Author Topic: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.  (Read 49913 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »
6-4 Dodgers, bottom of the 8th.

Hay, we can hope for a freeway Series, can't we?

shhhhhhh!  the baseball gods can hear you!
:lmao:
I can't wait until the season is over and you come crawling back like a scalded hound with your tail tucked between your legs
then I can say.."see..what did THEY ever do for you?"...

After 1 playoff win in 20 years, you really can't hope for disappointment now, can you?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2008, 12:36:43 AM »
Dodgers and Angels both win.

I think that clinches the Angels home field for the playoffs. The big question there: Will they hit 100 wins?

As for the Dodgers, their magic number is 1. They might not break WE's heart after all.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2008, 01:01:32 AM »
Dodgers and Angels both win.

I think that clinches the Angels home field for the playoffs. The big question there: Will they hit 100 wins?

As for the Dodgers, their magic number is 1. They might not break WE's heart after all.

It won't matter what they clich... Boston becomes something else in the post season.  They've got Anaheim tucked away securely in their hip pocket. 

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2008, 01:03:25 AM »
The Phils have a better chance of shrinking their magic number today, by not even playing, than they do against Washington.   ::) ::) ::)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2008, 04:19:25 AM »
I was asked by a bunch of Yankmes fans today what I'm going to do if the Mets don't make it.  My answer is this:  Deer season starts soon.  :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2008, 06:40:45 AM »
I was asked by a bunch of Yankmes fans today what I'm going to do if the Mets don't make it.  My answer is this:  Deer season starts soon.  :tongue:

You should have asked them how proud they were to close down Yankee Stadium in September.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2008, 09:35:35 AM »

You should have asked them how proud they were to close down Yankee Stadium in September.

Thank you for that, Red.  (Who says Phillthies' fans aren't good for anything? :tongue: )
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #257 on: September 25, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »

Thank you for that, Red.  (Who says Phillthies' fans aren't good for anything? :tongue: )

:greet:  I'm just here to speak truth to power, that's all.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »
*ahem*

The Los Angeles Dodgers are the National League Western Division Champions. :)

and they couldn't have possibly been more annoying this season :banghead: :-)

** edited to fix unclear meaning **
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:04:25 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #259 on: September 25, 2008, 04:58:13 PM »
Would that be by the DBacks losing to the Cardinals?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Would that be by the DBacks losing to the Cardinals?

well, yes, that is how it happened.  but I was referring to the entire season when i said that they were annoying. :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
This years Dodgers are much like last years Cubs team.  They hung around close in second place until the last few weeks before making a charge for first.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2008, 05:33:52 PM »
Phillies vs. Dodgers, huh? That should be wild.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
Phillies vs. Dodgers, huh? That should be wild.

That assumes that the other series will be Mets v. Cubs.  :tongue: :-)

Chase her.

Offline jendf

« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2008, 06:03:07 PM »
This years Dodgers are much like last years Cubs team.  They hung around close in second place until the last few weeks before making a charge for first.

The D-backs helped them out a bit by deciding to SUCK the last month and a half.

No offense to the Dodgers or WE. LOL.  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »
*ahem*

Tell me about it.  Well, Ramirez certainly has given them some umph.

It looks like LA has the lo/hi in the playoffs (LAD/LAA).

No matter how much you hate the Angels, a Freeway Series would let us thumb our noses at the sports media bias very, very, very much against all west coast teams.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2008, 10:49:13 PM »

The D-backs helped them out a bit by deciding to SUCK the last month and a half.

No offense to the Dodgers or WE. LOL.  :-)

no offense taken. :-)

the season turned during the first two weeks of september, give or take.  Az was leading the division by 4 at the end of august, and went into a 3-9 slump, while LA won 10 of 12 to start the month, including a 3 game sweep of the Dbacks in LA.  by september 15, LA was 3.5 games up in the division, and that turned out to be decisive.

two weeks out of a six month long season.  a blink of an eye, really.  baseball is truly a cruel and heartless bitch.

I am just glad that LA isn't going to san fransisco having to win 2 of 3, or something like that.  I was having nightmares about those freaking jint people. :uhsure: :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »
*ahem*

No matter how much you hate the Angels, a Freeway Series would let us thumb our noses at the sports media bias very, very, very much against all west coast teams.

if the season turned in september, then andre ethier should get a great deal of credit for LA's success.  he hit .455/.543/.697 in september, to manny's .373/.468/.787.  they both OPS'ed about 1.25 for the month, but if manny didn't have an utterly super human SLG for the month, ethier would have posted much better numbers.  and ethier doesn't get much credit for it. 

of course, ethier spent a good part of september hitting in front of ramirez, which oddly coincided with his numbers going insane. :-)

still, joe torre deserves a great deal of credit for starting ethier over pierre on opening day.  not too many managers would have started a kid over a $44M bust that the GM signed, and undoubtedly wanted to see in the lineup every night.

LA got andre ethier straight up in the milton bradley trade with oakland, by the way.  paul depodesta made that trade, if memory serves.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2008, 11:34:23 PM »
*ahem*

if the season turned in september, then andre ethier should get a great deal of credit for LA's success.  he hit .455/.543/.697 in september, to manny's .373/.468/.787.  they both OPS'ed about 1.25 for the month, but if manny didn't have an utterly super human SLG for the month, ethier would have posted much better numbers.  and ethier doesn't get much credit for it. 

of course, ethier spent a good part of september hitting in front of ramirez, which oddly coincided with his numbers going insane. :-)

still, joe torre deserves a great deal of credit for starting ethier over pierre on opening day.  not too many managers would have started a kid over a $44M bust that the GM signed, and undoubtedly wanted to see in the lineup every night.

LA got andre ethier straight up in the milton bradley trade with oakland, by the way.  paul depodesta made that trade, if memory serves.
I didn't understand a single word you said.  Is this little baseball thingee over yet?
come to bed darlin....

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »
*ahem*

I didn't understand a single word you said.  Is this little baseball thingee over yet?
come to bed darlin....

'fraid not, dear.  we get extra baseball this year.  I know you're excited. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2008, 12:03:21 AM »

Nothing succeeds like success.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »

yeah, but success can't succeed if he never gets an at bat. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »

You lost me.  But I am in EDT, so it is > 1:00 AM here...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »

You lost me.  But I am in EDT, so it is > 1:00 AM here...

you only visit EDT.  I live in it. :-)

(I thought you were speaking of ethier's success . . . )

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2008, 12:45:25 AM »
*ahem*

come to bed darlin....

'fraid not, dear.  we get extra baseball this year.  I know you're excited. :-)
:banghead: