Author Topic: How much do you have to make to be rich, according to Recursion?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/12511018358

Star Member Recursion (43,936 posts)

Sorry, just because, WTF? $250K is not "middle class"

Last edited Sun Jan 17, 2016, 11:47 AM - Edit history (1)
I'd like to redo that thread.

$250K is five times the median US household income.

$250K is three times the median household income in Manhattan, AFAIK the richest county in the US.

$250K is three and a half times the median household income in San Francisco.

Once you get over about $70K or so you're pretty clearly "rich". No matter where you are. If you can't admit that I can't really take you seriously. Dude, if you think 70k or thereabouts is "rich", let me clue you in. You are NOT rich on 70k, no matter how you slice it.

(I live in India and I can tell you that people here would say that about $34K or so, which is the literal "1%" line for the world.)

Now, people say, "oh, but in expensive neighborhoods that money goes away so fast."

"I know I make an objectively large amount of money, but there's so much less of it once I've spent it all."

There will always be people much richer than most people. They will always want to live in certain neighborhoods, and those neighborhoods will change over time. I even acknowledge there's a purpose for those people in the world.

(Most Americans, compared to the rest of the world, are "those people".)

But there's absolutely no way that $250K is anything but "really, really rich" in the context of the US. Or anywhere else.

EDIT: BTW there may be perfectly valid macro reasons not to raise incone taxes on people earning less than $250K. I'd even largely agree in theory. That doesn't detract from my point.

Star Member Agschmid (21,887 posts)
1. Come live in Boston, 70k isn't "rich"...

Star Member Recursion (43,936 posts)
5. I've lived there. On $32K. I was doing quite well as a single dude.

Yes, $70K is "rich". Period.

7. No it's not. Period.

Star Member darkangel218 (13,706 posts)
32. Oh yes, it is.

36. Lol... we are having such a great debate on the issues.

It's not "broke" or "poor" but to call someone who makes 70k where the average apartment rent is... $2,100 for a 1-Bedroom ($25,000 a year, 36% of 70k) And the average home price is... $455,500 which has a 30-year fixed monthly cost of $2,142, again about 36% of income. These costs don't include any utilities, transit costs, car payments of you have one (parking for said car), oh and college loans of you still have those.

To call that rich is ridiculous.

House: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-places-to-live-2013-single-family-homes/#.Vpu6Zew8KnM

Apartment: https://www.jumpshell.com/posts/average-rent-in-boston

Star Member Ed Suspicious (6,910 posts)
43. Yes it is.

50. It's not. Period.

Do the math. What's left over after taxes and the costs associated with living in my area.

Yes 70k would be great in some areas for one person but it's not in Boston, this area has a high cost of living.

Do the math, 70k isn't rich and if you want to live in the same town as where you work you are paying upwards of 36% of your income to housing. Most guidance suggests never paying over 30% to housing costs.

People can post "yes it is" to me all day long but I can tell you it's not.

There is more drivel where this stuff came from.

Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: How much do you have to make to be rich, according to Recursion?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:23 PM »
But . . . But . . . But . . .

We BEEEEEEELIEEEEVVVVVEEE IT IS!!!!!!!!![/du]

****ing single-cell organisms . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »
libtards' REAL definition of "rich" = "anyone who makes/has more money than me."

The correlation is: "rich" = "more money than you need"

The only possible result is: "you must transfer the money you don't need to me."
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:46:05 PM »
"Duck season!"

"Wabbit season!"

Agschmid (21,887 posts)
50. It's not. Period.

Do the math. What's left over after taxes and the costs associated with living in my area.

Uh huh.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »
     In fairness to the DUmmies, I can see how they'd think someone making $70K is "rich," since most of them end up begging at one point or another, and a good chunk of them howl about their hourly-paid menial jobs.

Along those same lines, my dog must think I'm the richest person in the world, because he can see and smell what I eat, and he doesn't get it.

Which is to imply, of course, that DUmmies have pretty much the same perspective as my dog, and indeed many of them live the same way my dog does: wait around until someone feeds them, then go shit outside and maybe howl and bark at absolutely nothing until I tell them to shut to **** up.

I still prefer my dog, who is a good boy.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
libtards' REAL definition of "rich" = "anyone who makes/has more money than me."

The only possible result is: "you must transfer the money you don't need to me."

Here's a thought exercise for you worthless DUmbasses:

Add up the value of all the shit you demand be given to you for free, and tell me if you feel rich.

You won't, and it's a lot of money.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »
     In fairness to the DUmmies, I can see how they'd think someone making $70K is "rich," since most of them end up begging at one point or another, and a good chunk of them howl about their hourly-paid menial jobs.

Along those same lines, my dog must think I'm the richest person in the world, because he can see and smell what I eat, and he doesn't get it.

Which is to imply, of course, that DUmmies have pretty much the same perspective as my dog, and indeed many of them live the same way my dog does: wait around until someone feeds them, then go shit outside and maybe howl and bark at absolutely nothing until I tell them to shut to **** up.

DUmmies rub their asses across Mom's carpet, which is why they are banned to the basement.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »

***RIDICULEBOT RESULTS***

Rolex Randy Shaw has still collected exactly $0.00 in his effort to be funded to be an asshole.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 01:00:33 PM »

Rolex Randy Shaw has still collected exactly $0.00 in his effort to be funded to be an asshole.

There is Justice in the universe.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 02:52:25 PM »
$70K is rich? Yeah, right! Try buying a house in Silicon Valley with that as your income! I don't think a bank would write that mortgage, even with a 50% down payment! Maybe not even for a condo, with a 50% down payment.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »
Envious & lazy parasites.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »
It's like watching monkeys try to assemble a nuclear device.

Gee, I don't know. Why is the cost of living so high in your deepest blue shitholes?  $34K puts you in the top 1%, worldwide.  Yet, that would have you almost homeless in SF, NY, Chicago and Baaahhsten.

Why (D)Ummies?  Why?  Oh wait, I know!  It's:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »

:-)

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 05:47:36 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that made me LOL!!!  Especially the part about barking at nothing.   :lmao:

H5 Banned!

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 06:40:09 PM »

Speaking of which, why is it when I've finished eating I have to prove to my dog I don't have anymore food on me? Like I'm a freakin' black jack dealer!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »
I'm guessing that a lot of those saying that $70K is rich are most likely BernieBots.  They may have finally gotten a clue that all his promises would mean raising taxes all the way town to the working poor.   :hammer:

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 01:17:10 AM »

That has a nice ring of truth to it, but I'd put a finer point on it:

libtards' REAL definition of "rich" = "anyone who makes/has more money than me, AND disagrees with me politically".

The 'richness' of political allies is invisible to DUmmies.

CMD

"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »

Quit insulting your dog.
Only a small percentage of the DUmmies would bother to go outside to shit.
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »
If someone make $1 more than a DUmmie that person is considered "rich"
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »
If someone make $1 more than a DUmmie that person is considered "rich"

It's much, much worse than that. If you make $1 more than a DUmmy, and if you're not on the DUmmy exempt list (any celebrity liberal), they want half of that dollar. This process continues, because while x1 = x2, there is an x3 somewhere such that x3 > x2. This requires that x1 (the DUmmy) demands that a payment (let's just call it a "reparation") be made such that x1 = x3.
But now x1 > x2, so x1 has to expend effort to either keep x2 in the dark about this new inequity, or x1 has to convince x2 that he doesn't deserve to have the equity that he worked so hard to finagle for himself. And so on, and so forth, until everyone has exactly the same outcome, except for people who are exempt from this process (Clinton, Gore, Soros, 99.999% of Hollywood, etc).
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 03:47:02 PM »

It's much, much worse than that. If you make $1 more than a DUmmy, and if you're not on the DUmmy exempt list (any celebrity liberal), they want half of that dollar. This process continues, because while x1 = x2, there is an x3 somewhere such that x3 > x2. This requires that x1 (the DUmmy) demands that a payment (let's just call it a "reparation") be made such that x1 = x3.
But now x1 > x2, so x1 has to expend effort to either keep x2 in the dark about this new inequity, or x1 has to convince x2 that he doesn't deserve to have the equity that he worked so hard to finagle for himself. And so on, and so forth, until everyone has exactly the same outcome, except for people who are exempt from this process (Clinton, Gore, Soros, 99.999% of Hollywood, etc).

English please. I'm not quite drunk enough to understand algebra.

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 04:21:06 PM »
English please. I'm not quite drunk enough to understand algebra.

Simple:

If I make more than you, you want half.

If someone else makes more than us, you want half, but you don't want to split the half with me.

So you pass a few laws to make sure you keep getting half, and I get squat.

See: Reid, Harry.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »

Simple:

If I make more than you, you want half.

If someone else makes more than us, you want half, but you don't want to split the half with me.

So you pass a few laws to make sure you keep getting half, and I get squat.

See: Reid, Harry.

Ahhh..Democrat, for short.