Author Topic: The Greatest Scandal  (Read 1444 times)

Offline megimoo

The Greatest Scandal
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:04:12 AM »
The profound failure of inner-city public schools to teach children may be the nation's greatest scandal. The differences between the two Presidential candidates on this could hardly be more stark. John McCain is calling for alternatives to the system; Barack Obama wants the kids to stay within that system. We think the facts support Senator McCain.

"Parents ask only for schools that are safe, teachers who are competent and diplomas that open doors of opportunity," said Mr. McCain in remarks recently to the NAACP. "When a public system fails, repeatedly, to meet these minimal objectives, parents ask only for a choice in the education of their children." Some parents may opt for a better public school or a charter school; others for a private school. The point, said the Senator, is that "no entrenched bureaucracy or union should deny parents that choice and children that opportunity."

Mr. McCain cited the Washington, D.C., Opportunity Scholarship Program, a federally financed school-choice program for disadvantaged kids signed into law by President Bush in 2004. Qualifying families in the District of Columbia receive up to $7,500 a year to attend private K-12 schools. To qualify, a child must live in a family with a household income below 185% of the poverty level. Some 1,900 children participate; 99% are black or Hispanic. Average annual income is just over $22,000 for a family of four.

A recent Department of Education report found nearly 90% of participants in the D.C. program have higher reading scores than peers who didn't receive a scholarship. There are five applicants for every opening.

Mr. McCain could have mentioned EdisonLearning, a private company that took over 20 of Philadelphia's 45 lowest performing district schools in 2002 to create a new management model for public schools. The most recent state test-score data show that student performance at Philadelphia public schools managed by Edison and other outside providers has improved by nearly twice the amount as the schools run by the district.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121720068489088381.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: The Greatest Scandal
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:14:04 AM »
Nice article.  I didn't know McCain was that no board with school choice.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:18:56 AM »
It's a start, but I think it should be open to ALL, regardless of income level.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »

Are you kidding?!?!?!? The public schools would lose too much money!!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »

Good--then maybe my property taxes would go down instead of throwing them down that black hole of public education?

Oh who the **** am I kidding?  The 'Rats will find something else to spend it on....
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:04:02 PM »

Good--then maybe my property taxes would go down instead of throwing them down that black hole of public education?

Oh who the **** am I kidding?  The 'Rats will find something else to spend it on....

Ok, this is my second warning on throwing around those racist terms!  You aren't the first one to use this kind of language and if this board doesn't get back on track ..... Al and Jessie will be sent an email.   :-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Jim

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 06:48:03 PM »

Vouchers would come from that revenue stream.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.