Author Topic: Rural areas are not self isolating  (Read 868 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Rural areas are not self isolating
« on: March 19, 2020, 06:23:25 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213129893

evertonfc (1,668 posts)

Rural areas are not self isolating

I work 45 min from Nashville. We are working from home. I had to drive into office downtown to grab some files. The city is pretty dead. The suburbs and rural areas are not. Nothing is closed really.

So you're special, but they're not?

Amishman (2,231 posts)

1. In my part of PA rural areas seem open but much reduced, suburbs are not doing jack

I had to go buy groceries for an elderly relative, and the suburbs were the worst. kids out playing in big groups, moms standing around chatting on the sidewalk in groups. Its not even that nice of a day

You're special too?

Jamastiene (36,250 posts)

2. That is how it has been here where I live about 100 miles south of Raleigh, NC.

Traffic is just as much as usual, even with kids out of school. They are still doing everything as usual other than school being out. The one time I had to go out was to take the trash to the dump. People were NOT Following that distance rule there. I had to make extra effort to try to move away from people who got too damn close to me. I love the distance rule. I wish that was in play all the time. I hate it when people get close to me anyhow. I haven't been out since the other day, but I have heard the traffic outside my house. It is the same as usual, if not more than usual.

AirmensMom (12,691 posts)

3. But they're doing their best

to empty the store shelves. So it's a hoax, but a great reason to hoard, I guess. The good part, though, is that the hoarders seem to be distrustful of organic products, so we've been able to at least buy some things.

And, yeah, except that my dentist's office closed yesterday, everything is hopping as usual here in rural TN.

You went out, too?!

jcgoldie (5,143 posts)

4. I had to go buy grain for goats and some materials...

Hardware store, farm store, aldis all loaded to the gills with people like its black friday sales here in southern Illinois.

I'm starting to see a pattern ...

Midnight Writer (5,067 posts)

7. My little rural town has gone very quiet.

Went to the Post Office around 7PM to check my mail box. Saw very few cars, a few people out powerwalking in the streets.

ismnotwasm (38,550 posts)

8. I was just on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state

The Native reservations are closed except to locals. Schools are closed in Clallam Bay and the Thriftway in Forks, WA is out of toilet paper.

Andy823 (10,504 posts)

9. I live in a rural area in Washington State

Yesterday the credit union I belong to started doing transaction at the drive up window only. The main lobby will be closed. Some of the smaller towns without a drive up window have to use the night drop box.

The I went to the town grocery store Monday and they were low on bottled water, only a few bags of beans on the shelves, very little brea, and no toilet paper. I went early to avoid any crowds so the bread trucks hadn't showed up yet.

So far no case in my county.

There you have it folks, other people aren't taking this seriously.  Only these people are.

:lmao:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

Re: Rural areas are not self isolating
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:47:35 PM »
I'm still going to work every day. I spent most of today with a co-worker only 3-4 feet away. Our shop is trying to keep people 6 feet apart, but some of our work simply requires a two person team.

Yes, our work is critical and has to be done.  :panic:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 07:01:21 PM »
I'm still going to work every day. I spent most of today with a co-worker only 3-4 feet away. Our shop is trying to keep people 6 feet apart, but some of our work simply requires a two person team.

Yes, our work is critical and has to be done.  :panic:

I’m working from home until further notice, but I still need to go to the job sites to check on my crews. I’ll probably be doing that once a week. I don’t mind working from home though. I can do 70% of my job from anywhere I can get an Internet connection.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 07:28:38 PM »

I’m working from home until further notice, but I still need to go to the job sites to check on my crews. I’ll probably be doing that once a week. I don’t mind working from home though. I can do 70% of my job from anywhere I can get an Internet connection.

KC

I repair electric motors, and that can't be done at home. Right now we have a couple waste water pumps from the city in for repair.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 06:39:06 AM »
I get out there daily. People have lost their minds, two store cashiers openly hit on me today, so crazy
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
I don't know the terms of TN's shut-down, but Santa Clara County's terms allow stores like Safeway, Target, and Home Depot (i.e. the type of goods they sell, not the specific corporation) to remain open. Stores like Kohl's (e.g. clothing and bedding and etc.) are not. Restaurants are permitted to remain open, but take-out and/or drive-through only. Banks are permitted to remain open, as are hospitals and doctor's offices. Businesses are permitted to have people who are essential to operations work on-site (for a computer company, that would include some degree of tech support people).

I could go on further. Business/industrial areas - business parks, centers of cities - will be 70%-95% shut down. Residential areas - suburban and rural - are going to be busier, with people doing necessary (and unnecessary) business. I've gone out of the house at least once or twice a day, for valid reasons. For my company, what I do has been deemed by the company "essential". So I go in to do things there I cannot do at home, and take home things I can do at home. There are things I currently should not do, e.g. go to the gym, go to the sports equipment store for various equipment my daughter and I need, head over to the park for a several-miles' walk.

ASSuming TN's shut-down has similar terms, DU-member evertonfc does not realize that most people go out and about during normal times mostly for things they need to do. So currently they are (mostly) doing things that are valid under the terms of TN's shut-down - just as DU-member evertonfc claims to have done - but in his/her self-righteousness and disdain for people (s)he vaguely dislikes, DU-member evertonfc thinks they should be shut in while (s)he is not.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 10:05:01 AM »
My take on it as well. That’s why I’m terrified of these types of people being in power. They’re so self righteous and self important. The ‘little’ people need to obey!

KC

*Stolen

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
I'M BETTING THE SELF ISOLATING DEMO-COMMIES OF THE CITIES HAVE A FAR WORSE INFECTION RATE THAN THOSE STUPID RUBES IN RURAL AREAS.  WHICH WILL CULL THE LEFT.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.