Author Topic: Poll shows McCain in 5-point lead over Obama  (Read 2965 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Poll shows McCain in 5-point lead over Obama
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:04:14 AM »
It's happening!  Can't wait to see the DUmp in an uproar over this!

Poll shows McCain in 5-point lead over Obama

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:01am EDT

Post Your Comments | All Comments Email | Print | Share| Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (6) [-] Text

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

McCain leads Obama among likely U.S. voters by 46 percent to 41 percent, wiping out Obama's solid 7-point advantage in July and taking his first lead in the monthly Reuters/Zogby poll.

The reversal follows a month of attacks by McCain, who has questioned Obama's experience, criticized his opposition to most new offshore oil drilling and mocked his overseas trip.

The poll was taken Thursday through Saturday as Obama wrapped up a weeklong vacation in Hawaii that ceded the political spotlight to McCain, who seized on Russia's invasion of Georgia to emphasize his foreign policy views.

The rest of the article is here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUKN1948672420080820?sp=true
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Poll shows McCain in 5-point lead over Obama
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:26:11 AM »
I wonder how many Reuters newsies they went through to type that story, what with their fingers and eyes bursting into flames as they wrote that.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:33:52 AM »
I was hoping this would happen -- Not for the obvious reason though.

You see -- the Libtards have trained the electorate and now its coming back to bite them in the ass.

"Bush is a no good stuttering former drug addict who takes vacations at the wrong time because he is only concerned about himself and not the country. The stuttering and "Bushisms" are proof of his brain damage."

Replace "Bush" with "Obama" and the rest of the piece can read exactly the same way.

Obama is a terrible 'off the cuff' speaker - unless prompted he sounds like an idiot.
Obama did his Euro tour followed by his Hawaii vacation instead of campaigning.
Obama is an admitted former drug abuser.

Obama is the Liberal version of what the left beat The President over the head with for all these years. Of couse he is losing support.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
Hate to be a downer but after next week's media lovefest in Denver, Barry O will get a huge bump in the polls.  We can only hope that the Hildebeast creates a fuss over in Denver that splits the party open. 

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:10:01 AM »
of course he will - but those convention bumps are always temporary

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
Hate to be a downer but after next week's media lovefest in Denver, Barry O will get a huge bump in the polls.  We can only hope that the Hildebeast creates a fuss over in Denver that splits the party open. 

I don't think so.  The "bump" is going to be very small or nonexistent - and then the meltdown begins in earnest.

Obama is at an image impass.  Everything we are suppose to be allowed to know is already out there.  He can't reveal anything more about himself without it being a negative.  The Obama campaign reached its mediocre zenith and is now on a crash course with a not-so-friendly-after-all nation which does not understand, need, or want condescending "hope" or undefined "change".

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:27:19 AM »

a ZOGBY poll has The BarackStar! down 5 points?  ZOGBY!?!?!

unbelievable.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:34:10 AM »

yeah, maybe.  probably, perhaps.  we have had this argument a number of times in this forum. :-)

but the exact same "conventional wisdom" that says that BHO will get a huge bump in the polls after his convention also said that he should have a significant lead now, and that just isn't happening, regardless of which poll you choose to believe.  so, whatever else is at play here, we can already dismiss "conventional wisdom" as being somewhat unreliable in this election cycle.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:38:23 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:36:55 AM »

I don't think so.  The "bump" is going to be very small or nonexistent - and then the meltdown begins in earnest.

Obama is at an image impass.  Everything we are suppose to be allowed to know is already out there.  He can't reveal anything more about himself without it being a negative.  The Obama campaign reached its mediocre zenith and is now on a crash course with a not-so-friendly-after-all nation which does not understand, need, or want condescending "hope" or undefined "change".

that's the problem with initially being perceived as a semi-godlike creature.  you had better start producing miracle of some sort pretty soon, or there is going to be trouble  . . .  :-)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
The "greater" they are, the harder they fall....

He started out with a bang...but will end up with a fizzle.

Being a Floridian, I can compare it to our hurricanes.  Barrack started out as a Category 5..but Category 5's can not be sustained...they quickly lose momentum and power and turn weak when they touch solid ground.

Ok...I'm out of analogies.. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »

maybe he should reconsider the tactic of saying george bush's name every 10 seconds, which is about all he has in his bad of tricks.  it really doesn't seem to be working.  of course, then he would have to be in favor of something, and he's a little, er, fuzzy on that score.

Offline Taxman

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
The media will make him look like a god next week.  I heard some idiot at lunch tell me that he sees him as JFK II and that he will be a uniter and not a divider as McCain.  When pressed for how he will do this I get the standard DUmmy talking points.  Sad thing this guy is an educated financial advisor.  He, sadly, has taken a HUGE dose of the KoolAid.  BHO, will see his data rise in early Sept.   Whether he can sustain it remains to be seen. 

Offline Tess Anderson

McCain Takes Lead Over Obama
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »
Around five points: link - reuters

WASHINGTON (Aug. 20) - In a sharp turnaround, Republican John McCain has opened a 5-point lead on Democrat Barack Obama in the U.S. presidential race and is seen as a stronger manager of the economy, according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday.

McCain leads Obama among likely U.S. voters by 46 percent to 41 percent, wiping out Obama's solid 7-point advantage in July and taking his first lead in the monthly Reuters/Zogby poll.

The reversal follows a month of attacks by McCain, who has questioned Obama's experience, criticized his opposition to most new offshore oil drilling and mocked his overseas trip.
The poll was taken Thursday through Saturday as Obama wrapped up a weeklong vacation in Hawaii that ceded the political spotlight to McCain, who seized on Russia's invasion of Georgia to emphasize his foreign policy views.

And this poll was taken before last Saturday night.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 04:14:06 PM »
Ooops, I just posted this same article with a title that varied from this one just enough.  :banghead:

No, I don't think the MSM will be able to fix this one, although they could cook up a poll real soon. I'm still reeling over this:

http://www.propeller.com/story/2008/08/20/barack-obama-chooses-kathleen-sebelius-for-vice-president/

Is this true? Barack Hussein Obama picked Maude????

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 04:57:50 PM »

I'm with you. The only reason to watch the DNC convention next week is to see the riots break out on live TV when Barry and Hillzilla go at it after they try and nominate her for President.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 05:09:24 PM »
I was hoping this would happen -- Not for the obvious reason though.
You see -- the Libtards have trained the electorate and now its coming back to bite them in the ass.
"Bush is a no good stuttering former drug addict who takes vacations at the wrong time because he is only concerned about himself and not the country. The stuttering and "Bushisms" are proof of his brain damage."
Replace "Bush" with "Obama" and the rest of the piece can read exactly the same way.
Obama is a terrible 'off the cuff' speaker - unless prompted he sounds like an idiot.
Obama did his Euro tour followed by his Hawaii vacation instead of campaigning.
Obama is an admitted former drug abuser.
Obama is the Liberal version of what the left beat The President over the head with for all these years. Of course he is losing support.
That's a pretty damn good observation miskie, and you summed it up very well. H5!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Jim

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »
The media will make him look like a god next week.  I heard some idiot at lunch tell me that he sees him as JFK II and that he will be a uniter and not a divider as McCain.  When pressed for how he will do this I get the standard DUmmy talking points.  Sad thing this guy is an educated financial advisor.  He, sadly, has taken a HUGE dose of the KoolAid.  BHO, will see his data rise in early Sept.   Whether he can sustain it remains to be seen. 

they made him a god-like reincarnation of JFK in Europe, turned into a DROP in the polls.

he's going down like a paralyzed falcon.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 07:29:01 PM »

Don't be so sure.

It's entirely possible that Obama has as high a percentage as he's ever going to get. He was treated like a god in Germany and has taken a hit in the polls. What else is there about him that will make people flock to his "change" banner?

I really think the mushy middle is going to go to McCain.

What worries me more is a reasonable 3rd party candidate taking the hardcore conservatives away from McCain.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Jim

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 07:31:37 PM »

Don't be so sure.

It's entirely possible that Obama has as high a percentage as he's ever going to get. He was treated like a god in Germany and has taken a hit in the polls. What else is there about him that will make people flock to his "change" banner?

What worries me more is a reasonable 3rd party candidate taking the hardcore conservatives away from McCain.

the MM will go GOP.

aint nobody out there to pull the GOP base away.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »

Don't be so sure.

the MM will go GOP.

aint nobody out there to pull the GOP base away.

I was afraid bob barr could siphon away some crucial votes, but he doesn't seem, at this point, anyway, to be getting anywhere at all.

Offline Sadie

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »
of course he will - but those convention bumps are always temporary

It will be no better than his 'european bump, rock concert bump'. McCain is older and wiser. Barry just keeps digging that hole deeper, soon he will fall in. This convention bump will probably last a week or so and he still has those 18 million women to worry about who have said they will not vote for him.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 04:31:02 PM »

I'm with you. The only reason to watch the DNC convention next week is to see the riots break out on live TV when Barry and Hillzilla go at it after they try and nominate her for President.

I agree that there should be some good drama next week.  If hussein uh-bam-uh doesn't get at least a 10 point bounce aftewards, it all over.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.