Author Topic: This is NBC News: "Alleged" Tornado levels Iowa town  (Read 244 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
This is NBC News: "Alleged" Tornado levels Iowa town
« on: May 22, 2024, 11:56:43 AM »
NBC News Apparently Has No Idea What the Damage from a Tornado Looks Like

Now, when a news agency is talking about a crime, it is appropriate to say 'alleged' as the person may not be convicted as of yet. There are some things, however, that can be said with certainty. A town leveled by a tornado is one of them. NBC News wasn't so sure and wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt.

NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt
·
May 21, 2024
@NBCNightlyNews
·
Follow
DEVELOPING: Drone footage from Greenfield, Iowa shows the damage after an alleged Tornado leveled the community

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

https://twitchy.com/justmindy/2024/05/21/nbc-alleged-tornado-damage-n2396481
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Re: This is NBC News: "Alleged" Tornado levels Iowa town
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 12:06:25 PM »
I loathe to defend NBC, but, while 'alleged" is a poor choice of words in this situation, over the last decade or so, it has become common practice to not call a weather event a "tornado" until there has been confirmation, usually from the National Weather Service that an actual, defined tornado touched down.  Typically the word is "unconfirmed" tornado.

Straight line winds can be just as devastating as small tornadoes, and I'm sure insurance companies are checking carefully whether tornado damage is covered vs other wind and storm damage. 

Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 12:52:04 PM »
I loathe to defend NBC, but, while 'alleged" is a poor choice of words in this situation, over the last decade or so, it has become common practice to not call a weather event a "tornado" until there has been confirmation, usually from the National Weather Service that an actual, defined tornado touched down.  Typically the word is "unconfirmed" tornado.

Straight line winds can be just as devastating as small tornadoes, and I'm sure insurance companies are checking carefully whether tornado damage is covered vs other wind and storm damage.

I get it, just found the verbiage unusual.

Lost power for apparently about 5 hours yesterday afternoon, yet went to run my trivia gig in a nearby suburb and the power never went out.

Here's the details from the National Weather Service:

The National Weather Service in Des Moines says that the tornado that swept across Greenfield, Iowa on Tuesday afternoon was at least an EF tornado

Additional damage assessments will continue over the next several days and results are subject to change, the NWS said in a social media post. It has not yet provided an exact path for the tornado.

EF3 tornados have wind gusts of at least 136 mph, according to NWS' website. The EF scale is a set of wind estimates, not measurements, based on damage.

EF ratings begin a 0, with wind gusts of 65 to 85 mph. The highest rating a tornado can have is EF-5, with wind gusts of 200 mph or more.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2024/05/22/iowa-may-21-tornado-ratings-ef-scale-greenfield-nevada/73804505007/
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 05:24:29 PM »
In light of what happened in Greenfield Iowa those were not the best words to use with at least four people reported dead there afterward. I think they were all members of the same family, but I am not 100% sure of that. If I was still acting as a go between for the Iowa National Guard and the county emergency management people here in my county, I would be busy right now helping direct resources until things were here to help out. I worked during the 2011 and the 2019 floods here and those were some very long hours during 2011 that went on for about four months.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 11:10:07 AM »
NBC Skews, like other Alphabet-Souper skews outlets, is based in NYC and their minds and sources are on the coasts plus Chicago. Even network affiliates outside of those areas don't get a lot of respect or visibility. The epithet "Flyover Country" captures the mindset of Alphabet-Souper skews outlets. The epithet is 2 or 3 decades old, but the Alphabet-Soupers haven't deigned to learn.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 12:01:17 PM »
NBC News Apparently Has No Idea What the Damage from a Tornado Looks Like

[SNIP]

In NBC's defense, that level of damage is relatively common place anywhere leftist scum have been left in charge for longer than 30 seconds, so I understand why they'd need more evidence that such destruction was the result of a natural disaster.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 12:05:22 PM by DefiantSix »
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus