rest despite the hope that a child was able to escape such a demise.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »
My family always bought me these books about unsolved mysteries when I was a kid, all of which included the story of Anastasia.  I was always fascinated when new evidence would appear.  Getting to see such a famous mystery solved in my lifetime would be great! :)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
I watched Autopsy on HBO the other day and they were talking about trying to find the remains.  The woman who faked her way through decades of lies was named Anna Anderson (real name Franziska Schanzkowska).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Anderson  The stories were incredible.  I loved all of the intrigue.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill