Author Topic: Primitives get in line to board new disability gravy train.  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Primitives get in line to board new disability gravy train.
« on: February 04, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10026178094

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 06:42 AM

xchrom (108,623 posts)

How Does a Highly Sensitive Person Survive the Hell of the American Workplace?
http://www.alternet.org/labor/how-does-highly-sensitive-person-survive-hell-american-workplace

For those who are new to the term, "highly sensitive person," it was coined by psychologist and personality researcher Elaine Aron to describe a trait found in up to 20 percent of the population. People in this group react distinctly to their environments, both inner and outer. They tend to have a heightened awareness of emotions and respond more intensely to loud noises and other sensory stimuli. They also exhibit distinct patterns in the way they think and work. They are especially imaginative and have a tendency toward what Aron calls “deep processing” of information. HSPs tend to be conscientious, loyal, good at catching mistakes, and committed to high performance. (Take the online test to find out if you are an HSP.)

The good news is that HSPs are extremely valuable workers, contributing their intuition, wise counsel, conscientiousness, and creativity across a broad range of industries and professions. The bad new is that today’s typical office setup is completely at odds with their working and thinking styles. HSPs typically need quiet and calm, and do their best work when they can plunge into a task without interruption. They tend to be uncomfortable being watched and don’t like being drawn into office politics. They need downtime and they can become especially distracted if they are physically uncomfortable at work.

Unfortunately, in today's work environment, employees are expected to tolerate noise, be good at multi-tasking, enjoy meetings, excel in networking, tolerate long hours under florescent lights, and thrive working in teams that sit face to face much of the day. The International Management Facility Association estimates that 70 percent of American employees work in open-plan environments — what used to be called “bullpens.” These layouts are designed to maximize space, minimize cost and reduce or even eliminate private spaces or offices. Basically, it’s goodbye doors and walls. Hello cubicle and group workstation.

:whatever:

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 07:18 AM

magical thyme (9,921 posts)
1. hell is the right word. it's why I've hated work my entire life

except for a brief few years at the peak of my career when I worked at home 2 days/week.

Even cubicles don't provide enough comfort or quiet, and the lighting is horrible.

And how anybody expects a writer to work in an "open" floor plan is beyond me. I couldn't conduct interviews in peace. Imagine having to ask senior managers or executives at major corporation to repeat themselves over and over because you can't hear them over your co-workers. Or having some idiot at the desk across from you interrupting an interview with, say, the Director of User Interfaces at Microsoft, loudly demanding to know who you are talking to, what are you asking and why.

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 07:29 AM

Art_from_Ark (21,253 posts)
2. I took the test

It confirmed what I have known for years, that I am quite the sensitive type.

Gosh,there is a surprise.

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 07:33 AM

Star Member a kennedy (9,438 posts)
3. and on top of it all, they usually pay sh*t wages.......

Hell is right.

Usually to shitty employees.

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 08:12 AM

betsuni (915 posts)
4. My mother and Marcel Proust were the most highly sensitive people ever.

Noise, clothing on their skin, food, smells, change of any kind, everything. For me, it's florescent lights, they destroy me.

From Alain de Botton's "How Proust Can Change Your Life":

"Unwillingness to get out of bed: Proust preferred to spend most of his time in bed. He turned it into his desk and office. Did it provide a defense against the cruel world outside? 'When one is sad, it is lovely to lie in the warmth of one's bed, and there, with all effort and struggle at an end, even perhaps with one's head under the blankets, surrender completely to wailing, like branches in the autumn wind."

I AM UNWILLING TO GET OUT OF BED WHERE IT IS NICE.

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 10:22 AM

Star Member pipi_k (20,397 posts)
9. HSP or...

Sensory Processing Disorder.

Which is my favored term for it, since HSP sounds like it's only a matter of a person choosing to be less sensitive.

Anyway, yes.

Working in a traditional job was hell, especially having to multitask in a busy, noisy environment and having to finish certain computer jobs while fielding phone calls and visitors. I would get terrible and painful IBS symptoms that persisted for about a year after I left my last job.

Even in my own home, I can't stand a lot of stimuli like light or noise or temperatures that are too hot or too cold. Each day we turn the TV off right after lunch and we have quiet time till around 4 PM.

When things get too noisy, I wear earplugs.

If I'm forced to spend time in a noisy environment (like a family get together) I can have fun, but get echoing noises inside my head for hours afterward.

People who don't have the problem can't even imagine what it's like.

Useless jackasses.  :bird:

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Re: Primitives get in line to board new disability gravy train.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »
Meanwhile...to pay for these useless oxygen thieves and their fake disabilities:

Commission pushes military health and pension reforms

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/commission-military-health-pension-tricare-health-care-system-114743.html

The government is going to fu*k over people that are actually working productive members of society.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
Too 'sensitive' to work.

That is some sad shit, right there.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 07:33 AM

Star Member a kennedy (9,438 posts)
3. and on top of it all, they usually pay sh*t wages.......

Hell is right.

What ?
A lib working for less than a livable wage ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »
Hi Boss I has a sad, may I go home and work from bed today?  :mental: 

F*cking retards.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 01:52:59 PM »
Response to betsuni (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 10:28 AM

Star Member pipi_k (20,404 posts)
10. OMG

Fluorescent lights!!!

I hate them.

I can hear them hum. I can feel them on my skin.

If I'm in a store, for example, with fluorescent lights and shiny floors, I am near non-functional

Are you also sensitive to movement?

Like if you just happen to glance out a window and notice a very slight movement and it's a bird or something that wouldn't catch the attention of most people

Yet these are the people that insist they know what is in everyones best interest.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »

Wed Feb 4, 2015, 10:55 AM

leftyladyfrommo (7,967 posts)
16. I don't know how anyone survives the modern work place.

No one should have to endure every day what millions of Americans put up with.

And the hours people are working right now are ridiculous. Everyone in my my neighborhood leaves at 5:30 in the morning. And they don't get home until 6. It's crazy.

It`s called productive life,mutant.  :bird:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:57:57 PM by Carl »

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »
Libs think up illnesses like Hallmark makes up holidays.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 02:34:59 PM »
HSP is the new term for WLB

(whiny little bitch)

Remember this thread the next time the WLBs start lecturing about "chickenhawks."
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »
HSP is the new term for WLB

(whiny little bitch)

Remember this thread the next time the WLBs start lecturing about "chickenhawks."

That was a good book by the way.
A former US Army helo pilot turned drug courier.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 03:03:04 PM »
Instructions: Answer each question according to the way you personally feel. Check the box if it is at least somewhat true for you; leave unchecked if it is not very true or not at all true for you.

If you are a parent trying to evaluate your child, please use the test “Is Your Child Highly Sensitive?”

I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input.
   I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
   Other people’s moods affect me.
   I tend to be very sensitive to pain.
   I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.
   I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
   I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by.
   I have a rich,complex inner life.
   I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
   I am deeply moved by the arts or music.
   My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself.
   I am conscientious.
   I startle easily.
   I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.
   When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
   I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once.
   I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.
   I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows.
   I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.
   Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood.
   Changes in my life shake me up.
   I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art.
   I find it unpleasant to have a lot going on at once.
   I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.
   I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes.
   When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise.
   When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.

It sounds like it determines if you are a whiny little *****.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »
One of the answers on the test

I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
And OMG.  I hate to say it but I must be one of these people too.  I can't deal with noise, scents, sounds, lights.....but I would never think to try to not work.  Work is not Hell.  No matter what you do you are earning your way. That is not Hell.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »
   I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine. I drink coffee from when I get up to when I go to bed.

I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by. DUmmies are overcome by the smell of pot, but sirens make them think the cops are coming for them.

I have a rich,complex inner life. DUmmies live in their own little fantasy world.

I am made uncomfortable by loud noises. Try having someone walk up behind you and hit a steel workbench with a 3 pound ball peen hammer

I am deeply moved by the arts or music.DUmmies love to trip out on drugs.

My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself. Too many drugs.

I am conscientious. Does not apply to DUmmies regarding work.

I startle easily. They hate having a boss walk up to them.

I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time. It's called having a job, deal with it.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »
Shouldn't it be Sensitive ***** Disorder?

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline dixierose

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 05:07:56 PM »
If they tried working as hard as they try to get out of work, they would all be millionaires.
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 07:22:50 PM »
If they tried working as hard as they try to get out of work, they would all be millionaires.

Only if there is a government program for that.   :rotf:

DUmmies won't take a s**t without some type of govrrnment program for it.   :rotf:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 07:32:34 PM »
They all remind me of pre-WWI Adolph Hitler. Invoke Godwin if you must but it is so true.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
Yet these are the people that insist they know what is in everyones best interest.

Amazing, isn't it?

I have a rich,complex inner life. DUmmies live in their own little fantasy world.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:  Yes, these are the people who know how the world works. :thatsright:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:37:01 PM by 98ZJUSMC »

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »
Only if there is a government program for that.   :rotf:

DUmmies won't take a s**t without some type of govrrnment program for it.   :rotf:

LIbEralS don't take a dump without a subsidy, son.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 11:30:15 PM »
Too 'sensitive' to work.

That is some sad shit, right there.

I never heard of that.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline jukin

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 06:07:41 PM »
So basically these people are "allergic" to work.

Don't work but don't expect anyone else to ffed, clothe, and house your special little snowflake ass.....OR eat a pistol.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »
That was a good book by the way.
A former US Army helo pilot turned drug courier.
I enjoyed it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.