Author Topic: Trip - You and Yellowstone  (Read 60304 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Trip - You and Yellowstone
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
Trip, did you know there were two earthquakes in Yellowstone this weekend?  A 3.5 and a 4.2?

Was there?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »
Was there?

According to the Earthquake app on the ipad.  I didn't see anything on the USGS site, which is a bit disturbing.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2011, 11:42:07 PM »
According to the Earthquake app on the ipad.  I didn't see anything on the USGS site, which is a bit disturbing.

They were on the USGS earlier this weekend, but they were taken down for some reason.  I DID see them though.  I swear.

If Yellowstone was to erupt, it would be biggest disaster since Toba. When does Yellowston erupt? It could be tomorrow or 10 millions years from now.

Thanks Captain Obvious.  ;)
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2011, 05:38:27 AM »
According to the Earthquake app on the ipad.  I didn't see anything on the USGS site, which is a bit disturbing.

There have been registers of a whole bunch of quakes, most very shallow and smaller, with their epicenter in or around Yellowstone this weekend.. and the vast majority of them are just disappearing from the database. Some people are following them on Hannity.

I'm not painting any sort of conspiracy here, but it sure looks like a lot more than normal are disappearing.

Offline dandi

« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
There have been registers of a whole bunch of quakes, most very shallow and smaller, with their epicenter in or around Yellowstone this weekend.. and the vast majority of them are just disappearing from the database. Some people are following them on Hannity.

I'm not painting any sort of conspiracy here, but it sure looks like a lot more than normal are disappearing.

Would you like for me to give you the lat/long, date and time?  It would have to be later this evening.

• Oh snap!
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
Hey Trip, Mount St. Helen had a 4.3 earthquake about an hour ago.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/uw02141835.php

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
Hey Trip, Mount St. Helen had a 4.3 earthquake about an hour ago.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/uw02141835.php

Good eye, EC!  You beat me to the 'punch' here.

I actually got a phone call from a friend living in the Northwest just a bit ago, to inform me of this, and I did a screen shot of that data.

Curiously an unusual amount of quake activity at Mt St Helens, and also a minor quake at Mt Hood.

Screen Shot of the above data

• Oh snap!
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »

Good eye, EC!  You beat me to the 'punch' here.

I actually got a phone call from a friend living in the Northwest just a bit ago, to inform me of this, and I did a screen shot of that data.

Curiously an unusual amount of quake activity at Mt St Helens, and also a minor quake at Mt Hood.

Screen Shot of the above data

It was interesting to say the least.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »
Would you like for me to give you the lat/long, date and time?  It would have to be later this evening.

Unless we've got more than just quakes being dropped, as in a disproportionately high number in YS, then there's likely a reasonable 'cause' for USGS doing so.

I'm not to the point of trying to prove any of that, and not even sure anything could be proved.

Offline dandi

« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »
Unless we've got more than just quakes being dropped, as in a disproportionately high number in YS, then there's likely a reasonable 'cause' for USGS doing so.

I'm not to the point of trying to prove any of that, and not even sure anything could be proved.

No sweat, just figured I would offer.

:-)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2011, 11:04:07 PM »
The significance then of all these sudden quakes? and can the San Andreas Fault start rumbling?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

• Oh snap!
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »
The significance then of all these sudden quakes? and can the San Andreas Fault start rumbling?

The San Andreas fault is always rumbling, even with those little 1.5 magnitude earthquakes that nobody feels.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »

Is Germany's Super-Volcano Awakening???

Story:  Extinction Protocol

Germany's Laacker See volcano erupted 12,900 years ago, at the onset of the Younger Dryas reglaciation period.

The eruption lasted two or three days, spewed forth some 16 cubic kilometers of tephra and 6 cubic kilometers of magma, in that brief time period, at which time the caldera collapsed

These tephra deposits from the eruption dammed the Rhine, creating a 140 km2 (50 sq mi) lake. When that dam broke, an outburst flood swept downstream, leaving deposits as far away as Bonn. The collapsed caldera is a lake today.

VOLCANIC EXPLOSIVITY INDEX (VEI)

The Laacker See eruption is recognized on the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) as a 6. (larger than the 1991 Mt Pinatubo eruption that was also a 6)

The Volcanic Explosive Index scale is logarithmic, with each interval on the scale above 1 representing a tenfold increase in observed eruption criteria. The scale is open-ended - as in having no top index number (not limited to 8).

Mount St. Helens (1980) was a 5

Yellowstone (Mesa Falls eruption), 1.3 Mya, was a 7 (VEI), 100 times Mount St Helens.

Yellowstone (Huckleberry Ridge eruption), 2.2 Mya was an 8 (VEI), at least 1000 times Mount St Helens.

Yellowstone (Lava Creek eruption) 640,000 ya, was also an 8 (VEI).

The last Yellowstone eruption was the explosive equivalent of 1 Million Hiroshima atomic bombs.

For Physical Perspective: the Laacker See Lake, occupying the majority of that volcano's caldera, is about the same scale of just ONE of the orange 5-pointed stars seen at the north end of Lake Yellowstone, on this map.

Another interesting note: that 1959 Hebgen Lake quake of 7.5, marked on the above map, outside the park, outside of Wyoming, to the west in Utah, is a major reason for geologists finally recognizing that Yellowstone was even a volcano!

Photos of 1959 Yellowstone Quake:  http://www.seis.utah.edu/lqthreat/nehrp_htm/1959hebg/c1959he1.shtml

Here's the Gooogle Map of "Earthquake Lake" instantly formed from that 1959 quake, at the north-west end of Hebgen Lake, downstream from Hebgen Lake dam.

The landslide is rather obvious.

This whole area west of Yellowstone, outside Oklahoma, in Montana and northern Idaho, represents the area where the Yellowstone plume is expanding, and has evidently been doing so as far back as 1959.

Offline dandi

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
I was in the PI shortly after Pinatubo erupted, did the evacuation of AF dependents to Cebu City.  Olongapo and the base were unrecognizable.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2011, 10:13:19 AM »
I was in the PI shortly after Pinatubo erupted, did the evacuation of AF dependents to Cebu City.  Olongapo and the base were unrecognizable.

The only eruption I can lay claim to being around was Hawaii, a VEI of "O". 

That tends to limit my bragging rights, but i can live with that.  :lmao:

Offline dandi

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
The only eruption I can lay claim to being around was Hawaii, a VEI of "O". 

That tends to limit my bragging rights, but i can live with that.  :lmao:

Eh, it's all good.  I wasn't around for the first eruption and don't know if I would have wanted to considering how much damage it did. 

We waited well out to sea for it to be (for the most part) over until we went in.  It was kind of interesting to see another minor eruption after we got back from Cebu City.  I have pictures somewhere at the house...

The biggest thing I remember was the smell.  It smelled very metallic, like iron left in the summer sun.  There was about 8 inches or so of volcanic ash all over everything and there was a haze in the air.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
Eh, it's all good.  I wasn't around for the first eruption and don't know if I would have wanted to considering how much damage it did. 

We waited well out to sea for it to be (for the most part) over until we went in.  It was kind of interesting to see another minor eruption after we got back from Cebu City.  I have pictures somewhere at the house...

The biggest thing I remember was the smell.  It smelled very metallic, like iron left in the summer sun.  There was about 8 inches or so of volcanic ash all over everything and there was a haze in the air.

Did they keep you in respirators or masks? that ash is nasty stuff.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:37:43 AM by Trip »

Offline dandi

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2011, 11:54:41 AM »
Did they keep you in respirators or masks? that ash is nasty stuff.

No, they did not.  By the time we arrived inport, the volcano had subsided and a typhoon had blown through.  The whole time we were there, the ash that was on the ground was wet.  I am assuming that is the reason we weren't given any type of mask; although I did wonder why we were running around with no respiratory gear.

The haze wasn't very thick, but it was noticeable.

ETA:  Found a link to the ship's cruisebook.  There are some pictures (one in particular of the later eruption that I was talking about) of the base, town, and evacuation.

http://navysite.de/cruisebooks/lsd45-91/index_014.htm
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:00:44 PM by wasp69 »

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2011, 05:18:07 PM »
No, they did not.  By the time we arrived inport, the volcano had subsided and a typhoon had blown through.  The whole time we were there, the ash that was on the ground was wet.  I am assuming that is the reason we weren't given any type of mask; although I did wonder why we were running around with no respiratory gear.

ETA:  Found a link to the ship's cruisebook.  There are some pictures (one in particular of the later eruption that I was talking about) of the base, town, and evacuation.

Those are some good pics.

I'm guessing the food rituals (pies) are to appease the volcano Gods.

Offline dandi

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2011, 09:35:32 PM »
Those are some good pics.

I'm guessing the food rituals (pies) are to appease the volcano Gods.

:lmao:

Not quite, but it may have helped!

That was a fund raiser for the Navy/Marine Corp Relief Society.  I'm in one of those pictures but modesty forbids me from saying which one.

Offline Trip

• Spectemur Agendo
  • Banned
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2011, 12:33:25 PM »
So, the Government has really no measures in place to counteract a possible catastrophic natural event if it were to ever take place? there's no way to contain something like a volcanic eruption?

Since you asked this question early on, I'm responding to you again. Originally I guess I hadn't put a lot of thought into it, but now I think there "may be a way" and I'm even concerned the government may be considering and even pursuing that "way".

(I apologize in advance to this forum and its members for referencing another site, but reproducing the discussion here would be difficult.)

References:

Note below, Image "A" discussion, specifically narrator's comment, "They research ways to relieve the super volcano's pressure, without triggering a catastrophic eruption".
http://forums.hannity.com/showthread.php?p=86874261#post86874261

Reference to calling home all diplomatic representatives from around the world, February 2, 2011, perhaps to prep them with necessary geologic education to back-up their foreign PR negotations:
http://forums.hannity.com/showthread.php?p=86874971#post86874971

Offline Geb

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
Scary

Offline dandi

« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2011, 09:02:26 AM »
Trip, anything new?

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2011, 06:42:37 AM »

Is that the Prairie in the background of the second picture?
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »
Trip, anything new?

Any day now...... it's happening.     :yawn: