Author Topic: Media Stars Will Accompany Obama Overseas  (Read 4201 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Media Stars Will Accompany Obama Overseas
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:15:56 AM »
Media Stars Will Accompany Obama Overseas

By JIM RUTENBERG
Published: July 17, 2008

WASHINGTON — Senator John McCain’s trip to Iraq last March was a low-key affair: With a small retinue of reporters chasing him abroad, the NBC News anchor Brian Williams reported on Mr. McCain’s visit there from New York, including it in the “in other political news” portion of his newscast.
But when Senator Barack Obama heads for Iraq and other places overseas this summer, Mr. Williams is planning to catch up with him in person, as are the other two network evening news anchors, Charles Gibson of ABC and Katie Couric of CBS, who, like Mr. Williams, are far along in discussions to interview Mr. Obama on successive nights.

And while the anchors are jockeying for interviews with Mr. Obama at stops along his route, the regulars on the Obama campaign plane will have new seatmates: star political reporters from the major newspapers and magazines who are flocking to catch Mr. Obama’s first overseas trip since becoming the presumptive Democratic nominee. A “Meet the Press” interview is also being planned.

The extraordinary coverage planned for Mr. Obama’s trip, though in part solicited by aides, reflects how the candidate remains an object of fascination in the news media, a built-in feature of being the first black presidential nominee for a major political party and a relative newcomer to the national stage.

But the coverage also feeds into concerns in Mr. McCain’s campaign, and among Republicans in general, that the news media are imbalanced in their coverage of the candidates, just as aides to Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton felt during the primary season.

Read the rest at the: Link

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Media Stars Will Accompany Obama Overseas
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »
Oops will someone move this thread to a more suitable forum.  I wasn't paying attention when I posted it.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
Oops will someone move this thread to a more suitable forum.  I wasn't paying attention when I posted it.

I was in the process of posting this same story to the elections forum, but you beat me to it. :-)
I'll transport it there.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »

I was in the process of posting this same story to the elections forum, but you beat me to it. :-)
I'll transport it there.

Thanks WE.   :-*

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »

the way it is probably going to play will be reminiscent of that silly bus tour that algore
and bildo clinton took after their convention in 92, where the coverage was positively
fawning.  more than anything else, the MSM seemed to concentrate their coverage on the
adoring crowds, which was absolutely backwards reasoning; the media predicted large
crowds for "the first yuppie ticket in history", then proceeded to create a self fulfilling
prophesy by finding adoring crowds everywhere they went, regardless of whether it was a
adoring or even if it was a crowd or not.

the same thing will happen here.  it will be an "historic event" (not the smallest reason being
because all of the media stars are involved, and they LIKE to be part of history), and all of
europe will be genuflecting before The BarackStar!, we will hear phrase "restore faith and
respect for the united states" a zillion times, and no matter how what ridiculous or insane
thing the man says, unless he tries to declare war on latvia or something, it will be completely
ignored.

the european trip will be an historic moment, because the media wants to cover an historic
moment.  even if that means that they have to create it themselves.

oh, and the fact that the MSM is totally in the tank for this guy won't hurt him any, either.

Offline Jim

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:27:41 AM »
There is more to earning foreign policy cred than getting on a plane and giving a stump speech.

This junior nobody still has no clue on this subject and neither does anyone else on the left.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »
Just out of curiousity.....who's going to foot the bill for security for this group?

The way I understand it....the Secret Service is already protecting Obama.....so that's means our tax dollars are paying for that...which is acceptable. They are also providing protection to McCain.

So who pays for what's going to turn into hundreds of others going along?

Who pays to protect Katie's hairdresser, makeup person, and carries her luggage? And the rest of the people she travels with?

They are all going to be a nice large target for terrorists.....might as well draw targets on them. ::)

And our Soldiers and Marines will be between them and the bad guys..... :censored:

Wonder if Obama knows how to spell subtle.....since he doesn't know the meaning :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
Just out of curiousity.....who's going to foot the bill for security for this group?

The way I understand it....the Secret Service is already protecting Obama.....so that's means our tax dollars are paying for that...which is acceptable. They are also providing protection to McCain.

So who pays for what's going to turn into hundreds of others going along?

Who pays to protect Katie's hairdresser, makeup person, and carries her luggage? And the rest of the people she travels with?

They are all going to be a nice large target for terrorists.....might as well draw targets on them. ::)

And our Soldiers and Marines will be between them and the bad guys..... :censored:

Wonder if Obama knows how to spell subtle.....since he doesn't know the meaning :uhsure:

But everybody loves BHO  !   Except for the KKK-GOP.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Katie Colonic? Could they have picked a more biased person?

The MSM is clearly in the backpocket of Ooooobama's campaign. This will not be reporting. It will be a premature victory lap. *eyeroll*

I can't wait to see the softballs they lob during the interviews.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 10:00:15 AM »
There is more to earning foreign policy cred than getting on a plane and giving a stump speech.

This junior nobody still has no clue on this subject and neither does anyone else on the left.

perception becomes reality, and perception is malleable.

all they will report is the cheering crowds and the adoring masses.  he could stand up there and
read "mary had a little lamb", and the MSM will make him out to be the world's most sophisticated
statesman and diplomat.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »
Katie Colonic? Could they have picked a more biased person?

The MSM is clearly in the backpocket of Ooooobama's campaign. This will not be reporting. It will be a premature victory lap. *eyeroll*

I can't wait to see the softballs they lob during the interviews.

THAT was precisely the phrase I was looking for earlier, but couldn't put my finger on.  H5* for being much smarter than me (again) :-)

*like you need it. :whatever:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:52 AM »
:-)

I ate my Wheaties today that's all.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 10:18:24 AM »
What I want to know is how the media is going to spin this trip when they look around and discover Obama is looking like this guy:

We get the news over there.  Stars & Stripes reports on what's going on and being said in the elections.  The soldiers will be as favorably responsive to Barakstar! as they were to Her Thighness and The War HeroTM
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 10:41:11 AM by TheSarge »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »

it's good that the media is going with him on all these trips, because apparently, his wife is staying home

I can actually understand her not going to iraq and afghanistan.  not so much europe.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 01:59:45 PM »
I'm kind of surprised that Katie Couric is going as she is the only surviving parent for her girls.

Guess when you are paid millions, you do what the boss says......and think of the publicity.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »
I'm kind of surprised that Katie Couric is going as she is the only surviving parent for her girls.

Guess when you are paid millions, you do what the boss says......and think of the publicity.

he's only going to europe this time.  unless obama and his retinue are trampled to death by a stampede of surrendering frenchies, I don't think there is going to me much danger on this trip.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
I can just see "Perky" Katie Couric now, all doe eyed:
"Senator Obama, how does it feel to be an African American running for President"?
Or, "Senator Obama, how did it make you feel when you gave that candy bar to that little random Iraqi child who ran up to you totally unstaged"?
Or, "Senator Obama you're so handsome! Tell us how you're going to save the children"?

:puke:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 08:02:21 PM »

Were you surfing the boobiez threads again, BEG?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »
it bears remembering that this first time traveler to europe is the chairman of the US Senate Subcommittee on European Affairs.

it is also worth mentioning that this subcommittee has oversight responsibility over NATO, which constitutes a large portion of the combat forces in afghanistan.

edit for : US SENATE Subcommittee on European Affairs :whatever:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:04:39 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »

it bears remembering that this first time traveler to europe is the chairman of the US Subcommittee on European Affairs.

it is also worth mentioning that this subcommittee has oversight responsibility over NATO, which constitutes a large portion of the combat forces in afghanistan.

The first time traveler?  Oh my!  :hyper:
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:12 AM »

it bears remembering that this first time traveler to europe is the chairman of the US Subcommittee on European Affairs.

And again the double standard of the Libtards raises it's ugly head. 

Remember in 2000 how the media and the left excoriated President Bush for his lack of world travels and pounded him on not knowing all the foreign heads of state and capitol cites and such?

But with Barakstar! it doesn't seem to matter.  :whatever:

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 06:47:10 AM »
A good time for McCain to announce his running mate then.   

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 06:49:58 AM »
This could also work against him if the internet puts it on full boil Obama's link to the muslim world, especially if the media shows Obama pandering and fawning all over them during his visit.     

They won't resonate well with the hard working, church going, tax paying, middle class American democrats.    He kind of needs their vote.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »
This could also work against him if the internet puts it on full boil Obama's link to the muslim world, especially if the media shows Obama pandering and fawning all over them during his visit.     

They won't resonate well with the hard working, church going, tax paying, middle class American democrats.    He kind of needs their vote.

he wrote them off long ago, after all, they "cling to guns and religion, and have antipathy for those not like them"

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »