Author Topic: I'm a black doctor. My neighbors called the cops on me for listening to Biggie.  (Read 1993 times)

Offline CC27

Demovictory9 (1,061 posts)

I'm a black doctor. My neighbors called the cops on me for listening to Biggie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/my-white-neighbors-called-the-cops-on-me-for-listening-to-hip-hop/2018/05/28/54930d04-4fbe-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html?utm_term=.90575aa93773

Knock knock.

Who could that be? I wondered. It was such an aggressive knock — definitely not friendly — that I froze. I finally stood up and walked to the door. I opened it with purpose, ready to confront the person on the other side.

He said: “Your neighbors called the police for a disturbance.”

It was 3 p.m. on a Saturday last fall.

-----------------

Then came the knocks.

On my doorstep was a man with a gun; it was a police officer. He spoke abruptly and was frightening.

“Is someone else in here?” he said. His hand was near his hip, close to the gun in its holster.

“No, I’m alone,” I blurted, startled.

“I need to see your identification.”

“Why? I live here.” I felt bullied in my own apartment.

“I have to report this incident, and I need your identification.”

Feeling helpless, I reluctantly turned and walked to get the license out of my wallet. I handed it to him. “So what happens now?” I asked, deflated.

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/100210668085

Cool story bro.  :whatever:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Oh my.

I'm pretty sure that happened.  Not.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

I doubt his neighbors knew whose music he was playing. The two plausible explanations I see as likely:

* The music was cranked up so damn loud that the neighbors would have called the police were the song, "Sing, Sing, Sing" or the "1812 Overture";

* "Biggie's" music, like much rap and hip-hop, is laden with foul language, misogyny, and violence; the music was loud enough for the words of the Gangsta Ballads to be understood, and the neighbors didn't want their children's ears and minds filled with F-Bombs and brags about what the "singer" does to his hos and wants to do with police officers.

Both is highly likely. The tell-tale that the reason the police were called was how obnoxious the guy's use of the music rather than his favored artist or style was that neighbors called. A neighbor might be racist enough to complain because (s)he hates rap-hop, whose artists are mostly black. But when multiple neighbors call it's because the dude was being obnoxious (possibly intentionally, since he's now race-baiting).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
It is from the Washington Post, so take that for what its worth.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Yea, because neighbors calling the police on loud neighbors in an apartment building has never happened before.  :whatever:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
I see no reason why her neighbors would find this song offensive, blasting out on a Saturday afternoon.

Been Around The World:
Yo yo this Mase, you know what I'm saying
You got niggas that don't like me for whatever reason
You got niggas that don't wanna see me rich
You got niggas that's mad 'cause I'm always with they bitch
Then you got niggas that just don't like me
You know the, those PHD niggas
but you know I pop a lot of shit but I back it up though see it's a difference,
a lot of niggas pop shit
But a lot of niggas don't make hits
But it's like this whole Bad Boy shit we come to bring it to y'all niggas,
Me, B.I., Puff, Lox, whoever, Black Rob
If you wanna dance, we dance

Now trick what, Lace who
That ain't what Mase do got a lot of girls that'd love to replace you
Tell you to your face boo not behind your back
Niggas talk shit, we never mind that
Funny never find that, Puff a dime stack, write hot shit
And make a nigga say, rewind that
Niggas know, we go against the Harlem Gigolo
Getcha ho, lick her low, make the bitch hit the door
I represent honeys with money fly guys with gems
Drive with the tints that be thirty-five percent
Hoes hope I lay so I look both ways
Cop says okay my tint smoke gray No way, nigga leave without handing me my shit
Got plans to get my Land and my six
Niggas outta pen'll understand this shit
Pop champagne like I won a championship

Been around the world and I I I
And we been playa hated
I don't know and I don't know why
Why they want us faded
I don't know why they hate us
Is it our ladies
Or our drop Mercedes
Baby, baby
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

Yea, because neighbors calling the police on loud neighbors in an apartment building has never happened before.  :whatever:

I can't view any WashPost articles until June 1,was it in an apartment? Apartment wall, especially pre-1980 or so are notoriously "thin". True :bouncy:, one Friday night my neighbors kept me awake with their loud music. So the next morning I used my nice powerful stereo amplifier and speakers to introduce them to the "1812 Overture". Everybody needs to appreciate classical music, right? :-)
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
I have these amplifiers... the Extremes.

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-stratos-mono.html

One for the right channel, one for the left channel.

If I want the world to hear my music, I can make that happen.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
So then, BC, it was probably a function of the volume of music, not the color of the skin of the person playing the music . . . :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline freedumb2003b

I can't view any WashPost articles until June 1,was it in an apartment? Apartment wall, especially pre-1980 or so are notoriously "thin". True :bouncy:, one Friday night my neighbors kept me awake with their loud music. So the next morning I used my nice powerful stereo amplifier and speakers to introduce them to the "1812 Overture". Everybody needs to appreciate classical music, right? :-)

LOL  Reminds me of Stereo Wars in the college dorm.  Pink Floyd's "Time" and the classic "Also Spracht Zarathustra" with the 64 foot pipe organ can set up quite the amazing demonstration of sound's effects on window glass and wall amplification.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
If a neighbor was blasting Biggie I would have called the cops too. Somethings are just plain criminal.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
LOL  Reminds me of Stereo Wars in the college dorm.  Pink Floyd's "Time" and the classic "Also Spracht Zarathustra" with the 64 foot pipe organ can set up quite the amazing demonstration of sound's effects on window glass and wall amplification.

I remember, during the April of my freshman year at college, there were a few days with stupendous thunderstorms.  One afternoon, as a front was closing in on the town, someone across the quad (over 1/4 mile away) put on Ride of the Valkyries at maximum volume.  It was rather amazing--the music was going in prefect time to the flashes of the lightning and peals of thunder.  We would sit on the metal fire escapes in aluminum lawn chairs and drink beers for the duration of the storm.  We were sure that we wouldn't get hit by the lightning, because the fools one floor above us were doing the exact same thing. :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Mary Ann

Lee-Lee is my hero. I don't know how she has lasted for more than 5500 posts without getting TSed. And I also don't know why someone with so much sense hangs around the DUmp.

Lee-Lee (5,588 posts)

18. So her entire complaint is that someone called about her loud music?

Really?

I have news for her- people call in noise complaints about loud music, loud cars, loud workers, loud kids, loud anything,

They do it all the time. On people of all races

It’s literally one of the most common complaints LE gets.

I worked as a deputy not far from Chapel Hill, and know lots of people that did and still do work there. The city is notorious for having lots of nit picky, oversensitive, will call and complain and expect the police to come out for the stupidest shit kind of residents.

Since I guess the author couldn’t be bothered to even find out what the noise law is and tell us, I looked it up for Chapel Hill:

http://studentlegalservices.web.unc.edu/legal-resources/legal-topics-index-2/noise-ordinance/

The Chapel Hill Noise Ordinance

(snip)

That’s a very restrictive ordinance, to put it mildly. 50db during the day is a very quiet standard compared to most. 40db is the background sound level of a quiet officer and 60-65db is the sound level of normal conversation at 3 feet.

It is the quietest allowable noise level I’ve seen in any NC noise ordinance, in fact. That’s an insanely low noise threshold to set for a daytime violation. Literally if you were standing on the edge of your property and talking in a normal conventional tone it would constitute a violation of your voice was over 50db just inches away off the property line.

So if her music was audible at a level not even higher than a normal conversation at any point off her property than she was, in fact, in violation of the law. Evidently she either never bothered to learn what the law allowed for in her town or she knows and didn’t care. Or she learned afterwards, but just doesn’t bother to tell readers in her story.

So, while she’s certain this was about race, there really is zero evidence it is. And knowing the reputation for how many residents of Chapel Hill are, the odds are that in fact it wasn’t at all about race. They would have called just the same for loud music of any kind, because that’s how most of them that live there that are not students are.

Not everything is about race. When you breaking the law, even a stupid one, and the cops show up it’s probablh because you were breaking the law, not because you are black or brown.

Now, is it possible racial bias played a role here? Sure. But likely? Probably not. Are there any indications that racial bias at all came into play? None are presented. So the author makes claims of racial bias in her story without any supporting evidence yet leaves out some critical details that readers need to know like the fact that she live in an area where even marginally loud music is, in fact, illegal. So she makes it a point to lead readers in the direction she wants by leaving some important details out

The story is actually more about how the city passed an impossibility restrictive noise ordinance that essentially wants people to live in their own homes almost as quiet as monks. But, that’s the kind of shit that often goes down in Chapel Hill because that’s the kind of shit the bulk of the year-road residents want so they can call the cops anytime students or anyone else gets even the least bit loud or unruly.

Not everything is racial when the cops show up. Sometimes when you move to a place with a stupidly restrictive law and busybody neighbors and you proceed to break the law the cops show up because you were breaking the law. And they are probably just as exasperated to be going on another stupid noise complaint call in the middle of the day as you are to see them.

Lee-Lee (5,588 posts)

23. Gun drawn? Where do you get that from?

Nowhere does it mention guns drawn. Are we making up new facts now?

It does say “His hand was near his hip, close to the gun in its holster.”. So his gun wasn’t drawn, and his hand wasn’t even on his gun. It was “near” it. Well that’s a totally meaningless statement, because I challenge you you stand there in a natural pose with your arms falling where they normally do and not have your right hand “near” your hip where a holster goes. Yeah, that’s kind of how human anatomy works. I bet 99% of your day if you are standing if you are not doing something with your right hands it’s going to be “near” your hip too.

But you can see how her statement there had it’s desired effect. By pointing out his hand was “near” his gun because that’s where arms go when you stand she took an innocuous thing and turned it into a misleading way to describe nothing threatening that led you to think he had a gun drawn.

See how she, by using ominous terms to describe nothing more than the officers arms in a resting position, manipulated your thoughts to think it was something far more than it was?

Lee-Lee (5,588 posts)

39. Oh and to your last part

“I would bet lots of money that most white folks would get a warning...”

Umm she did get a warning. He took a report and told her that if they got multiple complaints then a ticket would be issued.

That literally is a warning. Don’t do it again or we will have to issue a ticket is the textbook definition of a warning.

Between this and the gun drawn thing you are literally changing the entire story in your mind because you want it to be racism so badly. First you invent the gun drawn, then you say if she was white it would have been a warning when in fact what she got was a warning.

At the rate you are changing the story you will have the officer with a KKK bumper sticker on his patrol car next...

Offline SVPete

I'm with you, Mary Ann. How in the world did "Lee-Lee" not get banned years ago, especially during the Micheal Brown and Freddie Gray kerfuffles?

Offline Old n Grumpy

Demovictory9 (1,061 posts)

I'm a blackWitch doctor. My neighbors called the cops on me for listening to Biggieso loud the walls were shaking..
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are

You've provoked me.. now I HAVE to tell this story... the statute of limitations has likely expired after two decades.

My best friend since childhood moved to his first apartment at the north end of our state. It was one of those low-rent places where they convert a house into 2-3 apartments and the utilities are all included... meaning the entire house is on one breaker box in the basement.
The... um, 'teens' who rented out the upper floor were doing the same thing. thump thump rap bulls$% all hours of the night, keeping my buddy awake. He asked them multiple times to tone it down as he had to get up at like 400AM for work, but they just shrugged him off and did whatever the hell they wanted.
Now, don't ask me how it worked, but he built this Frankenstein box out of stuff from an old microwave and various other crap.. I do remember it had this HUGE capacitor on it. I'm talking like 6" round and a foot tall kind of big. He was even scared of it...
One night the debauchery started up again with the ridiculous stereo... He unplugged everything in his own apartment, plugged this thing in and turned it on. It fried almost every piece of electric equipment in the house. He didn't hear the stereo anymore after that.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
There you have it.
Even the DUmmies make believe bouncy people lie.  :rofl:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline SVPete

You've provoked me.. now I HAVE to tell this story... the statute of limitations has likely expired after two decades.

My best friend since childhood moved to his first apartment at the north end of our state. It was one of those low-rent places where they convert a house into 2-3 apartments and the utilities are all included... meaning the entire house is on one breaker box in the basement.
The... um, 'teens' who rented out the upper floor were doing the same thing. thump thump rap bulls$% all hours of the night, keeping my buddy awake. He asked them multiple times to tone it down as he had to get up at like 400AM for work, but they just shrugged him off and did whatever the hell they wanted.
Now, don't ask me how it worked, but he built this Frankenstein box out of stuff from an old microwave and various other crap.. I do remember it had this HUGE capacitor on it. I'm talking like 6" round and a foot tall kind of big. He was even scared of it...
One night the debauchery started up again with the ridiculous stereo... He unplugged everything in his own apartment, plugged this thing in and turned it on. It fried almost every piece of electric equipment in the house. He didn't hear the stereo anymore after that.

Just throwing out some ideas, the last electronic stage for a microwave is a Travelling Wave Tube. A TWT usually has 3 or 4 thousand volts on the cathode, and a capacitor with that kind of working voltage is going to be pretty large. So maybe he charged one up and used it to create a high energy power surge.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
Just throwing out some ideas, the last electronic stage for a microwave is a Travelling Wave Tube. A TWT usually has 3 or 4 thousand volts on the cathode, and a capacitor with that kind of working voltage is going to be pretty large. So maybe he charged one up and used it to create a high energy power surge.

Not sure, way over my head. But I do know it was about 75% effective in destroying everything electrical that was plugged in. Seems like if I'm remembering correctly, things like refrigerators survived, but all the electronics bit the big one.

Offline Old n Grumpy

If a neighbor was blasting Biggie I would have called the cops too. Somethings are just plain criminal.

I'd of just shot the offending ass hole, and not had to worry about being called a wippo racist who calls the po po on the poor negros.
 :tongue: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Tess Anderson

The Compost is behind a paywall for me, too, but this article was here:

https://www.ctpost.com/opinion/article/My-neigbors-called-the-cops-on-me-for-listening-12949402.php

happened last fall, supposedly.

I've lived in many cities, and I could not imagine calling the police on a neighbor for anything like this. And I'm confident that my Caucasian neighbors would not have involved the police if some of the music they heard hadn't been hip-hop.

I cannot prove that this was an act based on bias. But in studying and practicing medicine, I have developed skills in pattern recognition. They are well adapted to making a diagnosis of racism.
After that incident, I could not sleep for a few nights, because of how hurt I felt. Having a policeman approach and confront me left me feeling embarrassed, humiliated and powerless. I felt like an unwanted outsider in a community of which I thought I was a member.

Not long ago, two African-American gentlemen were arrested in a Starbucks in Philadelphia while simply waiting for a colleague; I understand how fearful and helpless they must have felt. Then there was the woman wrestled to the floor by police at a Waffle House; I can relate to her likely feelings of anger mixed with submission.

check out this doctor's twitter, she is a whiny race-baiter.

Offline I_B_Perky

I can't view any WashPost articles until June 1

Clear your cookies, local storage and cache.   If a paywall gives you x number of articles a day/week/month then that usually takes care of it.

Or do what I did... use mozilla and get the self destructing cookie add on and it will do it for you.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/?src=api
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:12:54 PM by I_B_Perky »
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
People call the police to file a noise complaint.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DLR Pyro

A D.I.Y. EMP device.  I like it...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
A D.I.Y. EMP device.  I like it...

It was more of a device that sent some sort of noise or something backfeeding into the internal wiring.... and now that I think of it, probably back out to the pole and upstream as well.  Maybe not the best idea....  but I'm guessing at this point