Author Topic: Apparently Obama wants reparations  (Read 2205 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Apparently Obama wants reparations
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »
CHICAGO » Sen. Barack Obama, speaking to a gathering of minority journalists yesterday, stopped short of endorsing an official U.S. apology to American Indians but said the country should acknowledge its history of poor treatment of certain ethnic groups.

"There's no doubt that when it comes to our treatment of Native Americans as well as other persons of color in this country, we've got some very sad and difficult things to account for," Obama told hundreds of attendees of UNITY '08, a convention of four minority journalism associations.

The Hawaii-born senator, who has told local reporters that he supports the federal recognition bill for native Hawaiians drafted by U.S. Sen. Daniel Akaka, noted other ethnic groups but did not mention native Hawaiians when answering a question about his thoughts on a formal U.S. apology to American Indians.

"I personally would want to see our tragic history, or the tragic elements of our history, acknowledged," the Democratic presidential hopeful said.

"I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds."

Obama, who appeared tired in his first major appearance since returning Saturday from a 10-day trip abroad, met with a receptive audience at the Chicago convention. Some journalists had waited three hours for the 40-minute appearance.

The group had expected Obama and Sen. John McCain to speak on Thursday night, but because of scheduling conflicts, only Obama could attend yesterday morning's talk.

When Obama walked on stage at the McCormick Center, many journalists in the audience leapt to their feet and applauded enthusiastically after being told not to do so. During a two-minute break halfway through the event, which was broadcast live on CNN, journalists ran to the stage to snap photos of Obama.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/07/28/news/story05.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Jim

Re: Apparently Obama wants reparations
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
BHO wouldn't qualify for reparations.

Actually most blacks in America don't.  Their families came after slavery ended.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »
I watched part of that speech, what I finally heard him say was something to the effect that "reparations should come in the form of good schools, health care and jobs, and equality in the justice system.

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:31:12 AM »
I watched part of that speech, what I finally heard him say was something to the effect that "reparations should come in the form of good schools, health care and jobs, and equality in the justice system.

done (thrown all the money we can at it), done (no one is refused needed care) , done (AA) and done (bad old days are long gone).  there.  that was easy !
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »

Equality is a funny word. It's not the government's job to make sure that harry hardluck in the inner city has the same healthcare plan as Bob Whiteypants in the suburb. Harry Hardluck has some responsibility to built the same work situation via effort and schooling that Bob Whiteypants did. If he feels he's oppressed in some way, givne all the opportunities, perhaps it is time to address what in his micro culture of the inner city is keeping him from obtaining the 'equality' of what Bob Whiteypants has.

Oftentimes, it is issues with communication, articulation, disregard of education, and glorification of a quick buck for little work that keeps Harry Hardluck from obtaining 'equality' and landing himself shackled to a permanent 'convict' label. That is NOT for the government to correct, but for Harry Hardluck and his immediate community to correct and shift their priorities.

People are loathe sometimes to see it is they that are their own worse enemy, but those communities should ask themselves short of handing out jobs and college degrees wihtout merit, what exactly is it that they are asking for? Sometimes I get the feeling there are individuals who really seek revenge for grievances they didn't even experience ie some won't be happy unless the tables are turned.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »
An elderly aquaintance has ancestors who came here as slave, he and a brother. They began as field slaves in LA when it was French. They learned to read and write, in two languages, and worked their way into freedom.

They were, thru very hard work, able to purchase a large farm (plantation") and they sent for domestic indentured servants in Holland. Two women arrived as their indentured, and the drothers eventually legally married the women.

In 5 short generations, the gentleman I knew was a senior Justice on the NYS Court of Appeals (NYS HIGHEST Court) was a very substantial citizen apart from that and a very nice person who would have been insulted if someonew would have suggested that he be paid for his ancestors slavery.

Going for the reperations is going for the lowest common denominator.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
I would almost support reparations, at least in concept........but only if their payment was concurrent with an end to the "War on Poverty".

One last payment, and you are on your own.....forever...........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
People in hell want ice water too.....

I'm not paying reparations to anyone....I didn't even have family in this country until almost 1900 on one side and the 1921 on the other!

Not my fault!!!!  <a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZN%2526i%253D15%252F15%255F5%255F20%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0

:-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 04:48:38 PM »
My family arrived in 1634-5 on Dad's side. On Mom's, sometime  before the revolution.  Both sides were Patriots, and had ancestors in the revolution. Both sides were abolitionists, tho., and only Mon's side were in the Covil War. Union, of course!

Interestingly, my wife's GG Grandfather was a blockade runner. Until the 1950's there was a 50 gal bbl full of Confederate currency in the old barn behind the house. Then, they took it to the dump.......

But reperations are OUT.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »
BHO wouldn't qualify for reparations.

Actually most blacks in America don't.  Their families came after slavery ended.

That is why they want them.

Real descendants of slaves have too much pride to ask for handouts.  It is the immigrants, like hussein, who see the chance for free money.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »
I somewhat get a chuckle out of all these rich black folks crying about being held down by whitie.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 06:06:34 AM »
My wallet seizes up when I hear this kind of talk.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »
I somewhat get a chuckle out of all these rich black folks crying about being held down by whitie.

i know.. the most vocal on their side are the most wealthy.

i want to know how many dollars pelosi is donating to al gore's carbon offsets program.

Offline Jim

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »
My family arrived in 1634-5 on Dad's side. On Mom's, sometime  before the revolution.  Both sides were Patriots, and had ancestors in the revolution. Both sides were abolitionists, tho., and only Mon's side were in the Covil War. Union, of course!

Interestingly, my wife's GG Grandfather was a blockade runner. Until the 1950's there was a 50 gal bbl full of Confederate currency in the old barn behind the house. Then, they took it to the dump.......

But reperations are OUT.

Old confederate money used to be near trash.  Its getting to be valuable now as so much of it has gone into landfills.  Too bad about that barrel-o-cash...