Author Topic: From the "WTF" files.  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
From the "WTF" files.
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:28:16 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027368443

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 07:58 AM

Shankapotomus (4,237 posts)

Is grown women calling their fathers "Daddy" a sign of unconscious submission to patriarchy?
I've heard grown women talk like this before, most recently on DU.

I'm a guy and I know it's none of my business but I always feel bad for the women I hear talk like that as if they aren't even joking but they say it as if it's just a fact.

Does not such language seem to implicitly accept the narrative that oneself is a child?

:stupidpeople:

Even the DUmp thinks it is a moron.

Response to Shankapotomus (Original post)

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:05 AM

Star Member etherealtruth (16,527 posts)
2. The only adult people I can recall doing that were men, from the south, referring to their "daddy"

It may be a regional appellation . I have no doubt that women use it as well.

i hear mother's referred to as "mama"/ "momma" as often.

Response to etherealtruth (Reply #2)

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:11 AM

9. I can understand "Dad"

But "Daddy" sounds like a little too much deference, imo.

I don't doubt that both genders can do it. I wonder if it is a sign of the level of control a male parent has on their child.

Older white men in the south, statistically, do tend to be conservatives and their sons seem to follow too obediently in that tradition.

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:08 AM

Star Member enough (8,575 posts)
6. No.

Is there an approved list of words to call your father that do not indicate unconscious submission to patriarchy?

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:13 AM

Quantess (26,673 posts)
10. Are you serious?

Is this what DU has come to?

Who cares?!!
Response to Quantess (Reply #10)

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:19 AM

14. Who cares?

I care.

Maybe it's time people grew up psychologically and stopped allowing the older generation to project infantilism upon them through speech.

This is why normal people laugh at you demented scum.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: From the "WTF" files.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:06 AM »
From Carl...

This is why normal people laugh at you demented scum.
That says it all, so I hate to even comment.
But, I hate to lurk and run even more.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:55:19 AM »
The OPer imagined the "answer" to his "question" would be win-win - either DU feminazis would go to town about "Patriarchy", or it would be shown to be a southern-ism and/or middle-America-ism that would then be fodder for further DU mockery of normal people. He didn't have the minimal intelligence to anticipate that some DU-folk might point out the breathless silliness of his "question", and, consequently, got shanked.

Of course, the answer to his "question" comes from something the OPer evidently can't imagine: the adult women who call their fathers "Daddy" love and respect their Dad. I know, deep and profound ...
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:59:01 AM »

Is grown women calling their fathers "Daddy" a sign of unconscious submission to patriarchy?
if the term daddy bothers you so much, then feel free to refer to your daddy as "sperm donor", or "the man who raped your momma".  Either phrase should be more acceptable to you and put your little mind at ease.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »
if the term daddy bothers you so much, then feel free to refer to your daddy as "sperm donor", or "the man who raped your momma".  Either phrase should be more acceptable to you and put your little mind at ease.

"another $20.00."
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Delmar

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 09:50:27 AM »
Response to Shankapotomus (Original post)Sat Nov 21, 2015, 09:57 AM
JanMichael (22,081 posts)
81. i think calling parents mommy & daddy when over 12 years old is freaking weird.

for men and women.

mom or dad sure but adding the y is infantile sounding to me. i come in contact with adults that say mommy and daddy in reference to their parents or a regular basis and the majority if them are what i would call overly dependent and failed adults.

just my observation though. obviously i am wrong and mean and just nasty.

That is rich, a primitive calling someone overly dependent or a failed adult.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 09:59:01 AM »
Response to Shankapotomus (Original post)Sat Nov 21, 2015, 09:57 AM
JanMichael (22,081 posts)
81. i think calling parents mommy & daddy when over 12 years old is freaking weird.

for men and women.

mom or dad sure but adding the y is infantile sounding to me. i come in contact with adults that say mommy and daddy in reference to their parents or a regular basis and the majority if them are what i would call overly dependent and failed adults.

just my observation though. obviously i am wrong and mean and just nasty.

I called my Mon and Dad "Mom" and "Dad" longer than I can remember, literally. Why not "Mommy" and "Daddy" I don't now, but I think it may have been the cultural norm where I grew up. Different regions of the US have different sub-cultures. It takes great arrogance and immaturity to attribute immaturity to a minor sub-cultural difference ... not that that is surprising on DU. The cultural chauvinism I've seen displayed by/among DUers continues to amaze me.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline hillneck

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
Freaking subhuman idiots on Skin's Island at it again.  Sounds like someone woke up this morning with Daddy issues. 
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »
What strikes me is why is this any of Shank's business to be even thinking about it, letting alone chewing up time making internet threads about it?  What each family chooses to call each other is personal and entirely up to them.  JHC.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »
What strikes me is why is this any of Shank's business to be even thinking about it, letting alone chewing up time making internet threads about it?  What each family chooses to call each other is personal and entirely up to them.  JHC.

Spot on! I didn't grow up saying "Daddy", so hearing that is unfamiliar to my ears. OTOH, to some one who does say that my saying "Dad" might sound cold and distant. Big whoop! How is it that DU-folk claim to be so-o-o-ooo tolerant of other cultures, yet have a thread about this? Geesh!

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »
Couldn't help myself after reading what set off the DUmmie hand wringing.

Enjoy one of John Wayne's best scenes.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq0gp54818A[/youtube]
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »
I can't believe no one got the real reason why adult women call their father Daddy: They're playing the daddy's girl card to get something from their father...

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »

14. Who cares?

I care.

Maybe it's time people grew up psychologically and stopped allowing the older generation to project infantilism upon them through speech.

This coming from the group who tries to infantilize all of us through the government. 

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »

14. Who cares?

I care.

Maybe it is time you grew up and started acting like an adult instead of a whiny little spoiled bitch.

5 cents please.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 07:16:56 AM »

:thumbs:
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 07:19:27 AM »

14. Who cares?

I care.

Maybe it's time you go **** yourself, Spunkalupagus. It doesn't pick your pocket or break your arm, so mind you own damn business.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 09:15:42 AM »
Seriously, WTF? Let anyone call their parents what they want.

Especially since according to liberals, one can identify with whatever they feel like that particular moment.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline samspade

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »
That is rich, a primitive calling someone overly dependent or a failed adult.
My take is it depends where you hail from and that may determine how you address your parents.  My children call me dad and to this day I still refer to my mother as mom although she passed away.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »
Skankopotamus, Employee of the Month at the Ministry of Truth.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 03:00:29 PM »
My sister and I are 44 & 45; and we still call our daddy "Daddy". I think it may be regional or cultural....I cannot imagine calling him "dad". It just doesn't sound right to me.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »
It's a DUmmist authoritarian thing.  The DUmmie feels uncomfortable when a woman addresses her male parent in a certain way so he has to step up and change the language.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »
Maybe it's time you go **** yourself, Spunkalupagus. It doesn't pick your pocket or break your arm, so mind you own damn business.

Exactly.

Hi-5.

CmD
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
Shankapotomus (4,271 posts)
199. Your Dad sounds like a great person

I should have made clear from the opening post there are, of course, many exceptions. Of course, I wasn't accusing even the non-exceptions of being in any way lesser people.
Yes, you were, skankpotomus.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 08:46:02 PM »
Quantess (26,673 posts)
10. Are you serious?

Is this what DU has come to?

Who cares?!!

:rotf: :rotf:  Clue:  It's never been anything else.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
My sister and I are 44 & 45; and we still call our daddy "Daddy". I think it may be regional or cultural....I cannot imagine calling him "dad". It just doesn't sound right to me.

Most of it is.  Growing up in Chicago, and to this day, it was always just "Dad" and "Mom".  Now that I am a Southerner, of sorts  :-) , I have heard "Daddy" quite often.  All that being said, what in the f*** is wrong with these people?

:o  You're not kidding.  And this, from the biggest collection of preschoolers on the web.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:53:35 PM by 98ZJUSMC »

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx