Author Topic: 'We're technically homeless': the eviction epidemic plaguing the US  (Read 508 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212977219

BeckyDem (3,253 posts)

'We're technically homeless': the eviction epidemic plaguing the US

Tue 11 Feb 2020 04.00 EST
Last modified on Tue 11 Feb 2020 04.02 EST

Millions of Americans face eviction while rent prices around the country continue to rise, turning everything ‘upside down’ for many

Tammie Lyle, a single mother in Richmond, Virginia, was evicted from her home in July 2019 after the rental office of her apartment complex discovered her older daughter was staying with her.

“I ended up with the whole family – myself, four children, three grandkids, we had to go. We lived in a hotel for a little while, and then all split up,” Lyle said. “We all live in different houses now. We had to switch the kids’ schools and we missed a lot of time from work because we’re not together and we don’t have childcare.”

She works two jobs, one at Amazon and another at a 7-Eleven store, and sometimes she has a third if she can find the extra work.

Lyle’s story is just one of many when it comes to a modern American phenomenon: a plague of evictions that devastates the lives of already vulnerable families. In the US, an estimated 2.3 million Americans were evicted from their home in 2016, the latest year of available data, as rent prices around the US continue to rise while affordable housing units disappear and the legal system is weighted towards wealthy landlords, not tenants.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/11/us-eviction-rates-causes-richmond-atlanta?CMP=share_btn_tw

There are some truths in this thread that many don't want to acknowledge.

wryter2000 (38,218 posts)

39. OMG

I hardly recognize downtown Oakland any longer.

I googled "apartments in Oakland," and all that showed up was these luxury places. A studio goes for $2,700/month.

Pacifist Patriot (22,281 posts)

5. I'm not sure what pisses me off more.

The eviction or that someone can't work at Amazon or 7-Eleven and earn enough to live. Damn, can't even work at both and make ends meet.

wysimdnwyg (2,142 posts)

7. As rent continues to go up, expect more of this

If a family is paying $1,000/mo for an apartment that can be rented for $1,200/mo, many landlords/owners will be quick to pull the eviction trigger. All of a sudden they're making an extra $200/mo. It will take them no time at all to make back any money they lose during the transition (and it may even be profitable during that time if they don't pay back the deposit for whatever trumped up reason they find).

beachbumbob (2,746 posts)

8. evictions do not just happen in a vacuum , I had to evict a longterm tennant after

he wrote me 3 straight months worth of bad checks. So what am I suppose to do? I am not a charity, I still have to make the payments as well as pay the property taxes.

I gave him almost 6 months to set things right, which he did not and had to evict him, his wife and 3 kids. I lost not only the 3 months of rent, but another $2500 on what was damaged and outright stolen from the house. I tire of these "poor victim" posts.

Evictions don't just happen.

Not a single reply to that post.  Not one.

Scarsdale (7,878 posts)

10. Yes, but

"This is the greatest country in the world" say the richest among us. What is so great about it? I think it is time to audit EVERY government agency, root out the corruption and waste. The Pentagon budget is bloated, but the extra cash certainly does not go to help the lower ranks. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Time to STOP these retirement benefits to former so-called "representatives" These people do little but line their pockets while in office, then retire as millionaires, still ripping off taxpayers for a pension (which increases every year along with the present reps. raise) plus medical benefits. How many civilian jobs still give pensions? The ones that do, do not include medical benefits. "We the people" had better start making our voices heard, before it is too late. The impeachment farce should have made it clear to everyone that we are nothing but contributors to the powers that be, with taxes. The gop backs a president who is unqualified, ignorant, crude, rude and pompous. A FAKE.

Wow!  That could earn a ban if anyone catches that the article is talking about 2016 ...

ansible (832 posts)

20. In California, it's also caused by a chronic shortage of apartments

It's getting worse with each passing year because certain assholes in power keep preventing new housing developments being made. They intentionally want the price of rent to get higher and demand to outstrip supply.

Johnny2X2X (6,403 posts)

22. I'm aware of that

California is in a crisis because of 2 reasons that they won't build. One is that they've taken environmentalism just a bit too far and refuse to build on any piece of land that has a nice view, basically 99% of the land. And the rich don't want to build because it lowers property values. California needs about a million new modestly priced apartments.

And who has been in charge in CA for like ... forever?  Democrats.  This is what you created.  This is what you always create then blame game starts.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: 'We're technically homeless': the eviction epidemic plaguing the US
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
Quote from:
Tammie Lyle, a single mother in Richmond, Virginia, was evicted from her home in July 2019...

Shouldn't she be complaining to VA Gov Ralph Northam (D) provided she can recognize him when he's not wearing black-face?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 04:11:23 PM »
Tammie Lyle, a single mother in Richmond, Virginia, was evicted from her home in July 2019 after the rental office of her apartment complex discovered her older daughter was staying with her.

Translation: Lyle violated the terms of her lease, the manglement discovered it, and raised the rent to what it would have been had the correct number of occupants been known when the lease was created.

wryter2000 (38,218 posts)

39. OMG

I hardly recognize downtown Oakland any longer.

I googled "apartments in Oakland," and all that showed up was these luxury places. A studio goes for $2,700/month.

That is not a "luxury place". That is what happens when decades of government regulations strangle the building of new housing while demand keeps growing. If wryter2000 really knew anything of the SF Bay Area as it currently is, (s)he would know this.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
THE DEMOCRATS HAVE A PLAN FOR THIS.

YOU WON'T LIKE IT.

MAKE RENTALS AND PROPERTY EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE WITH LAWS AND REGULATION.

THE FUTURE COMRADES IS GOING TO BE GLORIOUS. GLORIOUS COMRADES!!!!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »
My wife and I own several rental properties and about the only thing I can agree with one of the DUmmies (beachbumbob) is that he's correct.  Evictions never happen in a vacuum.  We do everything in our power to keep from having to evict someone, but the more you help MOST of the people you have to help, the more they end up trying to screw you.  They actually get so far behind sometimes they will come into the office telling you they've paid you for a month that you're trying to collect for and you have to spend time showing them your books (then explaining what you're showing them) until it finally clicks.

Some of them get angry because you have the unmitigated gall to ask for your rent so when they leave they like to do things like removing all the light bulbs, leaving bags of trash for you to haul off, leaving in the 'middle of the night' so you don't realize they're gone and had the electricity turned off while leaving all kinds of 'goodies' in the refrigerator that spoil and absolutely ruin the refrigerator.

It not only takes time to go through the eviction process, it costs money.  Money you will never recoup.  Most are not getting rich off of rental properties, just making an honest living and trying to help folks out in the process.  We've donated months of rent to some of our renters who were in need for one reason or another.  I had one renter who had triplets then her 'baby daddy' hit the bricks.  We covered her rent for 4 months and took up a donation when one of the triplets died.  She did us right when she left, but she was the exception, not the rule, unfortunately.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
Until recently, there were CA cities so hostile to landlords that I'd say it would be crazy to be a landlord in those cities. Now the State of CA is making the worst of those cities' ordinances state law. The state of CA is basically anti-landlord, so the chances of a lot more rental housing coming on the market are near zero, IMO.

BTW, Johnny2X2X's claim that rich NIMBYs block the building of new housing has some validity in places like SF, where space to build is highly limited. And some of the NIMBYs are the anti-"gentrification" activists. But in areas like Oakland or Silicon Valley, there is buildable space that is well away from rich NIMBYs, and it is anti-developer regs, fees, and take-aways that discourage building new housing. OTOH, Johnny2X2X is correct that Enviro-regs, laws that enable Enviros to increase the delays and costs of building a development, and "open space preserves" that close large tracts of land do obstruct building housing.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.