Author Topic: Hurricane Ike Live Thread -- Texas Area CC Members Check in With Us  (Read 21850 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Hurricane Ike Live Thread -- Texas Area CC Members Check in With Us
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2008, 12:31:51 PM »
I just ate my first MRE ever ...... God Bless Our Troops!!!  I would take a good ol' fashion 'C' Ration any day of the week.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »
Fox reported tonight that Bolivar Island (?) near Galveston is mostly destroyed and there are still about 250 people on the island. They have been ordered to leave for their own safety, if they don't, the govenor may invoke Marshall law on the island which they can then be forcefully evacuated. From the pictures I saw which were taken from a helicopter....there just isn't hardly a thing left....it's basically just flat with a lot of puddles and some foundation slabs.

This link should work to an article about Bolivar....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26695458

I know it sounds silly, but it is "Martial Law" -- the distinction is very important.

:thatsright:.....note to self - never try to appear intelligent when tired. <a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZN%2526i%253D4%252F4%255F13%255F14%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2008, 03:31:10 PM »
Fox reported tonight that Bolivar Island (?) near Galveston is mostly destroyed and there are still about 250 people on the island. They have been ordered to leave for their own safety, if they don't, the govenor may invoke Marshall law on the island which they can then be forcefully evacuated. From the pictures I saw which were taken from a helicopter....there just isn't hardly a thing left....it's basically just flat with a lot of puddles and some foundation slabs.

This link should work to an article about Bolivar....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26695458

I know it sounds silly, but it is "Martial Law" -- the distinction is very important.

:thatsright:.....note to self - never try to appear intelligent when tired. <a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZN%2526i%253D4%252F4%255F13%255F14%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0

Only your friends will tell you if your collar is up or you have spinach in your teeth.

:)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2008, 03:33:27 PM »
I just ate my first MRE ever ...... God Bless Our Troops!!!  I would take a good ol' fashion 'C' Ration any day of the week.

KC

I had C rations many years ago (obviously)  -- I was in Boy Scouts and we bought them from the Sergeant Supply.  The macaroni and beef (IIRC) was great!  All of it was pretty good.  And when you are hiking 20-25 miles, the light weight is worth any slight flavor issues. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2008, 03:53:46 PM »

KC

Avoid the Breakfast Omelet.

Four words.

Lung In A Bag.

The meatloaf is damn tasty!

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:42 PM »

KC

Avoid the Breakfast Omelet.

Four words.

Lung In A Bag.

The meatloaf is damn tasty!

Holy crap!  I guess my Scout days were more romantic than I thought! LOL

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »
We ate a lot of C Rations when I was with the 82nd Airborne but they had just brought in the MRE's.  We had so many C Rations on base we never got to the MRE's ..... I'll take C Rations any day.  They are easier to use and, from what I've had so far, taste better.

aasdf ... thanks for the warning!  LOL  I haven't seen any breakfast type food but we still have plenty of real food.  It just takes a bit more work to get it cooked and on the table.

Our area should get electricity restored in the next couple of days .... we'll see.  They don't really know but we have power companies from all over the country working here right now.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

I have taken the link to this thread out of the forum wide header.  but I will leave this thread pinned and keep it bumped.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2008, 10:42:07 AM »
We just got our power back on!  Woooo Hoooo!!!!  hehe  It's kind of nice for awhile while it's out but you start to miss hot water .... and a few other things.

I don't have time to post all the pics so .... for those interested here is a site where I have put the before/during/after shots.

http://www.palmerrealestate.com/spa

Has anyone heard from Servo?  I have asked this a couple of times but no one has answered.  Hope he is doing well.

KC

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2008, 02:23:10 PM »
Wow....are those all from around your house?

Mia posted a link in the shout box.....the devastation is so horrendous. It makes my heart hurt to see it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »
Has anyone heard from Servo?  I have asked this a couple of times but no one has answered.  Hope he is doing well.

He hasn't logged in since Sept. 13th.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »

Mia posted a link in the shout box.....the devastation is so horrendous. It makes my heart hurt to see it.

If you are asking about the link I posted ... yeah, that is all from around my house.  Our area is cleaning up nicely though.  Our HOA has decided to use our money to pay one contractor to clean everyone's yard and our streets to avoid price gouging.  Our HOA will accept donations from those they have helped in lieu of special assessments.

KC

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »

If you are asking about the link I posted ... yeah, that is all from around my house.  Our area is cleaning up nicely though.  Our HOA has decided to use our money to pay one contractor to clean everyone's yard and our streets to avoid price gouging.  Our HOA will accept donations from those they have helped in lieu of special assessments.

KC

That's a great idea! The contractor will probably do a better job that way too.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »

KC

That's a great idea! The contractor will probably do a better job that way too.

Yeah, it is a guy who usually does highway work and dirt work but he can't work his crews right now sooooo ...... he is keeping them busy on the end of chainsaws and they are happy.  They have brought in a lot of big equipment to move the really large stuff and they are charging us $400/truck load hauled out.  Not too bad a deal!  We are figuring/estimating around $20,000 for the clean up in our development.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »

KC

Checking in Bud, It's been a hellava week.  Got my power back yesterday,  My Mom has a new picture
window and Moon roof where none existed before.  I am so freaking tired.

Thanks for your concern my Friend.  :cheersmate:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2008, 02:12:15 PM »

KC

Checking in Bud, It's been a hellava week.  Got my power back yesterday,  My Mom has a new picture

Servo!!  Good to hear from you mi amigo!  Glad you are safe.  If you need anything let me know and I'll do what I can for you.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »

KC

Good to hear your safe!
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2008, 02:38:33 PM »

KC

Servo!!  Good to hear from you mi amigo!  Glad you are safe.  If you need anything let me know and I'll do what I can for you.

KC

Thanks Dude, we are okay, a little beat up but not beaten.  One of these days we need to get together
and I'll tell you the story how I escaped the Woodlands Waterway Marriott armed with a Bic Lighter
and a crazy Filipino.

And the beers are on me.  :cheersmate:

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »

KC

KC

Thanks Dude, we are okay, a little beat up but not beaten.  One of these days we need to get together
and I'll tell you the story how I escaped the Woodlands Waterway Marriott armed with a Bic Lighter
and a crazy Filipino.

Goodness, come up north and I will protect you and give you shelter.  :naughty: You too, Texacon.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »

KC

Good to hear your safe!

I'm fine Mia, tired more than anything.

Going back thru the thread, I've added your family to my prayers.  :( 

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2008, 03:02:22 PM »

KC

KC

and a crazy Filipino.

Goodness, come up north and I will protect you and give you shelter.  :naughty: You too, Texacon.

:o

I'm not sure weather I should be scared or excited.

I'm leaning toward excited.  :naughty: 

:evillaugh:

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2008, 03:04:17 PM »

KC

KC

and a crazy Filipino.

:o

I'm not sure weather I should be scared or excited.

I'm leaning toward excited.  :naughty: 

:evillaugh:

Fear not....  :evillaugh: It won't hurt a bit.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »

KC

Good to hear your safe!

I'm fine Mia, tired more than anything.

Going back thru the thread, I've added your family to my prayers.  :( 

Thanks.  Everyone's safe and that's what matters most.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »

KC

KC

and a crazy Filipino.

Name the time and the place .... an bring a LOT of cash, I like to drink!

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »

KC

KC

and a crazy Filipino.

Name the time and the place darlin' and I'LL bring a lot of cash!  I like to treat my wimmen right.   :naughty:

KC

*Stolen