Author Topic: Angry Democrats Distracted DNC Attendees in Denver  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Angry Democrats Distracted DNC Attendees in Denver
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:52:32 AM »

'I'm Thoroughly Disgusted With the Democratic Party'

if the MSM wants a controversy, this is probably it.  I can't help but wonder what percentage of the hillaryites
are disgruntled bitter-enders.

Angry Democrats Distracted DNC Attendees in Denver

As he watched the first night of his Democratic National Convention from the cozy living room of local supporters Jim and Alicia Girardeau, Sen. Barack Obama undoubtedly wanted his wife, Michelle Obama, the headline speaker Monday, to be the news-making highlight of the day. But vocal protestors, the media and a few complicated egos directed the public's attention earlier in the day to his primary rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y.

As frustrated Democrats converged on Denver yesterday, some began chanting "caucus fraud," while others shouted the word "sweetie," a reference to the time Obama called a female reporter by the same name. One Clinton supporter who spoke to ABC News said Obama couldn't be trusted. Another said, "He's shifty and untrustworthy." It was assuredly not the kind of message Obama and his diligently image-conscious team were counting on at the Democratic National Convention.

These voters are a tad extreme, but they represent a serious concern to the Obama camp -- an animus toward Obama among voters he needs to win over.

A new Gallup poll indicates that less than half of Clinton's supporters say they definitely will vote for Obama -- 47 percent say they're solidly behind him, 23 percent say they back him but may change their minds, and 30 percent say they will not vote or they will vote for someone else, including Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

Meanwhile, the McCain campaign is sowing disunity in Denver with TV ads hammering Obama for not picking Clinton as his running mate. One ad features a former Democratic delegate for Clinton.

Clinton bashed those ads Monday.

More

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Angry Democrats Distracted DNC Attendees in Denver
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:54:05 AM »
By the way, the polls indicate that four million disgruntled supporters of the worthier Democrat candidate say they'll vote for McCain.

Well, the elections are a while away yet, and I'm sure that number's going to diminish because of loyalty, although wavering, to the Democrat party as it presently is.

But if McCain actually picks up two million, or even one million, of those votes in November, well.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »
I don't think it is going to diminish. as the thuggishness grows stronger so will the abdication of Democrat voters! This is unlike anything I have ever seen in America. or am I wrong?

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »
Police already arrested over 100 protesters and they used tear gas....and that was only on day 1 :lmao:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »
By the way, the polls indicate that four million disgruntled supporters of the worthier Democrat candidate say they'll vote for McCain.

Well, the elections are a while away yet, and I'm sure that number's going to diminish because of loyalty, although wavering, to the Democrat party as it presently is.

But if McCain actually picks up two million, or even one million, of those votes in November, well.....

you would think that once hillary herself delivers an enthusiastic and ringing endorsement of The BarackStar!, all (or at least most) of the hillaryites wold fall in line.  that is, unless hillary is merely symbolic to the feminists that are presumably her strongest supporters.  if that's the case, then they will never fall into line;  the urge to elect hillary will morph into an obsession to defeat her vanquisher at any cost.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »
WE, I'm sure that is their intent.  They want to defeat Barrack so she can run again in 2012. It's not a dumb plan if they get enough support for it....
The only winner in that strategy is McCain :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:13:21 PM »
WE, I'm sure that is their intent.  They want to defeat Barrack so she can run again in 2012. It's not a dumb plan if they get enough support for it....

right.  but I was exploring a slightly different point . . . if she is a symbol, and she herself isn't inspiring all of this spontaneous loyalty, then (a) almost any chick will do, and (b) putting a chick in the veep slot on the GOP ticket would probably make all the difference in the world.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »

right.  but I was exploring a slightly different point . . . if she is a symbol, and she herself isn't inspiring all of this spontaneous loyalty, then (a) almost any chick will do, and (b) putting a chick in the veep slot on the GOP ticket would probably make all the difference in the world.
Sarah Palin for VP?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »

Sarah Palin for VP?

The only problem with the governor of Alaska, bijou, is that she comes from a very small (population) state, and a state that's securely red anyway.

But that might not be a real problem, if other factors are considered.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »

Sarah Palin for VP?

she's got a mini-scandal brewing over the dismissal of a state trooper that was apparently her former brother in law . . . .

Palin says staffer pressed trooper firing

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
Tonight's speakers: Wrangel, Conyers, Kucinich. It's Moonbat Night!!

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks Frank and WE, back to the drawing board. I would love it to be Condi just to see Dem heads a splode but that's not going to happen.  I'm not too up on other possibilities for a female Republican VP, I saw there was some talk of Ann Venenman (sp?) for the Dems but that came and went fairly quickly. 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »
Tonight's speakers: Wrangel, Conyers, Kucinich. It's Moonbat Night!!

I looked at the convention schedule, and I don't think rangel is actually speaking.  they had this utterly bizarre thing last night where people would just walk out on stage and be introduced.  they would wave and the crowd would applaud.  that happened with jimmuh carter last night, and perhaps that is what rangel will get . . . I think he is being punished for backing hillary.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »
Thanks Frank and WE, back to the drawing board. I would love it to be Condi just to see Dem heads a splode but that's not going to happen.  I'm not too up on other possibilities for a female Republican VP, I saw there was some talk of Ann Venenman (sp?) for the Dems but that came and went fairly quickly. 

I wouldn't put it past mccain to nominate her anyway.  it wouldn't surprise me at all.  but then again, he always seemed a little erratic to me. :-)

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »

Well, there are other factors to consider.

Some thought it was a major strategic blunder on the part of the Impeached One, from Arkansas, to name Alphonse Capote Gore, from Tennessee, both southern states, as his vice-president in 1992, but it worked out.

Geographic balance worked out well for Democrats in 1960 (Kennedy from Massachusetts, Johnson from Texas), but not for Republicans the same year (Nixon from California, Lodge from Massachusetts).  And there are other examples, but essentially, most of the time, candidates have striven for geographic balance.

And there is ideological balance, for example, "right-wing" Reagan and moderate Bush in 1980; generally, most of the time, candidates have striven for ideological balance. 

And then there are times a candidate feels so confident of winning that he'll just go ahead and name his running mate regardless of geography and ideology.  Barry "Goldwater" Obama appears to be deluded enough this way, that the named another extreme left-wing liberal Democrat senator, and one from a very small state that usually votes blue anyway.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 01:57:09 PM »

Well, there are other factors to consider.

Some thought it was a major strategic blunder on the part of the Impeached One, from Arkansas, to name Alphonse Capote Gore, from Tennessee, both southern states, as his vice-president in 1992, but it worked out.

Geographic balance worked out well for Democrats in 1960 (Kennedy from Massachusetts, Johnson from Texas), but not for Republicans the same year (Nixon from California, Lodge from Massachusetts).  And there are other examples, but essentially, most of the time, candidates have striven for geographic balance.

And there is ideological balance, for example, "right-wing" Reagan and moderate Bush in 1980; generally, most of the time, candidates have striven for ideological balance. 

And then there are times a candidate feels so confident of winning that he'll just go ahead and name his running mate regardless of geography and ideology.  Barry "Goldwater" Obama appears to be deluded enough this way, that the named another extreme left-wing liberal Democrat senator, and one from a very small state that usually votes blue anyway.

yeah, but clinton-gore won despite their lack of geographical diversity on the ticket, not because of it.  they won because ross perot got 20% of the vote . . .