Author Topic: Tobin still looks for Job. Denies looking for Job. Has Job. Job.  (Read 495 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
last we had heard our gallant Hero Tobin wasn't looking for work but bought a new suit from the Men's Wearhouse for interviews. On today's episode Tobin neeeeeeeds a job.

Tobin S. (7,434 posts) http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018735038

I'm having a rough go of it on the job search.
There are jobs out there, but they are mostly entry level deals making 30k a year. I'm 42 and I have bills. I can't make it on that.

I might have an interview for a truck driving position. It pays in the 50s the first year and the low 70s the second year. I also am looking at a different company that's paying 80k for truckers on a dedicated account. The draw back to both jobs is that you have to unload the truck. That's why they pay so well. Most drivers don't want to unload trucks and won't take those kinds of jobs even if they pay better.

Yeah, it's the ol' supply and demand deal. I have a bachelor's degree now, but the job market is basically flooded with people like me who went back to school when the market tanked. So even though I have the degree I can't find anything in my field that pays well. There are probably truckers out there who didn't even graduate from high school who are making 70k-80k a year, just because they are in demand. I think truckers are worth that, but a good education should count for something, too.

It's tough making a go of it in this Barry economy.

CaliforniaPeggy (114,117 posts)
1. I am sorry to hear this, my dear Tobin...

I'm pleased (and not surprised!) that you see the situation so clearly. Deluding yourself sure doesn't help, does it?

Didn't you say there might be a change at the top in your current company? Perhaps you could hold on to see if that materializes? This is just my thought right now, and I may be way off base!

Good luck, no matter what road you decide to take.

CALPEG is just creepy...

Tobin S. (7,434 posts)
2. I've heard a rumor that a dispatcher is going to be quitting this summer where I currently work, but I don't think I would even be in consideration for the job. I'm also not sure I would want it, and I don't think it would pay much better than what I'm making there now.

I'm basically type-cast at my current employer. That's the price you have to pay sometimes for being very good at doing a hard job. The good news is that I'll always have a job there. The bad news is that I can't move out of my current position and up the ladder.

I could stay with what I'm doing now and be okay. I've written about that before and it is tempting. However, I will never really be able to get ahead financially there, or it will be several more years before I am able to. That's why I'm looking at other driving jobs right now.

:o

cwydro (16,273 posts)
16. North Dakota is booming right now.

I've heard they have lots of transportation jobs.

because of the oil industry Barry is trying to shut down.

Tobin S. (7,434 posts)
21. There are two scenarios.

One is grocery warehouse kind of stuff. That's the harder of the two. You basically break down palletized freight and re-palletize it the way the warehouse wants it. It usually takes a few hours.

The other option involves mostly moving stuff off the truck in cages on rollers with some stuff on the floor. While still physically demanding, it's not as tough as the first deal.

Tobin wants an easier job with less hours for more pay. He is the almost perfect liberal.

(a perfect liberal would want no job for more pay)
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: Tobin still looks for Job. Denies looking for Job. Has Job. Job.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »
In my travels I have learned of 3 kinds of workers.
The first is the entrepreneur.
The entrepreneur employee will work as if the business he works for is owned by him, until one day it is.
The second is the partner.
The partner will work as hard as the entrepreneur, but doesn't want the responsibilities of ownership.
The third is the minimum wage worker.
They work just hard enough not to get fired, if that.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:56:24 AM »
The entrepreneur employee will work as if the business he works for is owned by him, until one day it is.
The partner will work as hard as the entrepreneur, but doesn't want the responsibilities of ownership.

There ya go!    :lol:

DUmmie "work ethic" in a nutshell.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:57:32 PM »

And the company will pay the minimum wage worker just enough that they won't quit.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.