Author Topic: Figure in Rosenberg Case Admits Spying for Soviets  (Read 653 times)

Offline bijou

Figure in Rosenberg Case Admits Spying for Soviets
« on: September 11, 2008, 06:00:44 PM »
Ever since he was tried and convicted with Julius and Ethel Rosenberg on espionage charges in 1951, Morton Sobell has maintained his innocence.

Until now. In an interview on Thursday, Mr. Sobell, who served nearly 19 years in Alcatraz and other federal prisons, admitted for the first time that he had been a Soviet spy. And he implicated his fellow defendant, Julius Rosenberg, in a conspiracy that delivered to the Soviets vital classified military information and what the American government claimed was the secret to the atomic bomb.

In the interview, Mr. Sobell, who is 91 and lives in the Bronx, was asked whether as an electrical engineer he turned over military secrets to the Soviets during World War II when they were considered allies of the United States. Was he, in fact, a spy?

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, call it that,” he replied. “I never thought of it as that in those terms.”

“What I did was simply defensive, an aircraft gun,” he added. “This was defensive. You cannot plead that what you did was only defensive stuff, but there’s a big difference between giving that and stuff that could be used to attack our country.”

Mr. Sobell drew a distinction between defensive radar and artillery devices and the atomic bomb. But he said that the sketches and other information on the bomb that were passed along to Julius Rosenberg by Ethel’s brother, David Greenglass, an Army machinist at Los Alamos, N.M., where the bomb was being built, were of little value to the Soviets, who had already gleaned much of it from other sources.

“What he gave them was junk,” Mr. Sobell said of Julius Rosenberg. The two men became friends while attending City College of New York in the 1930s.

Mr. Sobell added, though: “His intentions might have been to be a spy. The fact that he didn’t know it was junk makes that debatable.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/12/nyregion/12spy.html?ex=1378872000&en=c07e5f36ab5a4417&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

That ruins the lefty revisionists case.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Figure in Rosenberg Case Admits Spying for Soviets
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:32:43 PM »
are heads aslpodin on DU yet?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
Re: Figure in Rosenberg Case Admits Spying for Soviets
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »
There is a story that some reporter asked Edison about the invention of the lighbulb, and Edison said he discovered 900 things that would not work when working on it.

Greenglass was a machinest who was worked on the lead blanks the used to design the thing.  He know all the designs that wouldn't work   That in itself, is very valuable.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!