Author Topic: End of an era, again: Genova closes Oakland ravioli factory  (Read 804 times)

Offline SVPete

End of an era, again: Genova closes Oakland ravioli factory
« on: April 24, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
End of an era, again: Genova closes Oakland ravioli factory
By DAVID DEBOLT
PUBLISHED: April 19, 2017 at 1:06 pm | UPDATED: April 21, 2017 at 6:29 am
A year after closing their Temescal deli, the owners of Genova announced this week they are shutting down their ravioli factory on upper Broadway. The quiet exit ends a 90-year run in Oakland.
Four generations of the family had worked in the factory and in the deli since the businesses opened on Telegraph Avenue in 1926, when Temescal was an Italian enclave. But after vandalism during protests and rising rents, the family decided to close the deli in April 2016.

It appears vandalism also played a role in closing the factory, which was relocated to Broadway across the street from Oakland Technical High School after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake.

Patti DeVincenzi said one bill to fix the factory’s windows cost $15,000.

“We had planned to open a ravioli direct to customer operation from our factory ... but with so much vandalism and graffiti we just couldn’t take it anymore,” she said in an email. “Recently, I was out scraping graffiti from the windows and was threatened from a group of youths from across the street that ‘tomorrow there will be more.’ And worse. And to be sure it was done, (they) actually etched into the windows.”

Well, if you want a snapshot explanation of why businesses leave inner cities, here is an apt one. And if you want a similar snapshot of the consequences of, "Don't sweat the small stuff," policing, here's an example of one kind of consequence. Sadly, all the prog activists are likely to see in this - if they deign to see anything at all - is white-flight.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: End of an era, again: Genova closes Oakland ravioli factory
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:36:31 PM »
Oakland isn't doing anything to appeal to the average law abiding  person.....

A recent string of robberies on BART trains took a frightening turn when dozens of juveniles swarmed an Oakland station over the weekend and commandeered a train car, forcing passengers to hand over bags and cell phones and leaving at least two with head injuries, witnesses told the transit agency.

The incident — the first of its kind in recent memory — occurred around 9:30 p.m. Saturday at Coliseum Station.

RELATED

BART riders pass through the gates at the Rockridge BART station on Monday, October 28, 2013. BART riders who run out of fare on their tickets or Clipper cards have to add fare to leave their arrival station. But many complain that the machines only take cash and not credit cards like the ticket machines out side the gates, forcing passengers to ask for help from station agents or fellow passengers. BART says fare cheats cost system up to $25 million a year Riders and the Warm Springs BART station on first day of service, Saturday, March 25, 2017 in Fremont, CA. BART takes steps to end power surges Head of operations Edmund Solis walks among the fleet of a Gig car share vehicles at a AAA storage yard in Oakland, Calif. on Thursday, April 13, 2017. The fleet of 250 Priuses, each with two bike racks mounted to the roof, takes to the streets of Berkeley and Oakland on April 30, when the automobile club's car sharing service launches. AAA to offer one-way hourly car rentals in East Bay
According to a police officials, witnesses said 40 to 60 juveniles flooded the station, jumped the fare gates and rushed to the second-story train platform. Some of the robbers apparently held open the doors of a Dublin-bound train car while others streamed inside, confronting and robbing and in some cases beating riders.

The juveniles “committed multiple strong-arm robberies of bags and cell phones,” said a police summary prepared after the incident. “At least two victims suffered head/facial injuries requiring medical attention.”

Alicia Trost, a BART spokeswoman, said Monday that seven robberies had occurred — with victims losing a purse, a duffel bag and five phones. Six people were robbed inside the train car, with a seventh confronted on the platform, she said.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/BART-takeover-robbery-50-to-60-teens-swarm-11094745.phphttp://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/BART-takeover-robbery-50-to-60-teens-swarm-11094745.php
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:55:15 AM »
It looks like the Zombie Apocalypse has started in Commiefornia. Or is that just business as usual?

I have no doubt there are pockets of sanity in the Golden State, but the rest of it seems like an enormous sucking chest wound.   :censored:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 07:41:51 AM »
Oakland isn't doing anything to appeal to the average law abiding  person.....
 http://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/BART-takeover-robbery-50-to-60-teens-swarm-11094745.phphttp://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/BART-takeover-robbery-50-to-60-teens-swarm-11094745.php

There are running races all ove the SF Bay Area - street, road, and trail. There are two cities I avoid, SF and Oakland, and not because of their lunatic politics. An SF race would mean leaving SJ between 4AM and 5AM, driving an hour, going through SF's streets in the semi-dark, finding public parking, and hoping it's a lot that will take one's race bib as "validation" - charging $10-$15 instead of $35-$40. With Oakland, it's much simpler. Much of Oakland is Thug City, I'm melanin-deficient, and as those thugs showed, a couple dozen thugs can easily overwhelm any police officer (or two) doing security at some point along the course. There are plenty of races that can match or come close to the beauty that can be seen from a Golden Gate Bridge crossing, and the Oakland course I've seen on maps offer nothing special (my least favorite trail races' courses offer much nicer views).

In simpler terms, Oakland is one of three areas I avoid as unsafe for melanin-deficient people like me (and probably not that safe for the melanin-endowed, either): the Hunters Point area of SF, Oakland, and East Palo Alto. The latter may have improved in the past couple of decades.

It looks like the Zombie Apocalypse has started in Commiefornia. Or is that just business as usual?

I have no doubt there are pockets of sanity in the Golden State, but the rest of it seems like an enormous sucking chest wound.   :censored:

In terms of geographic area, CA is more like islands of high population insanity surrounded by a sea of relative sanity. Parts of LA and some surrounding cities, SF, Berserkeley, Oakland, and parts of Sacramento are pretty whacked out. But in terms of square mileage, they're a small part of CA; unfortunately, in terms of voting (accentuated by gerrymandering) they are a like a sewer-pond sea exploiting and oppressing the sane people.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.