Author Topic: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, "  (Read 486 times)

Offline Mary Ann

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215306289
Mon Apr 5, 2021, 06:22 PM
NotANeocon (237 posts)

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, "

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Despite the 1st there seems to have been a religion surreptitiously formed this year. I've been hearing about "sacred ground" and "sacred ideas" (like democracy) being attacked - particularly since 1/6/21.

Have our journalists run out of words like "beloved, respected, archival, historic, peoples place, etc" just to name a few, when speaking of government buildings.

For a nation without an established religion there seem to be a lot of genuflecting and hands over heart along with other non-secular customs to put the lie to that claim.
Judging by the very few responses, I suspect that this newb won't last long.
Crunchy Frog (23,478 posts)

1. Trashing. nt

Star Member Ocelot II (93,213 posts)

2. "Sacred" doesn't necessarily refer to something with religious meaning.

Other dictionary definitions of the word are "entitled to reverence and respect" and "highly valued and important." https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sacred So that use of the word to apply to secular concepts like democracy is entirely appropriate.

NotANeocon (237 posts)

3. You think so?

I see it as ignorant, lazy, and vocabulary challenged because the religious continually overrides the secular in the country "without established religion".

Star Member Ocelot II (93,213 posts)

4. I didn't write the dictionary. Those are common and accepted usages

and I see no nefarious connection with religion in this respect. There are bigger fish to fry re: religion interfering in secular society.
That's the whole thread, so far.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Not wearing a mask has become the equivalent of wearing a yellow mogen David.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Y'all been worshiping LGBTQXYZWTF and abortion for decades now, enshrining them as your sacred cows than cannot be touched or desecrated in any way shape or form, you should be familiar with the concept.

Judging by the very few responses, I suspect that this newb won't last long.That's the whole thread, so far.

Yup, not goosestepping along properly, daring to question the proggie owned media.  He's got a pizza in the oven, I'm sure. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline SVPete

I really did not understand that word side-salad. Does NotANeocon understand what a metaphor is?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
I really did not understand that word side-salad. Does NotANeocon understand what a metaphor is?

He doesn't like the fact that government is being referred to as sacred when the enemy of the people describe January 6th demonstration as an attack on "sacred institutions of democracy."

I'm kind of on his side on this one. The Left is trying to make a cult out of government and we're the damnable infidels.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline ADsOutburst

The person who started that topic is actually on to something. As I said in another thread, the ideological commitment of the left would make even a religious zealot blush.