Author Topic: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.  (Read 49854 times)

Offline jendf

Re: the nl east and the nl west will be a RACE down to the wire.
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »
That will be interesting. I'm guessing the Giants really aren't too keen on letting the Dodgers win a trip to the postseason on their home turf. Winning to ruin someone else's chances is a great motivator.  :evillaugh:

The Giants and Dodgers have been knocking each other out of the playoffs since Moses first said "Let my People Go -- PLAY BALL!"

It is a special hate we have for each other. A pure hate, unsullied by any remorse or kind thoughts.

Awesome.  :-)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2008, 05:32:44 AM »
Johan Santana did exactly what the Mets paid him $137.5 million for.  He pitched pretty well last night, then got a single on a weird broken-bat hit.  He was looking to bunt, drew back, and swung, sawing the bat off about ten inches up.  The head of the bat got in front of the ball, and deflected what would have been a rally-killing double play ball past both the shortstop and the second baseman.  Jose Reyes hit a bases-clearing triple shortly thereafter, and Reyes was flying as he turned first--and he was not catching up to Santana as Santana was running around the bases.  An inning earlier, on a David Wright single to left, Santana nearly ran over Nick Evans coming home from third, as Santana seems to have some wheels.  Too bad that he can't pitch again until Sunday . . . though I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerry Manuel use him for an inning on Friday night against the Marlins (his "throw day").  The Phillthies lost when Hole Camels threw a pickoff attempt away, and Prince Fielder hit a walkoff 2-run HR to beat the Pirates.  Mets 1 1/2 back of the Phillthies, and one ahead of the Brew Crew.  Problem for the Mets--they face Carlos "The Animal" Zambrano tonight, and Rich Harden tomorrow.  Both will likely be under strict pitch counts, though.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2008, 07:39:25 AM »
The Mets did well against the Cubs 6th starter.  :fuelfire:

I'm worried about Zambrano, his last outing was harsh, and most college pitchers could have fared better. Not only are the pitchers on low  pitch counts, the regular players aren't seeing as much playing time.  No need to take a chance on an injury with  the division and home field advantage in the bag.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2008, 07:48:12 AM »
That will be interesting. I'm guessing the Giants really aren't too keen on letting the Dodgers win a trip to the postseason on their home turf. Winning to ruin someone else's chances is a great motivator.  :evillaugh:

The Giants and Dodgers have been knocking each other out of the playoffs since Moses first said "Let my People Go -- PLAY BALL!"

It is a special hate we have for each other. A pure hate, unsullied by any remorse or kind thoughts.

these two teams hate each other so intensely that when one left NY for the west coast, the other one had to follow it.  it was as though the  hatred had become so large that it developed the property of gravitational attraction.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2008, 08:01:17 AM »
The Phillthies lost when Hole Camels threw a pickoff attempt away

It was still a quality start and a very winnable game.  Any time you strand the bases loaded, the pitcher should be allowed to pork your girlfriend.  Fair is fair. 

Still no reason to panic... their big-boy bats should show up tonight.  2 out of 3 ain't bad. 

^ Meatloaf again, MA  :-)

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2008, 08:44:53 AM »
The Phillthies lost when Hole Camels threw a pickoff attempt away

It was still a quality start and a very winnable game.  Any time you strand the bases loaded, the pitcher should be allowed to pork your girlfriend.  Fair is fair. 

Still no reason to panic... their big-boy bats should show up tonight.  2 out of 3 ain't bad. 

^ Meatloaf again, MA  :-)
baby we could talk all night, but that ain't getting us nowhere

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »
Johan Santana did exactly what the Mets paid him $137.5 million for.  He pitched pretty well last night, then got a single on a weird broken-bat hit.  He was looking to bunt, drew back, and swung, sawing the bat off about ten inches up.  The head of the bat got in front of the ball, and deflected what would have been a rally-killing double play ball past both the shortstop and the second baseman.  Jose Reyes hit a bases-clearing triple shortly thereafter, and Reyes was flying as he turned first--and he was not catching up to Santana as Santana was running around the bases.  An inning earlier, on a David Wright single to left, Santana nearly ran over Nick Evans coming home from third, as Santana seems to have some wheels.  Too bad that he can't pitch again until Sunday . . . though I wouldn't be surprised to see Jerry Manuel use him for an inning on Friday night against the Marlins (his "throw day").  The Phillthies lost when Hole Camels threw a pickoff attempt away, and Prince Fielder hit a walkoff 2-run HR to beat the Pirates.  Mets 1 1/2 back of the Phillthies, and one ahead of the Brew Crew.  Problem for the Mets--they face Carlos "The Animal" Zambrano tonight, and Rich Harden tomorrow.  Both will likely be under strict pitch counts, though.

You need another starter that rhymes with "rain."  "Johan and Maine and pray for rain" just doesn't cut it.   :-)

I was watching them talk about Sabathia on PTI tonight.  The Brew Crew is trying to use him on short rest again.  Without Sheets, they're sunk.  Whichever one of us doesn't have the East this year will have the wild card.  But something hit me... I think the Phils are gonna sign CC in the off-season.  We've got Tom Gordon going away, Adam Eaton going away, Pat Burrell could easily be going away, Kendrick and Happ will be two big question marks, Moyer ain't getting any younger, and Johan will still be a Met for too damn long.  Sure, Hamels and Howard will get arbitration again.  But ya know, we've managed to bank a buck or two with all these sell outs this year.  CC Sabathia is a Phillie next year.  You heard it here first.   :popcorn:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2008, 05:13:10 PM »

You need another starter that rhymes with "rain."  "Johan and Maine and pray for rain" just doesn't cut it.   :-)

I was watching them talk about Sabathia on PTI tonight.  The Brew Crew is trying to use him on short rest again.  Without Sheets, they're sunk.  Whichever one of us doesn't have the East this year will have the wild card.  But something hit me... I think the Phils are gonna sign CC in the off-season.  We've got Tom Gordon going away, Adam Eaton going away, Pat Burrell could easily be going away, Kendrick and Happ will be two big question marks, Moyer ain't getting any younger, and Johan will still be a Met for too damn long.  Sure, Hamels and Howard will get arbitration again.  But ya know, we've managed to bank a buck or two with all these sell outs this year.  CC Sabathia is a Phillie next year.  You heard it here first.   :popcorn:

:mental:

Ya know, Aerosmith wrote a song about that . . .

Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face gettin' clearer...
The past has gone
It went by like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay

Oooh I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life's in books written pages
Live and learnin' from fools and from sages
You know it's true
And all the things come back to you

Sing with me sing for the year
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tear
Sing with me if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow good Lord take you away

Oooh sing with me sing for the year
Sing for the laughter and sing for the tear

Oooh... dream on dream on dream on
Dream yourself a dream come true
Dream on dream on dream on
Dream 'til your dreams come true

Dream on... aahh ah ah ah ah...

Sing with me sing for the tear
Sing for the laughter sing for the tear
Sing a with me sing for the tear
Sing for laughter and sing for the tear

Sabathia' s got a home in Northern California.  He'll get $30 mil a year, and even though he'll be wanting a six-plus year deal, he deserves a four-year deal  Reason being that his knees are probably going to give out about then.  That notwithstanding, if Ned Coletti decides to open the checkbook, Sabathia's in Dodger blue.  I'd put the Giants on the list higher than the Phillthies.  Hell, I'd put the Mets higgher on that list, than the Phillthies.  (New stadium, more revenue, etc.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »
Sabathia' s got a home in Northern California.  He'll get $30 mil a year, and even though he'll be wanting a six-plus year deal, he deserves a four-year deal  Reason being that his knees are probably going to give out about then.  That notwithstanding, if Ned Coletti decides to open the checkbook, Sabathia's in Dodger blue.  I'd put the Giants on the list higher than the Phillthies.  Hell, I'd put the Mets higgher on that list, than the Phillthies.  (New stadium, more revenue, etc.)

A lot of Phillies have a home in California.  So what?  And why do you think the Phils are without revenue?  We've been making money hand over fist.  We're not Florida, here.  Our frugal GM is in his last year, too.  The new one has an opportunity to make a bold move.  We took a shot at him before he went to Milwaukee, and we're gonna take a shot at him again.  And are the Dodgers gonna pay for Manny AND Sabathia, considering how well they spent money this year?  It ain't so crazy, don't count us out of the CC Sweeps. 

But that's neither here nor there for the time being.  We've got this division in the palm of our hands now.  We just NEED to beat Atlanta again tonight.  Werth and Burrell better start swinging the bats again.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:36:25 PM by Red October »

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »
Oh, and our stadium is new and spiffy too.  Way to play catch-up  :tongue:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2008, 05:34:53 PM »
And of course, if it doesn't happen (and if our new GM comes from in-house, it won't), I can always say "Meh... over-paid, over-rated.  Who needs him."  So, for me on a blog, it's a win-win.   :-)

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:25 PM »
FFS Myers!   :banghead:

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2008, 07:57:25 PM »
:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

They can not be serious right now.   :maddernhell:

Offline jendf

« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2008, 10:31:11 PM »
Welp, my hopes for the D-backs are dwindling after tonight's performance. *sighs* I hate this game.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2008, 10:41:03 PM »
Welp, my hopes for the D-backs are dwindling after tonight's performance. *sighs* I hate this game.

I note the absence of WE -- I think he's afraid of putting the kabosh on Big Blue.

I, OTOH, have no such fear.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
The Mets fell back to a tie with the Brewers in the wildcard race. There were some unhappy fans in the 10th inning.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2008, 10:59:34 PM »

I note the absence of WE -- I think he's afraid of putting the kabosh on Big Blue.

I, OTOH, have no such fear.

Poor WE...am dedicating this one to him, he always starts out so hopeful, then his hopes and dreams are crushed like an empty beer can
[youtube=425,350]OLIwvYUfTt0[/youtube]

Offline jendf

« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »
My head hurts. I hate September.  :argh:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:05 PM »
6-4 Dodgers, bottom of the 8th.

Hay, we can hope for a freeway Series, can't we?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2008, 12:00:35 AM »

shhhhhhh!  the baseball gods can hear you!

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2008, 12:03:29 AM »

shhhhhhh!  the baseball gods can hear you!
:lmao:
I can't wait until the season is over and you come crawling back like a scalded hound with your tail tucked between your legs
then I can say.."see..what did THEY ever do for you?"...

Offline jendf

« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2008, 12:15:02 AM »
Are the Padres even trying? Everytime I refresh the page, the Dodgers have another run. Hope WE is enjoying this.  :hammer:  :bawl:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »
Wow -- someone woke the Dodgers up 11-4 still bottom of the 8th.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2008, 12:16:27 AM »
Are the Padres even trying? Everytime I refresh the page, the Dodgers have another run. Hope WE is enjoying this.  :hammer:  :bawl:
I suspect he is superstitious.

Offline jendf

« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2008, 12:16:45 AM »
Wow -- someone woke the Dodgers up 11-4 still bottom of the 8th.

12-4.

Seriously. They are averaging a run every 30 seconds (the frequency in which my Yahoo page refreshes).