Author Topic: How Democratic is DemocraticUnderground?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline CC27

How Democratic is DemocraticUnderground?
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »
RealistComments (16 posts)

As per the Wikipedia article on DemocraticUnderground:

Democratic Underground has been criticized by some current and former members for an overly broad censorship policy that extends outside the bounds of its stated terms of service, for banning members with opinions perceived as unpopular among the membership, and for limiting free speech for political reasons... In addition, there is a task force called "The Malicious Intruder Removal Team" (MIRT), which actively and aggressively censors and bans members whose views or expressions of opinion they deem offensive for any reason. The MIRT is made up of discussion forum members who volunteer to serve. Their role is "to keep the discussion forum clear of conservative trolls, spammers, and other undesireables." No defense or appeal from their decisions is permitted."

All this seems rather dictatorial. I agree that regular posters here want a place where they want to hear opinions similar to their own, and indeed if that is their wish they are entitled to have it. But such censorship is not democratic, and the name "Democratic Underground" is misleading, and it is never good to mislead or be misled.

Maybe the name could be changed to "Left Underground"?

Be careful there mole.

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?action=post;board=10.0

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
Re: How Democratic is DemocraticUnderground?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »
That mole would make himself/herself/itself stand out more if the title to the thread was:

How Democrat is DemocratUnderground?
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
That mole would make himself/herself/itself stand out more if the title to the thread was:

How Democrat is DemocratUnderground?

I love using the word democrat in place of the word democratic.
Do you know why ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 09:34:59 AM »
Do you know why ?

No, and I anxiously await, with eager anticipation, your reason.

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 09:35:47 AM »
Do you know why ?

It sounds more like a noun than it does an adjective?
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »
No, and I anxiously await, with eager anticipation, your reason.

It sounds more like a noun than it does an adjective?

Because liberals DISGUST me !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 09:45:28 AM »
demmiblue (7,175 posts)
7. Democrats ARE the left (or should be).

There are quite a few centrists here (some seem to tip over to the right quite a bit, depending on the issue). Also, I have not seen any evidence of the far left on this board.

I don't know why anyone here would not want "to keep the discussion forum clear of conservative trolls, spammers, and other undesireables." I'm sure you will become acquainted with MIRT soon enough, though.

Damn Sparky, I want some of whatever it is you're smoking or drinking. DU sets the standard for the far left.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »

Because liberals DISGUST me !

Heh. Maybe I should trademark that and charge for its use.

:cheersmate:

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:49:28 AM »
Name removed (0 posts)

Message auto-removed

Thus proving the point.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
Poor RC wasn't aware of the 100-post limit at DU (or is it 200?).

Taken out by The Man.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 10:19:34 AM »
Poor RC wasn't aware of the 100-post limit at DU (or is it 200?).

Taken out by The Man.
$kimmer changes those arbitrary rules often.  I can never keep track.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
$kimmer changes those arbitrary rules often.  I can never keep track.
There's supposed to be a NoobNeutralizerTM system in place that monitors anyone with fewer than a couple hundred posts and zaps their comments without the group "hosts" having to lift a finger.

I find it creepy and amusing at the same time.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »

I was going to predict that this would be RC's fate, but it's already happened. What a non-shock.

Doubtless that would be my fate, if I posted my opinions openly there. And if I registered with one of the two forum names I commonly use (e.g. "SVPete") I might get banned before getting a chance to post. There's nothing democratic about DU, and if the wrong sort of Democrats post their views there, they might get Alerted into a time-out or Banhood. Charming place, DU.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 11:25:40 AM »
I was going to predict that this would be RC's fate, but it's already happened. What a non-shock.

Doubtless that would be my fate, if I posted my opinions openly there. And if I registered with one of the two forum names I commonly use (e.g. "SVPete") I might get banned before getting a chance to post. There's nothing democratic about DU, and if the wrong sort of Democrats post their views there, they might get Alerted into a time-out or Banhood. Charming place, DU.

Yup. You must pass their purity test. As the old saying goes, "No true Scotsman......".

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 02:53:55 PM »
How about just naming it what it is: I Can't Stand to Have My Tender Sensibilities Offended or Hear Opinions Different From Mine

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 03:19:36 PM »
How Democratic is Democratic Underground?

About as democratic as any totalitarian dictatorship running a country with Democratic in its name.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »
If basic democracy is mob/thug rule, then The Democrat Underground is a shining example of democracy.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 09:26:54 PM »

As per the Wikipedia article on DemocraticUnderground:

Democratic Underground has been criticized by some current and former members for an overly broad censorship policy that extends outside the bounds of its stated terms of service, for banning members with opinions perceived as unpopular among the membership, and for limiting free speech for political reasons... In addition, there is a task force called "The Malicious Intruder Removal Team" (MIRT), which actively and aggressively censors and bans members whose views or expressions of opinion they deem offensive for any reason. The MIRT is made up of discussion forum members who volunteer to serve. Their role is "to keep the discussion forum clear of conservative trolls, spammers, and other undesireables." No defense or appeal from their decisions is permitted."

All this seems rather dictatorial. I agree that regular posters here want a place where they want to hear opinions similar to their own, and indeed if that is their wish they are entitled to have it. But such censorship is not democratic, and the name "Democratic Underground" is misleading, and it is never good to mislead or be misled.

Pure democracy is mob rule. DU is mob rule.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline jukin

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
Do you know why ?

I use it because it will send leftists into fits.

Another trait of high IQ people is to act like 5 year old children when you say "democrat party."
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
Pure democracy is mob rule. DU is mob rule.  :mental:

The fact they keep intoning "the USA is a democracy" is all we need to know about both their intelligence and knowledge.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 08:21:31 AM »

As Democratic as Bill Clinton is faithful to his marriage vows.

:-)
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
Name removed (0 posts)

Message auto-removed

Kim Jung-un is pleased
Deplorable since 2016

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »
How Democratic is Democratic Underground?

About as democratic as any totalitarian dictatorship running a country with Democratic in its name.

Like the Democratic People's Republic of Korea?