Author Topic: Last-minute complaints threaten $2T Senate coronavirus emergency aid  (Read 374 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213173177

Ok, so WE complained when the D's blocked the bailout bill over stuff like helping the museums, instant voter registration, tax cuts for wind/solar power, airline emission testing ... you know, the stuff that was super important to helping the people who are put off by this pandemic.

What are the DUmmies concerns with the R's stopping this latest one?  Let's see!

RandySF (29,184 posts)

Last-minute complaints threaten $2T Senate coronavirus emergency aid

A round of eleventh-hour objections is throwing a curveball into the Senate's consideration of a mammoth stimulus package.

Senate leadership announced the deal on the $2 trillion bill shortly after 1 a.m., and want to pass it Wednesday as they face intense pressure to take steps to reassure an American public and an economy rattled by the coronavirus.

But a brewing fight over a deal on unemployment provisions is threatening to open the door to a push for broader changes to the bill, which was negotiated by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, warned that unless a group of GOP senators back down from their demand for changes to the unemployment insurance benefits, he would slow walk the bill until stronger guardrails were put on hundreds of billions in funding for corporations.

"In my view, it would be an outrage to prevent working-class Americans to receive the emergency unemployment assistance included in this legislation," Sanders said in a statement.

"Unless these Republican senators drop their objection, I am prepared to put a hold on this bill until stronger conditions are imposed on the $500 billion corporate welfare fund to make sure that any corporation receiving financial assistance under this legislation does not lay off workers, cut wages or benefits, ship jobs overseas or pay workers poverty wages," Sanders continued.

Putting a "hold" on a bill would force McConnell to go through days of procedural loopholes that could delay the bill into the weekend or even early next week.

Sanders's decision comes after Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Rick Scott (R-Fla.), Tim Scott (R-S.C.) and Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) raised concerns that the deal on unemployment benefits would "incentivize" individuals not to return to working.

The unemployment provision includes four months of bolstered unemployment benefits, including increasing the maximum unemployment benefit by $600.

But the GOP senators say that the agreement, which they are calling a "drafting error," could prompt individuals who would make less working to leave their jobs, or not actively return to working.

"Unless this bill is fixed, there is a strong incentive for employees to be laid off instead of going to work. ... We must sadly oppose the fast-tracking of this bill until this text is addressed, or the Department of Labor issues regulatory guidance that no American would earn more by not working than by working," Graham, Sasse and Scott, of South Carolina, said in a joint statement.

getagrip_already (4,838 posts)

2. The loud senators are the irrelevant ones with no power to do anything.....

Schumer and his staff are running this. Nothing will move if he says stop. It doesn't matter what some remote part timer yells at a microphone.

Buns_of_Fire (12,917 posts)

3. Perhaps it's time for the rest of the Senate to invite

Senators Graham, Sasse, Scott (1), and Scott (2) into the privacy of the cloakroom to encourage an attitude adjustment.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/489525-last-minute-complaints-threaten-2t-senate-coronavirus-emergency-aid

redstatebluegirl (8,736 posts)

4. Bernie shaking his fingers and waving his arms thinking this will save his Presidential run.

customerserviceguy (23,582 posts)

5. Pass the bill now, as is

and do a technical correction bill next week, that's the easy solution. They can make the correction retroactive if necessary.

Uh huh.  Next week you'd be talking about how Schumer played the R's.

Now for the thread killer!  LOL

MichMan (3,260 posts)

7. So if my wages at $15 per hour gives me $320 per week in unemployment, I would be now getting $920 ?

That would be 50% more than I make working.

Please , please lay me off now and take your time calling me back. I think I might be sick cough, cough

:lmao:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

Re: Last-minute complaints threaten $2T Senate coronavirus emergency aid
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
"Unless these Republican senators drop their objection, I am prepared to put a hold on this bill until stronger conditions are imposed on the $500 billion corporate welfare fund to make sure that any corporation receiving financial assistance under this legislation does not lay off workers, cut wages or benefits, ship jobs overseas or pay workers poverty wages," Sanders continued.

Sounds like Bernie is holding the country hostage for a #QuidProQuo. They impeached President Trump for thinking he withheld aid.