Author Topic: In which I declare appalling ignorance, and risk my man card...  (Read 10425 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: In which I declare appalling ignorance, and risk my man card...
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

grilling is STILL cooking, darlin'..... ;)  And, yes, I still get dirty handling the charcoal during prep and I don't like it!!  Then there's the whole disposal of the ashes bullshit and clean up afterwards.

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

:rofl:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
BTW  I'm a grilling snob, I only own Webers.  Charcoal, of course.   
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 04:11:54 AM »

By the time you get the charcoal even ready, I'll be almost done eating whatever I've cooked unless I'm using the rotisserie.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »
By the time you get the charcoal even ready, I'll be almost done eating whatever I've cooked unless I'm using the rotisserie.

Hell, that gives me time to pop a cork, and open up a bottle of wine too...

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
You need to get one of these:

Makes grilling so much easier.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »
:bird:

:tongue: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Whatever...........never knew a Texan to bitch about getting dirty   :fuelfire:

ETA:  :rofl: :rofl:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline JLO

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »

I'm with you - nothing compares to a Weber!  My ex stole it from me after we divorced.   :hammer:

Now, my guy does the grilling and he uses a gas grill. 

Not for me.  I don't trust gas - it's just a personal thing - from a long-since-past experience. 

Nothing better than a Weber in my book!  And I love the charcoal taste.  :yum:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 12:31:18 AM »

Whatever...........never knew a Texan to bitch about getting dirty   :fuelfire:

ETA:  :rofl: :rofl:

Well, ma'am, there's a time to get dirty and a time to stay clean. It's bad enough grilling in 100° heat and then to get dirty, too?? No thanks!! Besides, I have my share of getting dirty  with other things.......  O-)

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 10:33:55 PM »
So...when we got married three and a half years ago, friends of my wife gave us a very nice propane grill.  With no tank. 

It has taken me until today to get a tank, and I in fact got two of them.  Up next, learning how to cook stuff.

I'd like to start easy.  Hamburgers and small steaks.

I have no idea how.

Between the BS's and denigrations of my manhood, if y'all would pass along such information as cooking times and how to keep the meat from becoming suitable as brake shoes or shingles.

Thanks to all!

Alrighty then, we've had several weekends since you embarked on your quest to get in touch with your inner Neanderthal and now Labor Day is history soooooooo... How'd it all turn out???  :yum: :cheers1:

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »
Whale...

Whilst groshyshoppin with the specimen of femininity who had the horrible misjudgment to marry me, we found a small cut of beef that comes two to a package for always under $5, and most often under $4, soaked it overnight in a marinade and cooked it too rare..

So we got another pair, and this time I cooked it too well.

I've just about got the hang of it.  I have three more packs in the freezer and one in the fridge that I'm going to try once without marinade; meanwhile my precioussss is off visiting her folks through Saturday, and when she gets home will help me assemble the one complicated thing I'm good at-- a faux-Mediterranean rotini salad-- for the next day's church picnic.

I'm almost confident enough to try a more spendy cut of meat; and I'd guess burgers would be about as easy as sin at this point.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:26 PM »
Sounds good!  :cheersmate:

Grilling can be a great family get together thing, whether it's just two empty nesters having fun with each other's company or the whole clan. I love grilling. July with perfect weather or January with the wind howling it's just as good and especially in winter after all the holidays and everything that goes with them food wise I can really get into a grilled steak and the summer salads that go along with it. Goes over real well with a Sunday football or NASCAR crowd at the house while the snowdrifts are piled up outside. It's a short hop from the back door to the grill and back.

You mentioned your Fox mediterranean salad. That's a huge part of grilling/barbecuing, all those yummy summer salads that go along with it. I can grill just about anything fairly well, I know what I'm doing around the grill outdoors well enough but inside the house I am a complete kitchen retard. My wife however is a Goddess of all things culinary.

She's not here right now, doing the rare night shift, so I am risking my very soul by sneaking into her recipe box to offer up one of her mother's gems (when the cat's away...). Honestly, I am not worthy, heathen footsteps in the temple, just sticking my filthy fingers in there at all (gasp!). Her mother passed when my wife was just 11 years old in the summer of the Bicentennial and my wife has her box of recipes.

This one I like a lot with all things grilled. (sorry if it seems so abbreviated, those who know their way around a kitchen should get the gist of it).

Broccoli salad~

bunch broccoli flowerettes

10-12 strips bacon fried

chopped onion

nuts (optional)

raisins

1 c mayo

2-3 tbsp vinegar

1/4-1/2 c sugar

That's it, as her mother wrote it in the 60's or 70's. I don't understand the wizardry (and never question) I witness happening before me in the kitchen. She never uses any measuring devices, seemingly doing everything on the fly and I am simply mesmerized as her creations take form and materialize from nothing.

I am sorry I can't offer up a step by step how to of the process but it is an awesome salad. There is some night before preparedness and marinade and I don't think the broccoli tops are cooked, if that helps.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 06:41:23 AM »
Whale...

Whilst groshyshoppin with the specimen of femininity who had the horrible misjudgment to marry me, we found a small cut of beef that comes two to a package for always under $5, and most often under $4, soaked it overnight in a marinade and cooked it too rare..

So we got another pair, and this time I cooked it too well.

I've just about got the hang of it.  I have three more packs in the freezer and one in the fridge that I'm going to try once without marinade; meanwhile my precioussss is off visiting her folks through Saturday, and when she gets home will help me assemble the one complicated thing I'm good at-- a faux-Mediterranean rotini salad-- for the next day's church picnic.

I'm almost confident enough to try a more spendy cut of meat; and I'd guess burgers would be about as easy as sin at this point.

A coupla technical details, if'n y'all don't mind.....

1.  Never pierce the meat with a fork while grilling. It's a sin.
2.  Not only physicians are entitled with the means and the skills (developed over time and practice, of course) of palpation. The softer the meat, the rarer it is.
3.  There is a decided need for kitchen retards. We just don't know what to do with them yet.

:-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 08:09:45 AM »
The softer the meat, the rarer it is.

How true, how true.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »
There was a trick I learned at work for testing steaks for done-ness without piercing them with a thermometer.  It works well, especially if you have thirty steaks on the grill that all have to be cooked differently.

Roll your hand into a loose fist with the thumb tucked under the other fingers.  Let's say you are right handed... use your left hand.  With your palm facing toward you, poke the meaty part of your hand at the base of the thumb from left to right.  It's usually a good match for well-done to rare steaks.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 09:06:48 AM »
"3.  There is a decided need for kitchen retards. We just don't know what to do with them yet."

Feed us!!!   :drool:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
A coupla technical details, if'n y'all don't mind.....

1.  Never pierce the meat with a fork while grilling. It's a sin.
2.  Not only physicians are entitled with the means and the skills (developed over time and practice, of course) of palpation. The softer the meat, the rarer it is.
3.  There is a decided need for kitchen retards. We just don't know what to do with them yet.

:-)

Preach it, Brotha Eupher!!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
There was a trick I learned at work for testing steaks for done-ness without piercing them with a thermometer.  It works well, especially if you have thirty steaks on the grill that all have to be cooked differently.

Roll your hand into a loose fist with the thumb tucked under the other fingers.  Let's say you are right handed... use your left hand.  With your palm facing toward you, poke the meaty part of your hand at the base of the thumb from left to right.  It's usually a good match for well-done to rare steaks.

http://barbecuetricks.com/steak-done-an-ok-handy-method/
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »
Yeah, that's it.

It's been a while.  Some of those brain cells have taken a permanent vacation since then.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »
I started watching a show on the Create Channel late at night. 

http://www.bbqu.net/

That guy is a grilling fool.  I mean that in the best way.  He cooks on everything.  Now I'm hooked.

For years we used a gas grill.  Nice for steaks and chicken quarters, kabobs, corn on the cob.  I prefer a smoker for whole/half chickens, roasts, loins, turkey. For burgers and sausage I like a grill.  The taste is what makes your barbeque but if you have a sensitive stomach, the gas grill is better, more of a clean cook. I personally like oak and charcoal taste.

Someone just built my husband a pit.  We haven't used it yet, it's been too hot.  He's just about ready to fire it up.  One good thing about starting the learning process, you can eat your mistakes unless you burn the hell out of them.   :-)  That's not a bad deal at all.

Good luck.