Author Topic: Shooting at Ark. Democratic Party Headquarters  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Shooting at Ark. Democratic Party Headquarters
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
Arkansas Democratic Party Chairman in Critical Condition Following Shooting
LITTLE ROCK — The chairman of the Arkansas Democratic Party was hospitalized in critical condition Wednesday after an incident at the party headquarters, a party executive said. A television station reported that three shots were fired and that a man escaped the area in a blue truck.

(more...)

Time to break out the tin foil.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Shooting at Ark. Democratic Party Headquarters
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
Oh, they're already in full victim/Wellstone mode over at the DUmp.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 01:11:16 PM »
And the usual chorus of idiots chime in, right on cue.  "Take away their guns!  Take away their free speech!  Take away their rights!"

bluestateguy (1000+ posts)       Wed Aug-13-08 01:41 PM
Response to Original message
4. These talk radio hosts need to be stopped.  They are pushing fragile people over the edge with their hateful bile. 

wvbygod  (716 posts)      Wed Aug-13-08 01:50 PM
Response to Reply #4
15. Oh please.  You got the facts? Let's share them if so. Could be another jealous ex with a deathwish.  Some radio hosts suck badly but I'll be damn if I will use them as a scapegoat for some sick **** out to harm others. I'd start by blaming the shooter and go from there.

tridim  (1000+ posts)       Wed Aug-13-08 01:59 PM
Response to Reply #15
26. RW hate radio has been telling their listeners to take out Dems for years.  You really don't think that has an effect?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3436954
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
local details . . .

UPDATED: Bill Gwatney Shot at Arkansas Democratic Party HQ

Arkansas Democratic Party Chairman and former state Senator Bill Gwatney of Jacksonville has been shot at the party's headquarters, according to the Associated Press.

KTHV-TV, Channel 11, is reporting that Gwatney was shot multiple times in the upper torso has been taken to a local hospital. The Arkansas Democratic Party said Gwatney is hospitalized in critical after incident, KTHV said.

Officers told the CBS affiliate that police pursued a white male suspect in his 40's, driving a pickup truck, into Grant County. KTHV reported that officers apprehended him in Sheridan, and that he was shot during his capture.

One witness said the man came into the headquarters at 10 minutes before noon and asked for Gwatney before allegedly shooting him three times, KTHV said.

Sarah Lee, a clerk at a flower shop near the party headquarters, told KTHV that Gwatney's secretary ran into the shop and asked someone to call 911. She said a man came into the party and shot Gwatney.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:16:42 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »
The suspect, who fled the scene after the shooting in a pickup truck, led police on a chase into Grant County before being shot, Hastings said. Hastings did not release the suspect's name, what condition he was in or where he was shot, saying the investigation was ongoing.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/13/arkansas.shooting/index.html

Looks like they got the guy.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
And the usual chorus of idiots chime in, right on cue.  "Take away their guns!  Take away their free speech!  Take away their rights!"

bluestateguy (1000+ posts)       Wed Aug-13-08 01:41 PM
4. These talk radio hosts need to be stopped.  They are pushing fragile people over the edge with their hateful bile. 

Response to Reply #4
15. Oh please.  You got the facts? Let's share them if so. Could be another jealous ex with a deathwish.  Some radio hosts suck badly but I'll be damn if I will use them as a scapegoat for some sick **** out to harm others. I'd start by blaming the shooter and go from there.

tridim  (1000+ posts)       Wed Aug-13-08 01:59 PM
Response to Reply #15
26. RW hate radio has been telling their listeners to take out Dems for years.  You really don't think that has an effect?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3436954

I'll bet you my bar tab friday that this was personal.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »
Hmmmm.....maybe Gwatney was sleeping with the guy's wife/sister/girlfriend.

Oh no.....that can't be it....Dems don't get mad over that sort of thing.

:fuelfire:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »

bluestateguy (1000+ posts)       Wed Aug-13-08 01:41 PM

Response to Reply #4

tridim  (1000+ posts)       Wed Aug-13-08 01:59 PM
Response to Reply #15

I'll bet you my bar tab friday that this was personal.

That's what I'm thinkin'.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 01:51:32 PM »
RW hate radio has been telling their listeners to take out Dems for years.

Really?  Who? 

Seems to me it was liberals like Al Franken, Ed Schultz, Randi Rhodes, et al, who have been calling for violence against conservatives and elected Republicans.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »
RW hate radio has been telling their listeners to take out Dems for years.

Really?  Who? 

Seems to me it was liberals like Al Franken, Ed Schultz, Randi Rhodes, et al, who have been calling for violence against conservatives and elected Republicans.

Yep.  Conservative blogs and news sites have been covering those statements for years.  Liberal blogs and sites have to make crap up.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »

perhaps he is just a nut.  another update from local media sources.

Moments before the Democratic headquarters shooting, a man with a gun had threatened workers at the Arkansas State Baptist Convention headquarters seven blocks east. Business manager Dan Jordan says a man with a gun told another manager that he'd just lost his job.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »

perhaps he is just a nut.  another update from local media sources.

Moments before the Democratic headquarters shooting, a man with a gun had threatened workers at the Arkansas State Baptist Convention headquarters seven blocks east. Business manager Dan Jordan says a man with a gun told another manager that he'd just lost his job.

Well, hopefully his job wasn't "Arkansas GOP State Chairman."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 02:50:02 PM »

a local TV station reports that the man with the gun at the baptist convention headquarters was after the shooting at the democratic headquarters . . . someone definitely has it wrong.  and they report that the assailant is dead.

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »
Police just confirmed that Bill Gwatney has just died.

Prayers to the family
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 04:32:46 PM »
That is sad.  Yes, many prayers for his loved ones and for his soul.  I pray for the killer's family too. 

What a senseless event.   

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »

Prayers to the family

Yes, many prayers for the family and loved ones. Terrible occurrence.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 05:48:34 PM »
Sounds like someone had some serious issues. I usually think of a political party headquarter as a safe place.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »
Prayers for all involved.   :(

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »
How senseless! Prayers indeed.

So is this gun man the same one who entered the Baptist Convention office? They don't specify.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »
That was the impression I got from the initial report.  Now, I'm not sure.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 09:39:54 PM »

Prayers to the family
Damn this is terrible. Regardless of the man's political persuasions, this is wrong.
Our feelings here and those of Conservatives in general are substantially more credible and moral than those on the left and the DUmp. Can we say Robert Novak?
Anyhow, while we are superior to the DUmp monkeys in most every way, we can never discount their existance - for comedy relief that is!
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »

Prayers to the family
Damn this is terrible. Regardless of the man's political persuasions, this is wrong.
Our feelings here and those of Conservatives in general are substantially more credible and moral than those on the left and the DUmp. Can we say Robert Novak?
Anyhow, while we are superior to the DUmp monkeys in most every way, we can never discount their existance - for comedy relief that is!

No comedy today -- prayers to the family.  We may disagree on issues, but for someone to be cut down is just wrong.

The fact there are many lefty blogs and fora suggesting this is from the right saddens me even more.  Anyone remember the funural that showed the left for what they are?  Get ready for the same now.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 10:53:43 PM »
Sounds like someone had some serious issues. I usually think of a political party headquarter as a safe place.

Yeah, and Luby's or Churches are supposed to be safe places, too.......  :whatever:

Fact is.......

there are NO "safe" places.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »
a few new details . . . .

Gunman Kills Arkansas Democratic Chair
Gunman barges into Arkansas Democratic Headquarters and kills state party chairman

A man recently fired from a Target store barged into the Arkansas Democratic headquarters Wednesday and fatally shot the state party chairman before speeding off in his pickup. Police later shot and killed the suspect after a 30-mile chase.

Police identified the suspect as 50-year-old Timothy Dale Johnson of Searcy, a town about 50 miles northeast of Little Rock. They said that moments after the shooting, Johnson pointed a handgun at a worker at the nearby Arkansas Baptist headquarters. An official there said he told the worker, "I lost my job."

Chairman Bill Gwatney died four hours after the shooting. The 48-year-old former state senator had been planning to travel to the Democratic National Convention later this month as a superdelegate. He had backed Hillary Rodham Clinton but endorsed Barack Obama after she dropped out of the race.

Clinton and her husband, former President and former Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton, issued a statement saying Gwatney was "not only a strong chairman of Arkansas' Democratic Party, but ... also a cherished friend and confidant."

Conway police said a Target store 30 miles north of Little Rock had fired Johnson earlier Wednesday because he had written graffiti on a store wall. The age and address provided by Conway officers matched those provided by Little Rock police for its suspect.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 12:26:47 AM »

Yeah, and Luby's or Churches are supposed to be safe places, too.......  :whatever:

Fact is.......

there are NO "safe" places.

Oh God, I remember the Luby's Massacre in Killeen in 1991 and I was a kid.  :( George Hennard is one ****ed up bastard and he can rot in Hell for eternity.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du