Author Topic: One Dead After Tractor-Trailer Plunges Into Chesapeake Bay  (Read 1920 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
One Dead After Tractor-Trailer Plunges Into Chesapeake Bay
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »
ANNAPOLIS, Md. —  A tractor-trailer crashed Sunday on the eastbound Bay Bridge and plunged into the water, killing the driver, authorities said.

Two other people were seriously injured in the three-vehicle accident, Maryland Transportation Authority spokesman Jonathan Green said. He did not immediately release the identities of those involved in the crash.

The tractor-trailer fell about 30 to 40 feet off the bridge into shallow water about 4 a.m. Sunday, Green said. The 18-wheeler was upright and its top was visible in about 10 feet of water in the Chesapeake Bay.

Green did not know what caused the crash. Authorities shut down the span to investigate and were routing vehicles to a parallel bridge.

"Traffic has potential for backups," said Green, who advised travelers to adjust their schedules or plan alternate routes.

Maryland Transportation Authority Web cameras showed traffic had slowed to a crawl in both directions on the parallel span.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,401070,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: One Dead After Tractor-Trailer Plunges Into Chesapeake Bay
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:46:14 AM »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »
"Traffic has potential for backups," said Green

Ya think?  :banghead:  This is their hired spokesman?

Maryland Transportation Authority Web cameras showed traffic had slowed to a crawl in both directions on the parallel span.

That is a strange accident, the truck completely leaving the bridge.   

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »
Now THAT is my phobia Undies. A watery death and/or bridge accident is my worst nightmare.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
Now THAT is my phobia Undies. A watery death and/or bridge accident is my worst nightmare.

That has been one of my lifelong phobias.  I don't like bridges.  Heights don't bother me.   

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
I was fit to be tied when we visited my aunt in Florida for summer vacation. Too many darn bridges there!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »
The bridge over Pamlico Sound on (I think) Hwy 64 scared the crap out of me.  Its up, up, up for about a mile and a half, and they put a blind curve at the top of the bridge.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:38:16 PM »
The bridge over Pamlico Sound on (I think) Hwy 64 scared the crap out of me.  Its up, up, up for about a mile and a half, and they put a blind curve at the top of the bridge.

That was the Alligator River or Croatan Sound. Pamlico Sound is about 27 miles wide and currently there are no bridges over her.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:07:06 AM »

Red October and I took the kiddies to SandyPoint State Park this past Sunday and got stuck in all that "potential for backups" for almost 2 hours. (shoulda watched the news that morning  :thatsright:). We didn't know what was going on until we were hip deep in snarled traffic.

I'm always nervous going over the Bay Bridge, and have said to myself on a number of occassions that those little jersey walls will NOT keep a car going normal speed from going off the bridge. That is my worst fear ever. I can't even imagine the sheer terror that that truck driver felt when he realized he was headed for water.

I heard on the news this morning that they believe that the driver of one of the cars involved in the accident fell asleep at the wheel and veered in front of the truck causing it to jackknife (at 50 mph) and break through the jersey wall.
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline Jim

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 09:12:54 AM »
"Traffic has potential for backups," said Green

Ya think?  :banghead:  This is their hired spokesman?

That is a strange accident, the truck completely leaving the bridge.   

Had another one back when I was working for a grocery distributor, one of ours, driver was OK on that one as I recall.  That was some 10-15 years back.  I was surprized it was only 10' of water.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.