Author Topic: Seahawks won't sit for anthem vs. Dolphins, but fan furor continues  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Seahawks won't sit for anthem vs. Dolphins, but fan furor continues
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/fans-threaten-boycott-after-dolphins-discuss-anthe/nsWJ4/

Seattle Seahawks players announced yesterday that they will stand with interlocked arms during the national anthem before today’s 4 p.m. game against the Dolphins, but that has not calmed the outrage among some fans.

While many comments touch on sensitive political and racial issues, some fans are simply fed up with the attention the story is getting. "These pampered, self-absorbed athletes need a reality check," one wrote.

Another fan was perturbed that the NFL is threatening to fine a Titans player for wearing cleats that honor the victims of 9/11. "I'm not threatening a boycott, I'm keeping the TV off all day," he wrote. "My wife is going to love all the free time I'll have on my hands Sundays from now on."

There is a time to protest, but not during a sporting event.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Re: Seahawks won't sit for anthem vs. Dolphins, but fan furor continues
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 01:48:06 PM »
Fury over NFL’s crackdown on player’s 9/11 tribute cleats
http://nypost.com/2016/09/09/police-unions-slam-goodell-promise-to-pay-players-fine-if-he-wears-911-cleats/

Two police union honchos are so outraged the NFL threatened to sack a Titans linebacker for wearing a patriotic pair of cleats honoring those who died on 9/11, they promised to pay his fine if he wears them in Sunday’s game anyway, The Post has learned.

Avery Williamson, a starting linebacker for the Tennessee team, hoped to wear a pair of specially-designed cleats at his team’s home opener Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings on the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but he backed off when a league rep vowed to fine him for violating the league’s uniform code.

The left cleat says 9-11-01, with the 11 in the outline of the Twin Towers, while the right one says Never Forget.

The NFL is fining people for wearing 9/11 tributes, but not people sitting during the National Anthem.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
There is a time to protest, but not during a sporting event.

What is so special about a sporting event?
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 02:36:17 PM »
Fury over NFL’s crackdown on player’s 9/11 tribute cleats
http://nypost.com/2016/09/09/police-unions-slam-goodell-promise-to-pay-players-fine-if-he-wears-911-cleats/

The NFL is fining people for wearing 9/11 tributes, but not people sitting during the National Anthem.  :mental:
hey nfl, you're doing it wrong.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »
What is so special about a sporting event?

Because I'm not paying them for their political views. I'm paying them to play.

In the immortal words of Laura Ingraham; "Shut up and sing!"

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »
Because I'm not paying them for their political views. I'm paying them to play.

In the immortal words of Laura Ingraham; "Shut up and sing!"

KC

Are you paying them to play? How much?

What does that entitle you to, aside from the privilege of watching them play ball? Does it entitle you to demand they follow your social morality, instead of their own?

Why are you more upset over this than the other behavior they exhibit, like domestic violence, drugs, general thugitude, etc.?

A bunch of ghetto-dwellers and middle-classed wiggers are paying for NFL licensed jerseys, caps, etc., and they like that kind of Black rebellion behavior. Who will generate more money for the NFL, them or you?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:00:12 PM by Big Dog »
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »
hey nfl, you're doing it wrong.
As documented here before, the Dallas Cowboys players wanted to wear something in honor of the police.  It was denied.

The NFL is messed up in numerous ways, but that was just awful.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »
Are you paying them to play? How much?

What does that entitle you to, aside from the privilege of watching them play ball? Does it entitle you to demand they follow your social morality, instead of their own?

Why are you more upset over this than the other behavior they exhibit, like domestic violence, drugs, general thugitude, etc.?

A bunch of ghetto-dwellers and middle-classed wiggers are paying for NFL licensed jerseys, caps, etc., and they like that kind of Black rebellion behavior. Who will generate more money for the NFL, them or you?

Yup, I'm paying them to play.  Without me, and a lot of other folks like me, they don't have an audience.  Any kind of audience.  In person or on the tube.  Without that they have no endorsements, as well.

I don't see it any different than me paying to go see ... a motivational speaker.  I don't care which side of the aisle they fall out on, I don't want/need their opinion.  You do that stuff on your own time.  I don't show up to visit with a client and do any kind of protest because I'm looking for their business.

I also don't see it any different than the other thuggery things those guys do.  I find it all abhorrent.  Personally, I look at what these guys do as a job.  If you can't get by with it in the real world, neither should they.  Once they piss off enough people, this bullshit will stop.  All of it.  I stopped watching the Cowboys in the '80's due to the amount of felons they had on their team.  Now the only time I see them is when they're playing the Texans.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen