Author Topic: Polls Schmolls - Disregard Polls for Now. Mineralman  (Read 881 times)

Offline CC27

Polls Schmolls - Disregard Polls for Now. Mineralman
« on: July 13, 2016, 11:22:27 AM »
MineralMan (85,778 posts)

Polls Schmolls - Disregard Polls for Now

Polling is all over the place right now, between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. The polling companies are still trying to work out how to poll for this general election, really. The conventions haven't been held, people are not seriously considering their choices yet, and it's really impossible at this time to know how the campaigns that will start after the conventions will affect voter sentiment.

You can currently find a poll to support whatever conclusion that suits you. Go for it, if that's your thing, but realize that general election polling prior to the conventions is notoriously inaccurate. Once the nominees have been announced for real and once most people begin actually thinking about the election, the polls will settle down into a pattern that can be tracked.

For now, though, general election polling is pretty much just noise. The campaigns have yet to begin. People are still arguing about the primaries. Wait a bit. Then, the trends will begin to become more clear. For now, if you have a favorite candidate, which I assume is Hillary Clinton on this website, you can start making plans for the general election campaign and GOTV efforts. They'll be ramping up soon and there will be many opportunities for activism.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12512252747

Time to put you in a home. Plus he is posting this because he is nervous the polls are swinging Trumps way so far.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:24:44 AM by CC27 »

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
Re: Polls Schmolls - Disregard Polls for Now. Mineralman
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
Time to put you in a home. Plus he is posting this because he is nervous the polls are swinging Trumps way so far.

Exactly.  Despite the heroic efforts of the Democrats with by-lines.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 01:21:16 PM »
Why do they always say "polls are no good" when it's not in the dem favor?  :rotf:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 01:33:03 PM »
Why do they always say "polls are no good" when it's not in the dem favor?  :rotf:

Because They Know Better!!! :whistling: ::) :whatever:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 05:20:42 PM »

That's the important thing.  Poll numbers are largely garbage, for several reasons, but suffice to say they are lousy with sampling error and several varieties of bias, but the key thing is the trend direction from instance to instance with the same methodology.

Bottom line, the trend is not being Hitlery's friend.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 05:55:45 PM »
   :-)

Funny, that.  :shrug: 

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 05:59:29 PM »
That's the important thing.  Poll numbers are largely garbage, for several reasons, but suffice to say they are lousy with sampling error and several varieties of bias, but the key thing is the trend direction from instance to instance with the same methodology.

Bottom line, the trend is not being Hitlery's friend.

The last time I was phone polled, I hung up.  I kept repeating, question after question, "because that's a phu*king lie!"  They habitually include questions that skew you to the Democrats.

They probably pulled my number from their list ....   :-)

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:32:22 PM »
I have to agree with the dummie on this one. Polls this far out from the election are completely worthless for a number of reasons.

Just my two cents.   :shrug:

Now if it would have showed that hillary was ahead the dummie would be crowing about it.  And it would have meant the exact same thing.  Worthless.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »
The last time I was phone polled, I hung up.  I kept repeating, question after question, "because that's a phu*king lie!"  They habitually include questions that skew you to the Democrats.

They probably pulled my number from their list ....   :-)
They like to hang up on you in their unbiased surveys when you say you're republican

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »
Given the dynamics of this election I doubt there will be any poll that is automatically reliable.

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:54:02 AM »
I agree, Carl.  People lie to pollsters, too.  If you can get them to pick up their phone.  So many people just don't answer an unknown number, given how annoying spam calls are, and the fact that they cost you minutes. 

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 07:18:28 AM »
I have to agree with the dummie on this one. Polls this far out from the election are completely worthless for a number of reasons.

Just my two cents.   :shrug:

Now if it would have showed that hillary was ahead the dummie would be crowing about it.  And it would have meant the exact same thing.  Worthless.

Your last sentence - like at least one other post - hits the nail on the head. DU-folk will crow about polls whose results they like, and ignore or denigrate (polls whose results they do not, including the one "poll" that actually matter, an election (If Trump wins, look for fraud claims to become a cottage industry on DU and many other "places").

I ignore opinion polls, even those whose results I like.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 07:52:11 AM »
I agree, Carl.  People lie to pollsters, too.  If you can get them to pick up their phone.  So many people just don't answer an unknown number, given how annoying spam calls are, and the fact that they cost you minutes.

There will be people voting on both sides that never have before so all bets are off.