Author Topic: I need to find a new college football team to root for.  (Read 11874 times)

Offline soleil

I need to find a new college football team to root for.
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
1) My team has decided to change its damn mascot from a Colonel/Rebel to a damned Brown Bear. Yeah, we have a pretty low population for brown bears here. I've heard like 60. 60 freaking brown bears in MS. We've been the Rebels FOREVER. (Ole Miss in case you're wondering)

2)They are pretty much sucking BIG TIME.

Of course I will remain loyal to the REBELS (I refuse to call them the damn Bears), but I have to vent.

Thanks.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: I need to find a new college football team to root for.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »
crap.  and I was sorta liking you.  but you are a rebel fan? :thatsright:

there are 1000 guys that would kick my a$$ just for talking to you. :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »
 :lmao: Brown Bears?  :lmao:  Guess Black Bears was politically incorrect? :thatsright:

Ole Miss not Rebels anymore? That's just wrong!

Side note....Alabama has just kicked our ass tonight...I think they have their 4th or 5th string in at this point.  :bawl:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline soleil

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
:lmao: Brown Bears?  :lmao:  Guess Black Bears was politically incorrect? :thatsright:

Ole Miss not Rebels anymore? That's just wrong!

Side note....Alabama has just kicked our ass tonight...I think they have their 4th or 5th string in at this point.  :bawl:

No, I am just an idiot. Black bears was what I meant. DUMB DUMB DUMB me!!

And no, we are officially not the Rebels anymore.  :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

Offline soleil

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »
crap.  and I was sorta liking you.  but you are a rebel fan? :thatsright:

there are 1000 guys that would kick my a$$ just for talking to you. :-)

Oh yeah, and my rabid MSU Bulldog uncle fan is here tonight and his team did well.

Are you an LSU fan?????

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:19:27 PM »
Oh yeah, and my rabid MSU Bulldog uncle fan is here tonight and his team did well.

Are you an LSU fan?????

oh, my God.  someone help this poor girl. :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:21:31 PM »

I think he's a So Carolina fan.

I didn't like Spurrier at Florida and I don't like him any better at So Carolina.  Nothing is better than watching him rip off his visor and throw it on the ground!  :evillaugh:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline soleil

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »

Heehee!! Well, I was thinking outside of MSU, LSU is our biggest rival.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »
I graduated from southern miss.  it's that little school that big fish like to ignore.  ole miss is too cowardly to play us in football.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »

you need to broaden your horizons, babes.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »

I think he's a So Carolina fan.

I didn't like Spurrier at Florida and I don't like him any better at So Carolina.  Nothing is better than watching him rip off his visor and throw it on the ground!  :evillaugh:

does no one look at sigs these days?  jeez.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:14 PM »
does no one look at sigs these days?  jeez.

:thatsright:

that would have been way to easy...

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »

count your blessings.  your mascot was almost a star wars critter.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »
It doesn't work, looking for a different college football team, madam.

I was born and raised during the glory days of the Nebraska Cornhuskers; when the smallest state in the union with a major college football program (it's changed now, with Idaho being in here) made the giants of California, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Iowa, Washington, Kansas, Missouri, &c., &c., &c. (it's not hard to be a giant when compared with little Nebraska), quiver in their boots and lose the contents of their intestines in their pants.

But that all ended when Steve Pedersen became athletic director at the University of Nebraska, and decided Nebraska should stop being Nebraska, and be like everybody else instead.

Being like Southern California, like Ohio State, like Florida, like Texas, was hip, cool, and trendy; being the way Nebraska had always been was boring and old hat.

After which the glory, the tradition, the record of 115 years of college football went down the drain.

As we all know, Nebraska flopped, and flopped abysmally, when Nebraska became like everybody else.

Well, the wrong was sort of (please notice the "sort of") ameliorated when both Steve Pedersen and the coach Bill O'Callahan (or whatever his name was) were fired, but hey, it's going to take another 115 years to get back to where we were before.

I'm not only a Nebraska Cornhusker football fan, but also a graduate of the University of Nebraska.

I'm however considerably less of a fan than I used to be; Nebraska losing a game doesn't bother me.....much.

We're on the road back, but it's a very long road, a hundred years or more, and I won't live to see it, so I'm not as "into" it as I used to be.

For a while, I thought I could transfer my loyalties--for example, I'm a big fan of Ohio State--but such isn't possible.  One can't change his past, reneging on the land and the people that gave one life.

It's a bitch.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »
No, I am just an idiot. Black bears was what I meant. DUMB DUMB DUMB me!!

And no, we are officially not the Rebels anymore.  :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

Change from the Rebels to the Black Bears, because we are worried about racism?  W.T.F.   :thatsright:

(Mom graduated from Ole Miss)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
I graduated from southern miss.  it's that little school that big fish like to ignore.  ole miss is too cowardly to play us in football.

I saw your sig line.  Hattiesburg!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 09:54:17 PM »
Change from the Rebels to the Black Bears, because we are worried about racism?  W.T.F.   :thatsright:

dad graduated from MS state.  mom graduated from what they used to call MSCW, now known as MUW.

we are a pretty mississippi oriented family, :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 09:55:44 PM »
I saw your sig line.  Hattiesburg!

anyone.  anywhere.  anytime.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »
dad graduated from MS state.  mom graduated from what they used to call MSCW, now known as MUW.

we are a pretty mississippi oriented family, :-)

That's pretty cool.  Mom grew up in Gulfport.  I pretty much grew up there too.  Went to camp up in Wiggins alot. 

Offline soleil

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
does no one look at sigs these days?  jeez.

Duh!!! Well, we can't even play you. I would love for Southern to be able to play State and Ole Miss. I really would. I like Southern. And I like Hattiesburg in general.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »
Duh!!! Well, we can't even play you. I would love for Southern to be able to play State and Ole Miss. I really would. I like Southern. And I like Hattiesburg in general.

there is a months worth of threads here and a CU as to why I don't want to play you cowards.

if we played you sorry forkers, we couldn't play nebraska, or cal, or texas, or ok state, or kansas.

Offline soleil

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

It's now Hotty Teddy!  :-) No really, I get the racial connotation I suppose. But we already got rid of the rebel flag, and I have no problem with that. The name Rebels may have once meant something else. Today it is just who they are. Many black people are proud rebels.

I guess next "Ole Miss" will be gone. It means Old Mississippi. I wonder when that's coming.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »
It doesn't work, looking for a different college football team, madam.

I was born and raised during the glory days of the Nebraska Cornhuskers; when the smallest state in the union with a major college football program (it's changed now, with Idaho being in here) made the giants of California, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Iowa, Washington, Kansas, Missouri, &c., &c., &c. (it's not hard to be a giant when compared with little Nebraska), quiver in their boots and lose the contents of their intestines in their pants.

But that all ended when Steve Pedersen became athletic director at the University of Nebraska, and decided Nebraska should stop being Nebraska, and be like everybody else instead.

Being like Southern California, like Ohio State, like Florida, like Texas, was hip, cool, and trendy; being the way Nebraska had always been was boring and old hat.

After which the glory, the tradition, the record of 115 years of college football went down the drain.

As we all know, Nebraska flopped, and flopped abysmally, when Nebraska became like everybody else.

Well, the wrong was sort of (please notice the "sort of") ameliorated when both Steve Pedersen and the coach Bill O'Callahan (or whatever his name was) were fired, but hey, it's going to take another 115 years to get back to where we were before.

I'm not only a Nebraska Cornhusker football fan, but also a graduate of the University of Nebraska.

I'm however considerably less of a fan than I used to be; Nebraska losing a game doesn't bother me.....much.

We're on the road back, but it's a very long road, a hundred years or more, and I won't live to see it, so I'm not as "into" it as I used to be.

For a while, I thought I could transfer my loyalties--for example, I'm a big fan of Ohio State--but such isn't possible.  One can't change his past, reneging on the land and the people that gave one life.

It's a bitch.

every post from frank has a hidden grenade in it.  I have learned to look for it. :-)

Offline soleil

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:20 PM »
there is a months worth of threads here and a CU as to why I don't want to play you cowards.

if we played you sorry forkers, we couldn't play nebraska, or cal, or texas, or ok state, or kansas.

I can see both the negatives and positives of us playing one another. I would like all 3 of MS's big universities to be able to play one another though.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »
I can see both the negatives and positives of us playing one another. I would like all 3 of MS's big universities to be able to play one another though.

but ole miss, or more correctly, the college board, is composed of cowards.  they have stripped southern miss of  . . . . .

crap.  ya know, dear.  you didn't do this.  I am glad that another mississippi gal is on the board. :-*