Author Topic: Today would be a very good day for you know what  (Read 329 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Today would be a very good day for you know what
« on: November 11, 2022, 09:50:53 AM »
Star Member malaise (249,807 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100217351195

Today would be a very good day for you know what

It would remind the planet that the USA truly believes that no one is above the law.
Just saying. Happy Friday!😀

:whatever:

Star Member Raven (13,572 posts)

4. Any day would be good, Malaise! But, I think Garland will wait until

after Georgia. Maybe he'll give TFG an early Christmas present.

snowybirdie (4,223 posts)

5. Doubt it

His daughter, Tiffany, is getting married at MAL tomorrow. Justice won't do it today.

Gato Moteado (9,239 posts)

15. That makes it the absolute perfect day for it!

Drag him out in front of the whole crowd.

Star Member barbtries (26,441 posts)

9. just about anyone else

would already be in jail. he ain't so goddam special.

Star Member jaxexpat (4,409 posts)

23. I'm thinking the planet may be wise to us about now.

Simply indicting TFG at this juncture might appear pretty lame when stacked against all the awful shit he's done his entire life. I'm guessing some Ukrainians, for instance, huddled in the bombed-out shell of what was once their home, won't be too impressed. And most shithole countries will again awaken to find they're still considered shithole countries.

Star Member PatrickforB (13,796 posts)

28. I'm not sure what you're referring to here. I know my dad fought in the Pacific in WWII.

Today we do recognize our veterans.

There are two in my family who were adversely affected (TBI, PTSD) by the last forever war. When the oldest came home a few years ago after having seen combat over two tours in Afghanstan, I asked him what he thought the reason was that we were fighting, and he just shook his head. Said he didn't know. He is a househusband now, and fortunately his wife does well financially.

The second was in special forces, in combat in Afghanistan. They were manning a mortar position. They are only supposed to fire seven or eight mortar shells at a time before being relieved, but there were not enough people in the position, and they were under fire, so he fired 96 shells, which did permanent damage to his brain. He will be getting a medical retirement and plans a quiet life working on motorcycles.

:thatsright:

My cousin M was in the US Navy during Vietnam, and he came back bitter. Nam was all about the Military Industrial Complex boosting shareholder profits, and little boys in suits (Macnamara) and general's uniforms (Westmoreland) lying to us the whole time because they wanted to play with their war toys (I loooove the smell of napalm in the morning!).

When W was elected and unilaterally started the wars in Iraq (based on lies about WMD), and Afghanistan (we just needed to send troops SOMEWHERE after 911, didn't we?), he, Condi Rice, Rumsfeld, Cheney and the rest were war criminals. When Obama beat McCain in '08, IF we actually believed that no one is above the law, we would have prosecuted war crimes cases against them.

But we didn't.

You know, Malaise, I think the last time this country had the will to actually try a president for crimes was in the days of Nixon. I believe that, if Ford had not pardoned him, he would have stood trial. Problem is, who compelled Ford to give him a pardon and why? Because to prosecute a US president would 'create some kind of "dangerous" precedent?' I wonder.

We all know Trump should be in prison right now. Bannon, Miller, DeVos, McCarthy, Cruz, Hawley and the rest tried to tear down this republic.

The only thing that got us off the hook this time was GenZ. The kids. They are pissed about guns, climate change, student debt, and abortion. And they voted. Otherwise we would have been pasted just like in 1994 and 2010 - Boomers broke for Republicans by double digits, as did GenX. Why, Malaise? You know, these kids I speak to, and I see a bunch of them, don't have much love for our party. They see it as the lesser of two evils, and corporate.

Honestly, until we force change in corporate governance away from shareholder primacy (profits over people) as a standing legal precedent (Dodge Bros v Henry Ford, 1919, MI Supreme Court), and change it to a stakeholder approach wherein publicly held corporations would have to consider worker and consumer interests, AND the environment on equal terms with shareholders, we won't get too far.

Bernie is right on about needed changes to the tax code too.

Too bad the media doesn't report the real truth (Powell Memorandum to US Chamber of Commerce, 1971, followed by Reagan killing the Fairness Doctrine), so Americans generally DON'T KNOW the real truth. Many older voters went R because of inflation. And older voters? Republican EVEN THOUGH they want to impose massive cuts on Social Security, ideally a privatization like Bush tried in '04, and increase the premium costs of Medicare substantially. They lie - neither of these programs contributes to the deficit because they are social insurance programs. But the media doesn't report that, does it?

I just read a piece in the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/opinion/midterms-republicans-democrats-history.html that talks about how this country will continue to be divided until there is a 'shock' like the Great Depression which gave us the New Deal Order (what he calls it), and the aftermath of Watergate and Nam, which gave us the Reagan Revolution.

Until such a shock, the author of this Op Ed says, neither party will gain the seats necessary to impose real policy changes. Even Obama and the Dems in '09 took Medicare for all off the table and gave us the ACA. Health insurance inflation in October was at 5.4% I think, while health insurance inflation was still over 20%. The system is still private non- or for-profit, and you can look at my signature line to see the reasoning against the continuation of that system.

THIS IS ALL, AND ALWAYS, ABOUT MONEY. CORPORATE PROFITS. TAX POLICIES THAT SYSTEMATICALLY SUCK MONEY OUT OF OUR TREASURY TO LINE THE POCKETS OF BILLIONAIRE PARASITES AND SHAREHOLDERS.

Sorry for the all caps. I'm not yelling at you or anyone else, but I AM saying that the shareholder primacy brand of capitalism we have now is an EVIL system that encourages sociopathy - lies, greed, divisiveness, racism, lately anti-Semitism, xenophobia, homo- and transphobia. All of that goes straight back to the big capitalists, the billionaires like the Mercers, the Waltons, Elon Musk (my isn't he having the time with Twitter?) and the rest of these parasites. Every billionaire really IS a failure in tax policy and an affront to decency.

Ah but I ramble. I will believe no one is above the law when I see Trump in an orange jumpsuit and shackles.

:bird:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline landofconfusion80

Re: Today would be a very good day for you know what
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 10:59:06 AM »
Wow!!! They're ready to embrace punishing biden for his Ukraine and China corruption?
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 11:04:39 AM »
It would remind the planet that the USA truly believes that no one is above the law.
Just saying. Happy Friday

Old Yeller and son would disagree.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 11:38:02 AM »
Does mal have the Rs' draft plans to investigate Hunter's pay-to-play influence peddling and Joe's ties thereto? :rotf:  :tongue:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 12:11:06 PM »
Wow!!! They're ready to embrace punishing biden for his Ukraine and China corruption?

Beat me too that!

HI5  :cheersmate:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.