Author Topic: 538: Are The Democrats Screwed In The Senate After 2024?  (Read 279 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
538: Are The Democrats Screwed In The Senate After 2024?
« on: December 11, 2022, 07:43:45 PM »
Statistician and analyst Nate Silver of 538 may be a liberal at heart, but this is a pretty solid and interesting piece:

I’m not that impressed by long-term projections of Democratic doom in the Senate. Mostly that’s because I’m not that impressed by long-term political projections in general. Political coalitions change; not many people would have had it on their bingo card that Democrats would obtain a Senate majority in 2020 by winning two runoffs in Georgia, and then would actually expand on that majority in 2022 following another runoff in Georgia despite their party controlling the White House.

With that said, while I don’t think we can say very much about what politics will look like 10 or 20 years from now, a medium-term look-ahead is possible. Do Democrats have a reasonable hope of regaining a trifecta — control of the House, Senate and presidency — at any point in the near future (2024, 2026 or 2028)? And how long will they hold onto control of the Senate and the presidency, allowing them to appoint Supreme Court justices without Republican help?

My colleague Geoffrey Skelley already took an initial look at the 2024 Senate map, which is bad for Democrats, but I wanted to dig slightly deeper and also consider 2026 and 2028. Like Geoffrey, I’ll be focused on the Senate, because that’s the weakest link in Democrats’ effort to win back the trifecta. Despite some disadvantages in the Electoral College, Democrats obviously have no trouble winning the presidency. And they nearly held onto the House this year despite losing the popular vote for the House. The current House map doesn’t have much — if any — of a Republican skew, and Democrats should be able to win back the House if the national political environment is reasonably good for them.

So let’s look at the 2024, 2026 and 2028 Senate maps (yes, 2028 features the same map as the midterm we just finished; I just can’t let go, I guess). We’ll classify races into bronze, silver, gold and platinum “tiers” in terms of how feasible they are as pickup opportunities. I’m deliberately using this goofy metallurgical theme as opposed to the categories FiveThirtyEight typically uses (e.g., “toss-up,” “lean Republican”) so you’ll recognize these as being back-of-the-envelope suppositions rather than any sort of official race ratings.

In general, these ratings lean heavily on looking at how close a race was the last time it was contested, with some subjective adjustments for candidate quality. I’m also considering how the electoral environment has shifted within the state — Florida has gotten redder since Rick Scott was elected in 2018, for instance — although it is definitely not always safe to assume a state will continue trending in the same direction.

Republican pickup opportunities

Platinum tier: West Virginia (Manchin), Montana (Tester), Ohio (Brown),

Gold tier: Arizona (Sinema), Nevada (Rosen)

Silver tier: Wisconsin (Baldwin), Michigan (Stabenow), Pennsylvania (Casey)

Bronze tier: New Jersey (Menendez), Virginia (Kaine)

Democratic pickup opportunities

Platinum tier: None

Gold tier: None

Silver tier: Texas (Cruz), Florida (Scott)

Bronze tier: None

Gold tier: Georgia (Ossoff), Michigan (Peters)

Silver tier: New Hampshire (Shaheen)

Bronze tier: Minnesota (Smith), Virginia (Warner)

Gold tier: Maine (Collins), North Carolina (Tillis)

Silver tier: Alaska (Sullivan)

Bronze tier: Texas (Cornyn), Iowa (Ernst)

Gold tier: Nevada (Cortez Masto), Pennsylvania (Fetterman), Arizona (Kelly), Georgia (Warnock)

Silver tier: New Hampshire (Hassan)

Bronze tier: Oregon (Wyden)

Gold tier: Wisconsin (Johnson), North Carolina (Budd)

Silver tier: Vance (Ohio)

Bronze tier: Alaska (Murkowski), Florida (Rubio), Utah (Lee), Iowa (Grassley)

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-senate-chances-2024-and-beyond/
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: 538: Are The Democrats Screwed In The Senate After 2024?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 08:08:07 PM »
So long as Republicans aren't willing to commit to a 2nd Battle of Athens to arrest what we all KNOW is going on in the modern Dim'Rat election shenanigans departments, the Dim'Rats are going to continue to defraud a hold on power out of the American electorate and continue to provide political cover to the Deep State's extra-Constitutional activities against you and I.

It's as simple as that.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: 538: Are The Democrats Screwed In The Senate After 2024?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 06:15:54 AM »
So long as Republicans aren't willing to commit to a 2nd Battle of Athens to arrest what we all KNOW is going on in the modern Dim'Rat election shenanigans departments, the Dim'Rats are going to continue to defraud a hold on power out of the American electorate and continue to provide political cover to the Deep State's extra-Constitutional activities against you and I.

It's as simple as that.

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Nowhere in Silver's analysis does he mention the impact of mail-in balloting, ballot harvesting, and the other crap that the Dems have shoved down the throats of the American voter.

So I take his "analysis" with about 3 grains of salt.  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.