Author Topic: Mrs Corpio faces death- barely survives attack by Mormons...  (Read 1857 times)

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I love someone with Autism
Re: Mrs Corpio faces death- barely survives attack by Mormons...
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »
Not knowing MrS' understanding of religious people and their views, that seems very possible, now I see your mentions. Mormon missionaries, in the US at least, tend to be following up requests for literature and other expressions of interest. Cold-calling, canvassing a neighborhood door-to-door, is more the style of Jehovah's witnesses. Like Skul, I've not heard of young Mormon women serving as missionaries (the little badges, "Elder Smith" ad "Elder Jones" worn by 18YO and 19YO men are amusing; I'm not sure what kind of badges would work if young Mormon women were missionaries). OTOH, all witnesses of more or less all ages who are able are expected to go door-to-door (or work at tables in malls or airports or other facilities that allow it).
Well, I need to ring in here.
My dear sweet 80 year old mother is a JW, and I used to play basketball with the Mormon Missionaries for a couple of years.
Boys 18 and up can be Missionaries.  They are expected to do so.  Girls, 21 and up can also be Sister Missionaries.  Cold calling is basically the duty of the boys.  Girls will too, but cannot enter a home unless it is to talk to the females of the house.   Boys serve 24 months, and girls serve 18 months.  Retired elderly couples can also serve, but their duties are usually not so much in proselytizing, but administration of duties and care,  of the kids.  Their record keeping is not the best.  Having an autistic adult in my house, I have asked them repeatedly not to come unannounced.  Her insistence on sameness dictates that no surprise attacks occur.  I have sent them away at least a half dozen times, asking that they not do it again.
But, the JWs, have "territories" which are little maps of your neighborhood, with a place for notes at the bottom.  If you ask them not to return, it will be years before they try again.
Just my Twin Pennies...
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »
I've had JWs show up a couple of times in the past year or so.

There are also several churches in the area that send people around when they are having membership drives or other special occasions.

Mormon toaster ovens as prizes?

I guess I eluded the JWs.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »
Mormon toaster ovens as prizes?

I guess I eluded the JWs.

I was talking about the basic Christian churches, Baptists, Methodists and others.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 08:18:25 PM »
Well, I need to ring in here.
My dear sweet 80 year old mother is a JW, and I used to play basketball with the Mormon Missionaries for a couple of years.
Boys 18 and up can be Missionaries.  They are expected to do so.  Girls, 21 and up can also be Sister Missionaries.  Cold calling is basically the duty of the boys.  Girls will too, but cannot enter a home unless it is to talk to the females of the house.   Boys serve 24 months, and girls serve 18 months.  Retired elderly couples can also serve, but their duties are usually not so much in proselytizing, but administration of duties and care,  of the kids.  Their record keeping is not the best.  Having an autistic adult in my house, I have asked them repeatedly not to come unannounced.  Her insistence on sameness dictates that no surprise attacks occur.  I have sent them away at least a half dozen times, asking that they not do it again.
But, the JWs, have "territories" which are little maps of your neighborhood, with a place for notes at the bottom.  If you ask them not to return, it will be years before they try again.
Just my Twin Pennies...

Interesting info!

Watchtower President Rutherford - your Mother may have memories of him, if she grew up in the witnesses - made door-to-door their principle means of outreach. The witnesses are or organized as you say. Each Kingdom Hall has an assigned territory, with a goal of visiting every home in it once or twice a year. They keep records of visits, and commonly keep track of home sales, so as to be able to visit the new home owner(s) not too long after they move in. Rural congregations probably find that goal a challenge. OTOH, I'm not sure how territories are handled when multiple congregations share the same Kingdom Hall. I assume they subdivide the original territory.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »
I've never had any Mormons come by the house, but ever so often the JWs do show up. I'm polite to them. They are polite to me. Doesn't take but a minute of my time.

I'm always astonished at how those of us who are labeled "intolerant" have much better manners than those who are self-proclaimed "tolerant".
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 09:10:25 PM »
I'm always astonished at how those of us who are labeled "intolerant" have much better manners than those who are self-proclaimed "tolerant".

Oh yeah, definitely.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 05:19:47 AM »
I've never had any Mormons come by the house, but ever so often the JWs do show up. I'm polite to them. They are polite to me. Doesn't take but a minute of my time.

My former neighbors are Mormon, when they lived next door, we had their church elders over quite frequently.  We even had them stay for supper one night, and in return, they helped me repair my road where the stream had washed it out (happens yearly). 

The JW USED to come around once/twice a year, until I greeted them at the door, after pulling an all-nighter and having about 30 minutes sleep.  I must have looked really, really rough, because they haven't been back.  This was in 2001...   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 06:59:45 AM »

You don't make them wait on your doorstep for 5 minutes while you change into worn out "tightie whities" or your wife's/GF's bikini bottoms (like that one DU member claimed he used to do)? You're so ... tolerant.

I realize that was probably sarcasm, but I figured out in the late 90s, when it was the Buzz-Word of the Year for a couple of years that the Tolerance Game was just that, a rigged game. So Libs and Progs showing their intolerance seldom surprises me, unless accompanied by a Himalayan mountain of hypocrisy.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 11:15:33 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 09:14:50 AM »
Kudos for title; Mrs Corpio faces death- barely survives attack by Mormons...  :-)

In My old neighborhood, the Baptist's (church up the street) and JW's seem to alternate months during the summer. If I saw them coming I would not open the door, other times I'd take the literature and thank them for visiting. One really hot summer I saw them coming but met them with bottles of cold water.......90 degree heat and dark suits ? That is conviction.  :cheersmate:
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne