Author Topic: Fianancially ignorant Primitive want's a "bailout" to reward stupidity...  (Read 565 times)

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4025941

southernleftylady  (1000+ posts)      Wed Sep-17-08 11:28 PM
Original message
Where is my bailout.. I am sitting here in tears...

So I went to pay for groceries today and my card was declined.. frantic i called my bank... a few years ago.. I was laidoff ... (i am a flight attendant) the one month we didnt have insurance because of paperwork issues my son got DEATHLY sick .. we were in and out of the hospital and doctors office.. we were in credit HELL.. but for the last two years I have paid off everything but 2 bills.. I did used to dodge collectors calls but damnit I dont NOW I even answer unknown numbers now with an attitude because I know I am paying my 2 bills I have left off... I mean it was bad for awhile.. barely making it by... having to borrow money from my parents.. its so embarrasing and just nerve racking.....anyways so I have been having the discover card people take out money every 13th.. Been doing this for 16months now ...well they start to process the check on the 13 and some times it takes a few days so I thought nothing of it till today I couldnt get food for my kids... the discover people WIPED ME OUT.. my saving and checking accounts are at 0...
I am so upset!!I am just sitting her bawling!!
Where is my bailout from the goverment !!!
For the people with real issues that are out of our hands????
I am just so upset I am sitting here crying! I am going to call them at 8 when they open but damn... I dont have a cent to my name and what are we supose to do??How am I supose to live? Feed my babies??? I dont know what to do
Thanks for making it thru this post...

readmoreoften  (1000+ posts)       Wed Sep-17-08 11:31 PM
Response to Original message
1. I'm sorry. 
 We'll all be there soon. A friend of his just stopped paying on his debt so that he could pay his rent and eat. It seems to be working for him well. But he also lives in a state where they can't garnish wages. (TX)

Bluebear  (1000+ posts)       Wed Sep-17-08 11:34 PM
Response to Original message
6. I am so terribly sorry. 
 86 billion for this bail-out, millions for that bail-out, yet hard-working people can't afford the basics. It's a disgrace. I am crying with you and hope you can find some assistance, love.

DoctorMyEyes (950 posts)      Thu Sep-18-08 09:09 AM
Response to Reply #23
52. There is no law
 There is no law to protect people from this kind of "raid" by a pre-authorized draft. There should be - and it's kind of a no-brainer - but, the banks don't spend all that money lobbying for laws that protect us from them.

The first time I encountered a situation like this when I worked in banking I was livid - I called the collection agency on a 3 way call with our customer and confirmed that they had taken WAY more than the customer had agreed to by way of making payments on the debt. The bastard laughed about it and mocked our customer. Quoted to me the law that authorized his doing so and I double checked with my manager.

I couldn't believe it - kept saying "But, Mr. XXXXX is OUR customer - not Joe Blow's Collections - how can we NOT protect our own customers accounts?"

Please, everyone - NEVER let anyone debit your account for "convenience" or otherwise. You pay them - don't let them help themselves.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Fianancially ignorant Primitive want's a "bailout" to reward stupidity...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:15:33 AM »
I'm not a believer in allowing anyone to draft on my bank account.  Any automatic payments I make, and there aren't many, are on credit cards.  Aside from this DUmmie's situation, it's just fundamental protection from some idiot at the bank or the creditor putting the decimal point in wrong on an update, causing me to bounce checks all over the landscape for a week. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
Re: Fianancially ignorant Primitive want's a "bailout" to reward stupidity...
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »

Let's see:

1. DUmmy complaining about being destitute, instead of beating the pavement looking for work;

2. Said DUmmy is in possession of a gold star.

Yup, par for the course.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.