Author Topic: ATI Rage Pro 128  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
ATI Rage Pro 128
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »
I have this card and have attempted to install it into various machines. It's an older AGP card. With Windows XP, it installs TWO sets of drivers for some reas (it is a dual proc video card) and after the PC reboots, it BSODs on me every time. Any ideas??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: ATI Rage Pro 128
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
Almost sounds like it won't work with the XP drivers. That or the gpu is shot.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »
I have this card and have attempted to install it into various machines. It's an older AGP card. With Windows XP, it installs TWO sets of drivers for some reas (it is a dual proc video card) and after the PC reboots, it BSODs on me every time. Any ideas??

Assuming that you are installing the software from the provided disk, have you tried going to ATI's site and checking for updated drivers?  I've have ATI cards in 3 computers and have had little problem with them, other than conflicts with Window's updates now and then.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:43:01 PM »
No install disk, so I've been getting the drivers from the site. Windows will load the drivers when I first install it in any machine (legacy drivers?) Then it asks for a reboot. It works fine until I reboot the machine, then it BSODs on me. If I boot into safe mode, I find two sets of drivers installed.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:04:30 PM »
Could be a memory fault on the video card ; ergo , when it attempts to go into higher video modes modes that are deeper into the memory and usually unsupported by the windows generic drivers , it fails.

or

Could be a driver issue, I'd "flush" out all old video driver references from the registry.

There's a couple of things I'd try.

First, delete the PCI BUS from device manager and force redetection of all devices on it at next reboot.

Failing that flush video driver info from the registry.

To begin with, if you don't understand the registry, and Vendor / Device Identifiers stop right here.

First remove "backup" references to video devices in HKLM\System\ControlSetxxx\PCI

Then any of the existing ones found in HLKM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\PCI and are usually identifiable. You will need to modify the permissions to be able to remove them.

You will need to modify the permissions on the device identifier which will look somewhat similar to VEN_1022&DEV_1101&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00 and at least one subcategory below.

Then reboot.

One might combine the above, by removing the backup references to video devices from registry, then forcing redetection of the PCI BUS.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »
I'm pretty comfortable playing around in the registry. I've been doing that since W98 for sure, if not W95. I'll give that a try, LC, but I'm thinking that the card is shot. It was sent to me by a friend. He said it worked when he removed it.. ::) I'll just have to pony up some $$ for a new card.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »
I'm pretty comfortable playing around in the registry. I've been doing that since W98 for sure, if not W95. I'll give that a try, LC, but I'm thinking that the card is shot. It was sent to me by a friend. He said it worked when he removed it.. ::) I'll just have to pony up some $$ for a new card.

Here's decent card, for an AGP. Nothing fancy, but if you check out the page
there are some "better" ones in the 50-75$ range.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150107
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
I think my PC is only a 4X agp slot. It's an older motherboard. I keep it because it has RAID in it. It's an Abit KT-7A. It's been pretty good. I built this monster myself.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 01:09:04 PM »
I think my PC is only a 4X agp slot. It's an older motherboard. I keep it because it has RAID in it. It's an Abit KT-7A. It's been pretty good. I built this monster myself.

OMG. I think I used the same board at one time............................a looooong time ago. Socket A???

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »

OMG. I think I used the same board at one time............................a looooong time ago. Socket A???
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I think so. It's got an AMD 1.4 GHz Athlon processor in it. It was "da schnizit" when I built it. It's been a good reliable PC. Funny thing is that this athlon runs as good as the newer processors. I was going to overclock it, but I changed my mind.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 04:39:55 PM »
Heh, mine was a good comp, but ran hot. I think I had a 1.2 ghz in it.

4X/8X cards
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000380048%201069609639&name=AGP%204X%2f8X

Something's gotta work with that old girl....... :-)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:41:30 PM by Wineslob »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 04:51:58 PM »
Mine runs right at 100°+/- 5 degrees. Of course I have a HUGE heat sink/ fan on it

an Alpha PAL 8045