Author Topic: I know that most DUers do not need to read this:  (Read 385 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I know that most DUers do not need to read this:
« on: July 02, 2021, 03:42:49 PM »
Thtwudbeme (6,679 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215580799

But, some do- and that is why I am posting this. For the record, I am a middle school librarian and part of what I teach is internet safety to the children. I am aware that all the posters here are not "children," and I am not implying that.

If you are on FB, please do not respond to seemingly "innocuous fun" questions- no matter who posted them, or if your friends are answering. Some of these questions are worded like, "What was the destination of your first plane trip?" Or- do you remember your first childhood pet?" Anything that requires you to answer questions about your past- including your favorite old breakfast cereal, the street you grew up on- do NOT answer.

Those are all password protection questions- every single one of them. You might think, "Oh Jesus, Stephanie, who the eff cares about a concert I saw in 1975?"

Hackers- that's who. Think about it- why would a total stranger care that you saw Jan and Dean in California in 1967?

Social media is getting more dangerous- I am sorry, but it is. I DO have a FB page, and it is so locked down- my students MIGHT be able to find me, but all they will find out is what my favorite dog ever looked like. That's it. They can even check my friends that "liked" it- and they STILL will not be able to tell anything else.

:whatever:

71 replies

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member intheflow (26,230 posts)

32. I'm also a librarian.

I use book titles and the dates I read them mixed in. An example might be 1/5CriticalRaceTheory2004. Obviously not one of my real passwords, but throwing the date and a special character in there will confuse hackers and hacking software.

:thatsright:

Collimator (1,239 posts)

47. My Passwords are often based

on phrases. For awhile there I used Hsddjm, which was "He's dead, Jim" with the vowels removed. It's an oft-used line on the original Star Trek and I always enjoyed a quiet, inner laugh when I typed it it. Using your friends' kids names instead of names of your own children and pets is useful.

Thanks for the tip about not answering questions, though. I worry sometimes because my mother's maiden name is a security question with Social Security and one of the few places where my name appears online is my mother's obituary--which lists her maiden name.

Star Member treestar (78,727 posts)

15. Are there any hackers to confirm this?

I don't know how to hack, but how can these be enough for them to figure out your passwords or password ID questions? We hear this but there is nothing to prove they can really do it. Gather than information, figure out where your bank account is, and get into your account. How could they get the codes sent to your phone number?

Not saying it is impossible, but this could sound logical without having any real basis.

Star Member CoopersDad (1,824 posts)

38. I once discovered that some $80,000 was withdrawn from my Bank of America Savings account.

Pretty much my retirement bundle having little other in the way of pension.

It was done in drips and drabs but damn did it add up quickly.

I don't know if passwords were involved, I don't think so, but I do think a skimmer attached to a Coke machine on a Community College Campus was involved.

It took some effort but the bank restored my account to it's former balance.

The point being, anything is possible and we all have to be vigilent.

:whatever:

llashram (2,972 posts)

68. this

I tried FB once. Never again and I'm not a twit...ter, never. Human beings are getting more opportunistic and MEAN.

:loser:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Online Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: I know that most DUers do not need to read this:
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 03:50:59 PM »
 :rotf:

How many of them are giving away free password information on that very thread?!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 04:13:14 PM »
Thtwudbeme (6,679 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215580799

But, some do- and that is why I am posting this. For the record, I am a middle school librarian and part of what I teach is internet safety to the children.

I am 100% sure your definition of "safe" is:

1) Only allow explicit sex that features homo, trans, or group sex.  No straight sex until 9 years old.
2) Ban all "science" books, texts and sites that say men are different than women
3) Ban all "science" books, texts and sites that make the case the AGW is not actually science and the formation of a zygote.  This of course means:
4) Ban all "science" books, texts and sites that describe the Scientific Method
5) Ban all books, texts and sites that applaud any Republican after Eisenhower
6) Ban the Bible and all Western religious books, texts and sites that are Jewish or Christian.

Nightly book burnings with the kids to show how to stay safe.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 04:16:54 PM »
Star Member CoopersDad (1,824 posts)

38. I once discovered that some $80,000 was withdrawn from my Bank of America Savings account.

Pretty much my retirement bundle having little other in the way of pension.

It was done in drips and drabs but damn did it add up quickly.

The last sentence belies the first.  NO ONE who is not a billionaire would not notice 80K in withdrawals, no matter how long the time. Add to that librarians and primitives do not know how to handle money and we have yet another lie.

The primitive meant to say $80.00 not $80,000.

Lefties lie.  Always. Even when they do not have to.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 10:46:10 PM »
Not a hacker by any stretch, but I read and follow and listen to a variety of information security related stuff from several perspectives.

Top thing: You can lie on your security questions.  As long as it's a lie you'll remember, sites aren't fact checking that your childhood address wasn't 123 Sesame St.
Next thing: With things like two factor authentication (when website or service texts you a code to put in, either cause you forgot a password or are on a device/network they don't recognize), security questions are not as big a focus for folks trying to access your accounts as they were in the past.  Yes, it did work, and could still in some situations, but unless a hacker is gunning for you specifically, there are more effective ways to get into multiple accounts.
Having said all that thing: I'm more concerned that the polls, sites, and accounts asking for such personal data from as many people as possible are doing so for more targeted, personalized advertising and building a better profile on the people who answer.  First car was a 72 Nova?  Show them more muscle car accessory ads.  Mother's maid name is full of consonants? Put "travel to Eastern Europe and find your roots" ads in their feed.

So, no, you really don't need to tell FB your first pet's name, but more to work against the virtual you advertisers want to make of you than to save your bank account.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.