Author Topic: Detroit mayor offered plea deal in assault case  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Detroit mayor offered plea deal in assault case
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
why does this plea deal bother me?  if he is tried and convicted, I am sure there is some mechanism by which
he is removed from office anyway . . .

DETROIT (AP) — A prosecutor made a surprising offer Friday to Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick: resign by Sept. 3 in exchange for the dismissal of one of two assault charges.

Doug Baker of the Michigan attorney general's office made the disclosure during a routine arraignment for Kilpatrick on the charges in one of two criminal cases against him.

Kilpatrick attorney Juan Mateo told Circuit Court Judge David Groner he had just learned of the deal offer and wasn't prepared to respond. Another defense attorney, James Thomas, said after the hearing: "We're preparing for trial."

A not guilty plea on the assault charges was entered on the mayor's behalf. Kilpatrick didn't speak in court.

The mayor is accused of shoving a sheriff's detective into another investigator while they tried to serve a subpoena on one of his friends July 24.

More

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Detroit mayor offered plea deal in assault case
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
It figures..........  :whatever:

let's not truly punish a criminal who is a public official.   :bs:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »

let's not truly punish a criminal who is a public official.   :bs:

Can't have the next shining star in Black Politics wearing prison orange now can we?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:02:06 PM »

let's not truly punish a criminal who is a DEMOCRAT public official.   :bs:

Fixed......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »
why does this plea deal bother me?  if he is tried and convicted, I am sure there is some mechanism by which

DETROIT (AP) — A prosecutor made a surprising offer Friday to Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick: resign by Sept. 3 in exchange for the dismissal of one of two assault charges.

Doug Baker of the Michigan attorney general's office made the disclosure during a routine arraignment for Kilpatrick on the charges in one of two criminal cases against him.

Kilpatrick attorney Juan Mateo told Circuit Court Judge David Groner he had just learned of the deal offer and wasn't prepared to respond. Another defense attorney, James Thomas, said after the hearing: "We're preparing for trial."

A not guilty plea on the assault charges was entered on the mayor's behalf. Kilpatrick didn't speak in court.

The mayor is accused of shoving a sheriff's detective into another investigator while they tried to serve a subpoena on one of his friends July 24.

More
I have a feeling Jenny doesn't want to kick her homeboy out herself so...lets put it onto the AG to boot him! This may also be an economic decision...the SOB has already cost the City of Detroit close to 10 million dollars with his last bit of shenanigans. Think they just want to do this as quickly and cheaply as possible!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:46:34 PM »

More
I have a feeling Jenny doesn't want to kick her homeboy out herself so...lets put it onto the AG to boot him! This may also be an economic decision...the SOB has already cost the City of Detroit close to 10 million dollars with his last bit of shenanigans. Think they just want to do this as quickly and cheaply as possible!

That's what I would assume.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:02:05 PM »
Kilpatrick rejects deal for resignation
DETROIT -- Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick rejected an offer on Friday to resign in exchange for the dropping of one of the two felony assault charges he faces.

Standing mute during his arraignment on the charges in Wayne County Circuit Court, Kilpatrick shook his head "no" when a special assistant attorney general outlined the deal: If the mayor resigned by Sept. 3 and pleaded guilty to one assault charge, they'd drop the other.

"I think that offer ... has nothing to do with the case itself and more to do with the assistant attorney general in the case," said James C. Thomas, one of the mayor's attorneys. The portion of the deal related to dropping one charge in exchange for a guilty plea was "fine," he said. "But his resignation as mayor was gratuitous. It was something that was not necessary."

(more...)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.