Author Topic: something for the primitives (and everybody else) to ponder  (Read 619 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
something for the primitives (and everybody else) to ponder
« on: August 30, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »
I was watching a youtube of CBS News coverage of the election of 1988--you might remember; the one where the elder George Bush was down 17 percent in the polls, but yet eked out a near-landslide victory over Michael Dukakis:

No candidate since 1988 has managed to equal or surpass Bush's share of the electoral or popular vote. Dukakis won 45.6% of the popular vote and carried ten states and Washington, D.C. Bush became the first sitting vice president to be elected president since Martin Van Buren in 1836.

George H. W. Bush (R): 426
Michael Dukakis (D): 111

Anyway, it struck me that perhaps Michael Dukakis has gotten wiser with the passage of years, and perhaps it would've been a good idea for Democrats to nominate him this second time around, rather than Joseph Biden.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Delmar

Re: something for the primitives (and everybody else) to ponder
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 11:55:39 AM »
It would still only be his second time running for the job.  Maybe he's wise enough to not keep embarrassing himself by running and losing over and over and over again like Sleepy/Pervy Joe.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 01:22:51 PM »
How about Gary Hart? Surely he's run out of monkey business by now
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
How about Gary Hart? Surely he's run out of monkey business by now

I didn't think of Gary, but yeah, Gary Hart would've been good too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 03:36:26 AM »
GHWB won because people forgot the policy differences between him and RWR (easily seen in 1980 Primaries statements) and thought of him as RWR's third term.

The fact that MD in a tank looked ridiculous didn't help him any.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 07:57:10 AM »
GHWB won because people forgot the policy differences between him and RWR (easily seen in 1980 Primaries statements) and thought of him as RWR's third term.

The fact that MD in a tank looked ridiculous didn't help him any.

I thought way too much was made of the tank pic, it wasn't nearly as stupid as Kerry in a bunny suit.  Dukakis did himself no favor with it though, especially sitting in the bitch seat instead of the TC hatch.  They worker in charge of the tank for that ride must have had no use for him, he could just as easily have put Dukakis in the TC seat instead of having him look like a Whack-a-mole target in the lower loader's hatch.  The guy in the turret is just riding too.  And so that was the image that resulted, Dukakis passively poking his head out of a hole while some big dude up above him was running the show.

I do wish Bush had been a better President of the US instead of the globalist BS, he turned out to be no friend of the Second Amendment and to have a rather poor grasp of how a government shut-down would play out.  Best I can say about him is that Dukakis would have been worse.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.