Author Topic: My sister died yesterday. We need healthcare for all.  (Read 7460 times)

Offline AzJames73

• Deplorable
My sister died yesterday. We need healthcare for all.
« on: October 08, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »
hamsterjill (9,494 posts)       https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029684490
I have previously posted about my older sister's battle with colon cancer, and the fact that she couldn't get the real treatment she needed because of money.

She was 72 and had Medicare coverage, but for whatever reason (financial, most likely), she did not have a supplemental policy for her 20% copay. The 20% of the prescribed chemo treatment was going to run over $25,000 per month and my family could not afford that. I don't think there are many families who could. She had income just over (seriously like less than $100) that disqualified her for Medicaid.

She lived in a rural area in South Texas with limited medical care availability. Very Trump supportive area. There were issues related to her residency because that limited her access to teaching hospitals in other counties, etc. She was just a statistic to all of the bureaucrats that we spoke with. Just another faceless, dying American.

We were able to scrape together the funds necessary to get her on a less-than desirable, but at least something, oral chemo regiment. That gave her about five months.

She died in the richest country in the world because she couldn't get the right medical care. That makes me furious, and it makes me want to puke my guts out. How can anyone say they are prolife and see something like this happening without compassion and desire for change? Republicans are unfeeling.

We need universal healthcare. No one else should have to die because they are poor and/or limited by county residency. We are the UNITED States of America and we need healthcare available for all regardless of where they live.

As for me, I'll thank you in advance for just allowing me the opportunity to seethe about this publicly. I loved my sister very much and I'll miss her. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't relieved that her suffering is over. I'll be okay after some time has passed.

Please fight for healthcare for all so that no other family has to go through this. Please never give up. It's the right thing to do. I'll be there with you. And please keep recruiting Democratic voters because the world lost a good Democrat yesterday.

Peace.

You already have it. ACA....aka....OBAMACARE !

Offline Delmar

Re: My sister died yesterday. We need healthcare for all.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
Response to hamsterjill (Original post)Sat Oct 7, 2017, 02:41 PM
Star Member sharedvalues (2,633 posts)
15. So sorry for your loss

And the heartless, evil moneygrubbers that run the GOP want people like your sister to die, so that GOP donors like the Koches can increase their wealth by 10%.

If you want, I can post a picture of the Koches or their political director so people can see who to blame for shitty healthcare in America.
But you probably just want to mourn right now.

"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline sneakypete

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 09:22:39 AM »
She died in the richest country in the world because she couldn't get the right medical care.

No,she died because she was 72 years old and had an incurable fatal disease.

Guess what,bubba? EVERYBODY dies. Even your useless scum-sucking Dim sister,who is now TRULY a "good Dim". Providing of course her name is taken off the voting register so she doesn't continue to vote a straight Dim ticket for the next 200 years.
In the entire history of the world,the only nations that had to build walls to keep their own citizens from leaving were those with leftist governments.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
That Trump...we'd all be immortal if it wasn't for him grumble grumble.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »
... She was 72 and had Medicare coverage, but for whatever reason (financial, most likely), she did not have a supplemental policy for her 20% copay.  ...

She gambled for 7 years and lost. She chose not to get the insurance.

... The 20% of the prescribed chemo treatment was going to run over $25,000 per month ...

I think this is false. It looks like the full cost of some high cost chemo regimens is in the $30K per month range. 20% of that, $6,000 per month, is not peanuts, but very far from $25K per month. Whether DU-member hamsterjill misunderstood or lied, I won't guess.

The bottom line is that I am responsible for my healthcare, not the Federal government. And since DU-folk don't understand - and hate - that R-word, they should ask themselves how much the idea of ceding their healthcare decisions and treatments to a US government led by Trump appeals to them.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
72 years old?

Cancer?

That's a death panel contestant right there. 

Offline Undies

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »
72 years old?

Cancer?

That's a death panel contestant right there.

They have no idea about what they wish for healthcare.  Remember back during those horrid Obama years when he was having a conversation with some group somewhere?  That Obama character had a lucid moment of truth and told some woman her elderly mother wouldn't be getting a pacemaker because Mom is too old. 

At 72, colon cancer sister would be given a pill by a government clinic doctor and sent home to die.  That is UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE for all! 

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
They have no idea about what they wish for healthcare.  ...

Just about every government program Libs & Progs support is about how they intend the program to work, not how it actually does work out. They'll learn Sarah Palin was right about the "death panels" when one decides they or a loved one will die rather than be treated.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
You already have it. ACA....aka....OBAMACARE !

Yep, still the law of the land.  No way to blame Trump or Republicans.  Legitimately.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
Yep, still the law of the land.  No way to blame Trump or Republicans.  Legitimately.

Not quite true . . .

John McCain calls himself a Republican . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 03:23:21 PM »
What you want is FREE shit, there is no such thing as free shit. Us responsible working people have to pay for it for you.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
Not quite true . . .

John McCain calls himself a Republican . . .

True.  Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski.  Heck, you can actually blame Cankles for cheating to beat Crazy Uncle Bernie.  Since he was the champion of free healthcare for all.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
hamsterjill (9,494 posts)       https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029684490
I have previously posted about my older sister's battle with colon cancer, and the fact that she couldn't get the real treatment she needed because of money.

She was 72 and had Medicare coverage, but for whatever reason (financial, most likely), she did not have a supplemental policy for her 20% copay. The 20% of the prescribed chemo treatment was going to run over $25,000 per month and my family could not afford that. I don't think there are many families who could. She had income just over (seriously like less than $100) that disqualified her for Medicaid.

I thought you pukes wanted medicare for all?  I have told you and told you idiots that medicare basically sucks. Now you understand where I was coming from.

Personally I am fine with medicare for all.... all dummies. Wait until you idiots realize it ain't the wunnerful freebie that you think it is.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
I think this is false. It looks like the full cost of some high cost chemo regimens is in the $30K per month range. 20% of that, $6,000 per month, is not peanuts, but very far from $25K per month. Whether DU-member hamsterjill misunderstood or lied, I won't guess.

I agree. This idiot is saying 20% of the full cost was $25K a month, meaning the full cost would be $125K a month. No way.

Primitives lie. All the time. They lie.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 07:23:33 AM »
Last time I looked, I found out life has a 100 percent mortality rate...
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:03 AM »
Last time I looked, I found out life has a 100 percent mortality rate...
Unless you are OS.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »
Unless you are OS.

Over the last couple of years, I've offered up numerous reasons why Steve hasn't died yet, ranging from being too fat to fit through St Peter's gate, to getting stuck in the tunnel of white light.

I've managed to overlook one dead simple explanation thus far that is plain as day when you think about the logistical side of Steve:

Ok, which one of you guys wants to find a cart big enough to roll Steve out to the mortuary?

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
Over the last couple of years, I've offered up numerous reasons why Steve hasn't died yet, ranging from being too fat to fit through St Peter's gate, to getting stuck in the tunnel of white light.

I've managed to overlook one dead simple explanation thus far that is plain as day when you think about the logistical side of Steve:

Ok, which one of you guys wants to find a cart big enough to roll Steve out to the mortuary?

Maybe OS is guarding the Holy Grail?
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline sneakypete

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »
Obama does that like a pro.

@YupItsMe

His nickname is "Bathhouse Barry" for a reason.
In the entire history of the world,the only nations that had to build walls to keep their own citizens from leaving were those with leftist governments.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »
Unless you are OS.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or Keith Richards...   :rotf:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 04:54:04 PM »
Unless you are OS.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK that there was damned funny... don't care who ya are!!!

H5 x 2 for making me LOL!!!!
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »
Obama does that like a pro.

Notice how excited his husband Michael looks.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 07:26:58 AM »
WAIT!

Is not the "new" Dimocrat health plan termed "Medicare for All"?
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »

They tried one of these:

but this happened:

Gonna need something bigger, apparently.