Author Topic: Hurricane Ike Live Thread -- Texas Area CC Members Check in With Us  (Read 21857 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: Hurricane Ike Live Thread -- Texas Area CC Members Check in With Us
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2008, 02:24:16 PM »
Just a quick check in.  We have no electric with lots of downed trees.  2 - 4 weeks without power.  I'm working off a generator but we're safe and cleaning up our neck o' the woods!

Y'all be good. 

Has anyone heard from Servo?

I'll post pics of our area when I can.  We have lots to do.

If anyone knows of a 480 volt 3 phase generator around the Huntsville area I sure could use one.  I need it to keep our water plant up and running .... otherwise we have to go to a 'Boil Water' phase.  I can't let our water plant shut down.

Thanks!
KC

The extended family I have up in the Spring Hill, Jacksonville and Henderson areas are still without electricity.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »
Just a quick check in.  We have no electric with lots of downed trees.  2 - 4 weeks without power.  I'm working off a generator but we're safe and cleaning up our neck o' the woods!

Y'all be good. 

I'll post pics of our area when I can.  We have lots to do.

If anyone knows of a 480 volt 3 phase generator around the Huntsville area I sure could use one.  I need it to keep our water plant up and running .... otherwise we have to go to a 'Boil Water' phase.  I can't let our water plant shut down.

Thanks!
KC

The extended family I have up in the Spring Hill, Jacksonville and Henderson areas are still without electricity.

It looks like we could be down for quite some time.  We have an 850,000 ground storage tank for our water and it should last us to the end of the week.  I really need a generator by Wednesday to avoid being 'at the last minute' to start pumping from our wells.  I don't mind being without at the house but I need to keep the community water up and running.

Tell your family to hang in there!  It'll all get back to normal eventually.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »
Got an email from my friend, in Houston,  a little while ago.

They have running water now, still not safe to drink ... but they aren't using rain water to flush with anymore.

Their generator is working well, they have checked on the neighbors and all are ok, she's wearing a gun on her hip even in the house.

She said her husband and sons have always made fun of her for going "overboard" for hurricane preparedness.....but they aren't making fun of her anymore. :bow:

Her husband works for one of the oil companies, and he's been at work since yesterday, they're trying to get back up to where they are supposed to be.

She wants to try an MRE.....her son thinks she's crazy ....he's done 2 tours in Iraq.

At least they are safe and that's again thing. :cheersmate:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »

That's adorable -- I am sure many who are looking at some trouble thank you for it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »
I saw beaucoup, about 20 in all, Asplundh bucket trucks heading south on I-35 yesterday. So, the cavalry is on its way.

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:01 PM »
The Valero refinery is getting up.  The men in my family have been called in and are going home tomorrow.  The womenfolk are staying up here until they have electricity so maybe until this weekend or so for the people that live in Pt. Arthur.  The rest that live in Bridge City, I don't know what their plans are yet, I won't see them again until Saturday.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:20 PM »
Got an email from my friend, in Houston,  a little while ago.

They have running water now, still not safe to drink ... but they aren't using rain water to flush with anymore.

Their generator is working well, they have checked on the neighbors and all are ok, she's wearing a gun on her hip even in the house.

I've been getting phone calls at work since Ike landed... phone lines are down, 'puters and fax machines aren't working, people are still staying in hotels.  Lots of angry people.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2008, 11:00:26 PM »
I am having a tough time getting a clear picture.

Is Galveston pretty much wiped out, like 1900?  Is Houston like NOLA after Katrina, sans people looting their own neighborhoods?

Even with the MSM, I am can't see it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »

Is Galveston pretty much wiped out, like 1900?  Is Houston like NOLA after Katrina, sans people looting their own neighborhoods?

Google Earth has updated their satellite pictures.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2008, 11:05:54 PM »

Not to see, but to understand what the hell is going on.

It is all page 3 or page 4 news.  Small articles about this or that but nothing that paints the full and true picture.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »
I was under the impression that the storm surge demolished about the southern 1/2 of the barrier islands and the rest was median wind damage across the Houston-metro and other Texas, and far-Western Louisiana, coastal regions.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2008, 11:10:19 PM »

It is all page 3 or page 4 news.  Small articles about this or that but nothing that paints the full and true picture.

Well, Galveston is pretty much gone, but Bolivar Peninsula is completely destroyed.  Actually I heard today that Bolivar Peninsula is actually an island now.  There's no place for the ferry to dock and the road in is completely destroyed.  There's about a dozen or so hold outs on Bolivar (they stayed through the hurricane).  The city is going to go to a judge and have them forcibly removed if they won't leave voluntarily.

Sabine Pass took on more damage than what happened during Rita.

Here's some good sites to go to for pictures of different areas

Port Arthur News
Beaumont Enterprise
Houston Chronicle 

They have some pictures on those sites, plus they have a lot of coverage since they're in the effected areas.
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2008, 11:11:27 PM »

Well, Galveston is pretty much gone, but Bolivar Peninsula is completely destroyed.  Actually I heard today that Bolivar Peninsula is actually an island now.  There's no place for the ferry to dock and the road in is completely destroyed.  There's about a dozen or so hold outs on Bolivar (they stayed through the hurricane).  The city is going to go to a judge and have them forcibly removed if they won't leave voluntarily.

Sabine Pass took on more damage than what happened during Rita.

Here's some good sites to go to for pictures of different areas

Port Arthur News
Beaumont Enterprise
Houston Chronicle 

They have some pictures on those sites. 

Thanks

I guess if you're not Chocolate City, you don't get to be on the front page.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2008, 11:13:14 PM »
Thanks

I guess if you're not Chocolate City, you don't get to be on the front page.

No, of course not.  Even when Rita was hitting and doing lots of damage all they would talk about is how it was effecting NOLA.  Well, after Katrina you rarely heard about Mississippi or anywhere in Louisiana that wasn't NOLA.   :whatever: 
Stink Eye

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »
I bet Ike took out Seawolf Park over on Pelican Island too.  :censored:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2008, 11:19:56 PM »
Fox reported tonight that Bolivar Island (?) near Galveston is mostly destroyed and there are still about 250 people on the island. They have been ordered to leave for their own safety, if they don't, the govenor may invoke Marshall law on the island which they can then be forcefully evacuated. From the pictures I saw which were taken from a helicopter....there just isn't hardly a thing left....it's basically just flat with a lot of puddles and some foundation slabs.

This link should work to an article about Bolivar....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26695458
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:26:12 PM by debk »
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
Fox reported tonight that Bolivar Island (?) near Galveston is mostly destroyed and there are still about 250 people on the island. They have been ordered to leave for their own safety, if they don't, the govenor may invoke Marshall law on the island which they can then be forcefully evacuated. From the pictures I saw which were taken from a helicopter....there just isn't hardly a thing left....it's basically just flat with a lot of puddles and some foundation slabs.

This link should work to an article about Bolivar....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26695458

I know it sounds silly, but it is "Martial Law" -- the distinction is very important.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2008, 05:30:47 AM »
In the midst of all this, it is important to note the damage Ike did beyond Texas too and far more impacting then Katrina. Schools are closed in most of central Ohio again today since power is still out to Columbus metro and many of the suburbs. There is wind damage to buildings and trees. We hit nearly record winds up here and were unprepared since they didn't expect the winds to hold up as they did all the way up north. I really feel for you guys down there having been through Andrew myself and yes, it's very telling the media is shuffling this one way down considering its impact not only on the Texas area, but all the way up into some midwestern states. They said this was outage was worse then the ice storm we had in 2004 and that was bad, but the saving grace here is that our homes are obviously still standing and don't have significant damage and the weather is very mild right now, not getting above the mid-70's and into the 50's at night so cooling and/or heating is unnecessary.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2008, 08:09:42 AM »
In the midst of all this, it is important to note the damage Ike did beyond Texas too and far more impacting then Katrina. Schools are closed in most of central Ohio again today since power is still out to Columbus metro and many of the suburbs. There is wind damage to buildings and trees. We hit nearly record winds up here and were unprepared since they didn't expect the winds to hold up as they did all the way up north. I really feel for you guys down there having been through Andrew myself and yes, it's very telling the media is shuffling this one way down considering its impact not only on the Texas area, but all the way up into some midwestern states. They said this was outage was worse then the ice storm we had in 2004 and that was bad, but the saving grace here is that our homes are obviously still standing and don't have significant damage and the weather is very mild right now, not getting above the mid-70's and into the 50's at night so cooling and/or heating is unnecessary.

considering the suffering that is happening in TX, now probably isn't the time to debate the relative horrors of different hurricanes, but it would be pretty damn hard to top 1,300 dead in a half dozen states and $80B in damage.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »

go to http://www.abc13.com

They have streaming coverage.  The devastation is incredible.  It is 24/7 news here.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2008, 11:36:50 AM »
We are still without power on the lake, still have massive trees down, JUST got FEMA aid this morning.

We have been able to keep our water system up (I finally found a generator in Austin that will be delivered tomorrow) so we are not under a boil water notice.

Y'all be good and I'll check in later.

KC

*Stolen

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #121 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:54 AM »

considering the suffering that is happening in TX, now probably isn't the time to debate the relative horrors of different hurricanes, but it would be pretty damn hard to top 1,300 dead in a half dozen states and $80B in damage.

I wasn't debating, only elaborating on a point made by free(I think), having been someone who saw just how damaging and severe the winds were even 1500 miles or so away from the worst impact.

I figured reporting the impact further up aka as SLW has been would be worthwhile considering what free was asking. I'll just shut up now and go back to lurk mode.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

I wasn't debating, only elaborating on a point made by free(I think), having been someone who saw just how damaging and severe the winds were even 1500 miles or so away from the worst impact.

I figured reporting the impact further up aka as SLW has been would be worthwhile considering what free was asking. I'll just shut up now and go back to lurk mode.

Yeah!

Quitcher whinin about "Oh the power is out!" and "Oh the schools are closed and things are screwed up 'cause of the huuricane storms!"

Did you NOT read the Cryin In My Beer thread that I started about spilled milk and smashed eggs?!

Things are tough all over Sister!!

;)

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »

Yeah!

Quitcher whinin about "Oh the power is out!" and "Oh the schools are closed and things are screwed up 'cause of the huuricane storms!"

Did you NOT read the Cryin In My Beer thread that I started about spilled milk and smashed eggs?!

Things are tough all over Sister!!

;)

Hey, I'm not bitchin! My power only flickered and my kids only missed Monday.  :-) For all my griping about my house being a pita, I gotta give it to her for hanging in there during some of these big storm events without so much of a shingle lost(yet) or a piece of siding(I hope I don't jinx myself). All of our trees have snapped a few big branches, but nothing significant. Same was true during the ice storm, but the winds were bad up here too. Enough so I was surprised and apparently this is a big deal to hear the local news talk of it in terms of historical events.

Now, on to other things...the madrid chicken is so so--I'll put the recipe up...allrecipe has some good modifications on it from the reviewers which I think I'll try to spice it up a bit more. It's a good base though, just needs some kick and maybe some thickening sauce...dang, now I really effed up this thread.  :banghead:

*side note, I do feel for everyone down there...as I said, I've been through Andrew and my mother went through a couple of the storms that went through the carolinas in the 90's. It does indeed suck the big one. I keep praying that those strong willed Texas types made it through some of those very tentative places some decided to stay in*

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »

KC

*Stolen