Author Topic: Stephen King, author of horror novels criticized for comments on diversity  (Read 566 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Stephen King, author of horror novels criticized for comments on diversity
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/stephen-king-author-of-horror-novels-criticized-for-comments-on-diversity

NEW YORK (AP) — Stephen King says he cares only about “quality," not “diversity” when deciding on awards. Some are asking why he thinks the two must be different.

“I would never consider diversity in matters of art. Only quality,” King tweeted this week. “It seems to me that to do otherwise would be wrong.”

The best-selling author's comments came shortly after the announcement of this year's nominees for the Academy Awards, widely criticized for only choosing male directors and for an almost entirely white group of acting finalists. King wrote that he had been allowed to nominate people for best picture, best screenplay and best original screenplay, and that for him “the diversity issue — as it applies to individual actors and directors, anyway — did not come up.”

I will leave at that.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
He's absolutely right.  But not a woke thing to say, which is sad that the left does.  But I'm all for them tearing each other a new one.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Stephen King, author of horror novels criticized for comments on diversity
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/stephen-king-author-of-horror-novels-criticized-for-comments-on-diversity

I will leave at that.

Interesting.  This is the first thing I think I've ever agreed with SK on, but it's odd, to me at least, he limits it to 'art'.  This is how we should look at everything.  You're either qualified or you're not, and your ethnicity should have no bearing on whether you're given an award for your work or not.  Merit based is how everything should be decided.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen