Author Topic: Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning  (Read 4720 times)

Offline Flame

Re: Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 09:01:21 PM »
I was getting my kids ready for school when they did the breaking news thing.  Was watching a live picture on the tv when the 2nd plane hit.  I don't think I moved from the front of the tv all day.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »

It should be required that the film from that awful morning be played back in real time, 8:30-11:00 AM Eastern.  On all channels.

The USA has totally wiped that morning from their minds. That is the only explanation of why nearly half support those who perpetrated it and have provided aid and comfort to The Enemy.

You supporters of the terrorists who did this: Screw You.  I hope you get to spend Quality Time with the bastards that want to destroy us.  I want for you to be slowly beheaded.  And I will watch a film of that with great satisfaction.  Because your treason against the USA deserves nothing less.

Yeah, you're right, it should. I keep thinking about it, even at parties, when it should be a time of having fun. I actually go to YouTube and watch 9/11 clips. I wish there was a DVD set of the 9/11 coverage from the first airplane crash to end of the news coverage on 9/15. The DVD should be available for free. Hell, it should be in the public domain.

To all the people who blame America for 9/11 and 9/11 Truthers, I have a message for you:
GO **** YOURSELVES YOU SHIT EATING SOULLESS ****ERS!!!!!!!! YOU ARE ALL ******* PATHETIC AND WORTHLESS EXCUSES OF DNA MOLECULES!!!!!!!! **** YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!
 :bird: :foff: :angryvillagers: :redbird:

The videos available HERE  , are downloadable, and can be burned to a DVD.  I've downloaded some old public domain movies from that site.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »
There are really two sets of people in this country.

1. Those who saw 9/11/01 and never need to see it again as every image and every detail about that day are seared in your memory......................most everyone here on this website that I know

2. The dumbass traitorous ****wads that need to watch it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until it is finally seared into their empty minds......................the truthers, liberals, Paulistas.............you get the idea

I really don't care to watch the videos of that day as it still stirs me and pisses me off as much as it did that day..............that however doesn't mean I have forgotten it.

Even the bunnies remember 9/11 and blame the American hating terrorist
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 09:25:32 PM »

It should be required that the film from that awful morning be played back in real time, 8:30-11:00 AM Eastern.  On all channels.

The USA has totally wiped that morning from their minds. That is the only explanation of why nearly half support those who perpetrated it and have provided aid and comfort to The Enemy.

You supporters of the terrorists who did this: Screw You.  I hope you get to spend Quality Time with the bastards that want to destroy us.  I want for you to be slowly beheaded.  And I will watch a film of that with great satisfaction.  Because your treason against the USA deserves nothing less.

Yeah, you're right, it should. I keep thinking about it, even at parties, when it should be a time of having fun. I actually go to YouTube and watch 9/11 clips. I wish there was a DVD set of the 9/11 coverage from the first airplane crash to end of the news coverage on 9/15. The DVD should be available for free. Hell, it should be in the public domain.

To all the people who blame America for 9/11 and 9/11 Truthers, I have a message for you:
GO **** YOURSELVES YOU SHIT EATING SOULLESS ****ERS!!!!!!!! YOU ARE ALL ******* PATHETIC AND WORTHLESS EXCUSES OF DNA MOLECULES!!!!!!!! **** YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!!!
 :bird: :foff: :angryvillagers: :redbird:

FYI: You know it wasn't rabbits that did it.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »
Rabbits are more covert about the never ending war. Hijacking is not one of their tactics and were quick to condemn to the 9/11 terrorist attack along with the ptarmigans. In fact both ptarmigans and rabbits stopped fighting for a whole month because of it. In fact, there was even talk of a treaty because of 9/11.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:48:26 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 12:41:48 AM »
Rabbits are more covert about the never ending war. Hijacking is not one of their tactics and were quick to condemn to the 9/11 terrorist attack along with the ptarmigans. In fact both ptarmigans and rabbits stopped fighting for a whole month because of it. In fact, there was even talk of a treaty because of 9/11.

Fortunately, said treaty never materialized....
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 01:11:46 AM »

Fortunately, said treaty never materialized....

It was the Easter Bunny and Bugs Bunny fault.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 06:59:03 AM »
I was working at Starbucks still back then.  I had gone into work at 4:30am, and I believe I was supposed to get off around 10 for school. 

Well, Starbucks didn't have a tv or radio.  It was a normal Tuesday morning, busy as hell.  I was running a register.  Then after I rang up one of the regulars, he told us a plane hit the World Trade Center.  Then eventually another customer told us about the second one.  We were pumping all the customers when they came in for information.  The cell phone networks and regular phones were all tied up.  I was trying to call my dad and see WTF was going on.  My boss was doing the same, trying to call his wife.

We had no clue.  My time to leave came, and I stayed.  The rest of the staff went home except me, one girl and the manager.  Our DM, Kirby called and I talked with him a minute.  We were stunned. 

Starbucks never closes early, EVER.  And we were waiting word from Seattle to shut down.  I started pre-closing everything, washing dishes and getting prepped to close, at 11am.  It was strange.  Then eventually we got word.  At this point it was just me and the manager.  I wrote out a sign to put on the front door and this jackass customer came up right when we were pulling all the furniture in and said "Why are you closing?  It's not like we're in New York."  My manager just looked at him, dumbfounded and said in his angry papa voice "Some of us would like to be with our families right now."

It was around 2pm when we finally got out of there.  We went to this Colter's BBQ across the street.  It was me, my mananger, my roommate (a Starbucks store manager at a different store) and two other store managers.  Colter's had $2 beers on Tuesdays and most importantly a tv.  None of us had see a tv all morning.

We went and sat at the bar, the only customers in there.  And stared at the tv.  It was shocking.  We were quiet for a long time. 

Another thing, this was all in Las Colinas/Valley Ranch, Texas.  Near the DFW airport.  The silence of no planes in the sky was strange.  A not normal quiet.

When we left, I was driving home and I saw one of the planes AA was sending to New York loaded with supplies take off. 

Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 07:11:31 AM »
The way I remember it, I had just gotten done feeding some cats (not mine), and was trying to get the internet set up, as I had just days before moved here to the eastern slope of the Sandhills of Nebraska.

The first thing that popped on the internet was an e-mail from a nephew, telling me to hurry and turn on the television.  I did, but by then both towers had gone down, the Pentagon had been struck, and there were rumors of an airplane down somewhere in Pennsylvania.

The most memorable thing, for me, was a couple of days later, when there was some sort of national service at a cathedral in Washington, D.C.  There was George Bush, looking resolute and determined.  I hitched a bone-sound-conduction thingamajig up to the television, and the first thing that resonated through the skeletal structure was "A Mighty Fortress is Our God," which I have since thought should be our national anthem.

Over the past seven years, I've often regretted that all those decent and civilized people died, and that it was too bad the towers weren't loaded with primitives instead that morning; the world and humanity in general would've emerged much better off.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 07:36:28 AM »
I was sitting right here at my computer (diff computer, diff desk though) when my oldest son says from the living room "Dad, you better come see this..."

I remember exactly where I was on the I-215 driving to work and heard on the radio that the second had tower collapsed.

Later in the day everyone at my work stood outside with lit candles for the people who had died. Plus we were told the company would reimburse us for any flags we bought to fly at home, work or on our cars.

It WAS a different world before 9-11. Its one of those defining moments like when I was a kid and saw my mom standing at the kitchen sink crying her eyes out in Nov 1963. I asked what was wrong and she said the President had just been killed. Or when I was at March AFB in 1981 trying to find an account when I heard that Ronald Reagan had been shot.

These people who are in denial about the different path our world took that day are too afraid to face the truth of what a dangerous world we live in. Those same people probably do think that Islam is a religion of peace and that we deserved what happened at the WTC. **** 'em.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 07:40:30 AM »
That day, weatherwise, was a lot like today here. Crystal clear. Perfect. I remember walking into school to teach thinking about how beautiful the day was. The first plane hit while I was with my homeroom class. I had the next period off. We were in the faculty room in complete silence. Riding home, there were police cars at every exit on I-95. My wife was pregnant with our first child. Before bed, I was on my knees praying for the world I was bringing a child into. I didn't sleep much that night.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 07:45:18 AM »
My husband took me on a crusie to Alaska for my BD in early Sept. I was sleeping soundly in a hotel room in Fairbanks when he woke me up and said "look at the TV we are being attacked" it was somewhere around 5AM and pitch dark in the room, I took a look through my sleepy little eyes and thought "this looks like a die hard movie" went into the bathroom and the next words out of his mouth were "there are people jumping out of that building" my knees went weak and my heart broke. When the pentagon was struck I thought we are probably going to war. It was another week before we could catch a plane home to Florida. The Alaskan people were wonderful.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 08:00:55 AM »
At the time, I used to walk to work, so left home around 6:30 to get to work around 8.  I don't do TV or radio in the morning.  My first hour at work was dedicated to phone calls and faxes, so I could catch Rush at 9:00.  (They let us listen to radios in that department)   But on that day I decided not to listen to Rush as he had been getting boring.  It was all  about the Augusta golf tournament.  The news right about then was horribly trivial.

Anyway, everyone in the office was real quiet, listening to their radios and not talking much and I had no clue until I called the main branch in Denver.  The lady  there she was in a rush because they were closing down the main tower in Denver.  I asked what is going on in Denver and she told me both of the World trade center towers had been taken down by aircraft.  I couldn't believe it.  I refused to believe it.  I had been there.  Those things were huge.   They couldn't fall down in a single morning.  She hung up and then I listened to the radio.

I remember I kept the TV off when the kids got back home, and when they went to bed then I watched what happened.  I still couldn't believe it.

What I remembered as the most chilling was the staff at a new york hospital waiting for survivors to be brought in from the site.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 08:13:09 AM »
It's probably the single most defining moment in my life.

Put things into sharp focus and perspective for me.

It's the reason I'm back on active duty today.

And seven years down the road it does NOT get easier to remember what I was doing that morning.

:usflag:

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 08:45:20 AM »
I was in Laurel Maryland getting my oil changed.  Our son was about 12 days old and my wife was still on maternity leave and it was the first time I had been out of the house on errands in a while.  And it was a beautiful day.

I left the Quick Lube just as they were announcing that a plane had hit one of the WTC towers. I took it in as kind of a background abstract. I was wondering which Cessna or Cherokee pilot had taken a wrong turn and augured into a building actually.  When I came out from the gas station they announced it was a passenger jet and my hackles stood up a little and I was thinking Holy Crap those poor people in New York.  A few minutes later I was in the pet store getting food and the radio the clerks were listening to announced that a second passenger jet hit the other tower.
When they said that it was apparently deliberate and that there were other planes airborne and inbound I dumped my crap and jumped in the car and headed for home.

I was in a small caravan of vehicles heading for Fort Meade and we were running in a line with our hazards on hitting 65 on the surface streets. Our quarters at Meade were in the field grade officers section a stones throw from the main NSA facilities. And right below the glide path for BWI Airport.  I wasn't worried about debris from something hitting the NSA Building so much as I was our quarters getting hit by chunks of passenger jet when they took it down with missiles or guns. On the road to the base we almost got run off the road by a column of blue suburbans led by a state police car that was running up the center line flat out headed for the interstate. I have no idea to this day who might have been at the base that they were getting out of dodge that day.

Waiting in line to get through the gate when the news hit that the Pentagon had been hit.  I may have been one of the last people to ever get onto Fort Meade with a simple ID check and a wave because as I was pulling away from the gaurd a duece and a half and humvees full troops were piling past to secure the gate area and ever after that it was a stone bitch getting through the barracades and vehicle checks. I had a good laugh when in the following days people were bitching about the "Libertys" they were giving up in the name of security.  Everytime I went grocery shopping with my kids after that day I was subject to a full vehicle search while some kid with a machine gun covered my car.

I walked in the door and my wife was standing in front of the TV and there was one of the WTC towers coming down.
I had heard about the collapse on the radio and it took her a minute to get the words out that it wasn't a replay of the first tower going but a live shot of the second coming down.  We moved the crib away from the windows and into a protected hallway and then I ran to my daughters school and pulled her out.  They were standing there with a clipboard in the lunchroom checking the kids off as they were picked up. They had already cancelled classes.

When we got home I was feeling something was "Off" and it took me a while to realize that it was the absense of noise every 10 minutes or so as a jet for BWI would coast over headed for a landing. When we heard jet engines overhead I rushed out in the back yard and looked up in a mild panic and burst into tears when I saw the two F-15's flying CAP over the base. My neighbor was a LTC in the Air Force and he was out there with me doing the same thing.

Spent a good chunk of the day playing "Are you alive" with friends of ours that worked or had duty at the Pentagon.  One of our best friends missed dying with her coworkers and the army folks they were meeting with by the grace of a Starbucks stop and bad traffic that delayed her. She spent the morning helping to get the walking wounded headed to where the medics and the EMTs were doing aid, lent a hand carrying a couple of stretchers and then went home and crawled into bed for three days. We accounted for everyone we knew and it was a week before we found out that the wife of my wife's assignment officer and the guy who had helped her steer her career to best effect died that morning. He always told her it was his job to look after a fellow Sicillian. God Bless him we would not be where we are today without the guidance he gave her.
He had retired the year before because he wanted to spend more time with her after so many weeks and months spent apart over his career.

I watched things unfold over the next few days on TV.

I was never really a political guy before 9/11.  It was my wake up call.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 08:48:17 AM by asdf2231 »

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 06:09:05 AM »
I was working at Starbucks still back then.  I had gone into work at 4:30am, and I believe I was supposed to get off around 10 for school. 

Well, Starbucks didn't have a tv or radio.  It was a normal Tuesday morning, busy as hell.  I was running a register.  Then after I rang up one of the regulars, he told us a plane hit the World Trade Center.  Then eventually another customer told us about the second one.  We were pumping all the customers when they came in for information.  The cell phone networks and regular phones were all tied up.  I was trying to call my dad and see WTF was going on.  My boss was doing the same, trying to call his wife.

We had no clue.  My time to leave came, and I stayed.  The rest of the staff went home except me, one girl and the manager.  Our DM, Kirby called and I talked with him a minute.  We were stunned. 

Starbucks never closes early, EVER.  And we were waiting word from Seattle to shut down.  I started pre-closing everything, washing dishes and getting prepped to close, at 11am.  It was strange.  Then eventually we got word.  At this point it was just me and the manager.  I wrote out a sign to put on the front door and this jackass customer came up right when we were pulling all the furniture in and said "Why are you closing?  It's not like we're in New York."  My manager just looked at him, dumbfounded and said in his angry papa voice "Some of us would like to be with our families right now."

It was around 2pm when we finally got out of there.  We went to this Colter's BBQ across the street.  It was me, my mananger, my roommate (a Starbucks store manager at a different store) and two other store managers.  Colter's had $2 beers on Tuesdays and most importantly a tv.  None of us had see a tv all morning.

We went and sat at the bar, the only customers in there.  And stared at the tv.  It was shocking.  We were quiet for a long time. 

Another thing, this was all in Las Colinas/Valley Ranch, Texas.  Near the DFW airport.  The silence of no planes in the sky was strange.  A not normal quiet.

When we left, I was driving home and I saw one of the planes AA was sending to New York loaded with supplies take off. 

We weren't far from each other then! I was working in Dallas and my office was near Texas Stadium. We would often eat at Jason's Deli outside or somewhere in Los Colinas and it was eery not to hear/see planes.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »
We weren't far from each other then! I was working in Dallas and my office was near Texas Stadium. We would often eat at Jason's Deli outside or somewhere in Los Colinas and it was eery not to hear/see planes.

I was at that Starbucks there at 635 & MacArthur then, across the street from that Jason's  Deli.  That Colter's we went to was in the same shopping center as Jason's Deli.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 08:57:05 PM »
I was home and sleeping in on my day off. I was awoken by the sound of hte TV in the living room since my father can't hear well if at all. He lost most of his hearing to old age and from illness during his stay at a German POW camp during WWII.

I got up to see the first tower was on fire,no one knew what had taken place. After awhile ifigured like some of the news people that it was a repete of the accident during or after WWII of a plane hitting the Empire State Building only it was the WTC this time. The talking heads were still going on about the causes and I decided to go see if anyone at my unit had heard about it. Surprisingly enough they had no clue. They had the radio and the TV in the exercise room turned off. I told them about what happened and the three of us went to take a look at the news on TV. Myself,SFC Wilson and SSG Hausen watched as the second plane flew into the second tower and thats when we all knew we were going to war.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 10:55:07 PM »
I watched a documentary on the History Channel last night "107 minutes that Changed the World."  It was a mix of amature video tape, 911 calls, the police/fire radio and a few cell calls seamlessly edited together.  It was amazing.  I was completely reminded of how I felt that day, and I admit, I cried a bit as well.  It's not for the squimish, they did show a few of the people that jumped to their death (not up close, but for instance someone far away was video taping the first tower that was hit and it showed them falling down the side, but it also showed the shock of those that were seeing it). 
Stink Eye

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »
If the Sept 11th attacks had taken place a month later my older brother dennis might not be here today. He was a Navy Reserve officer, a Commander at the time and his offices were working at another location at the time the plane hit the Pentagon. Also a niece of mine was at work in D.C. when she saw the plane hit the Pentagon from her office window.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"