Author Topic: I need to find a new college football team to root for.  (Read 12217 times)

Offline soleil

Re: I need to find a new college football team to root for.
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 10:39:05 PM »
but ole miss, or more correctly, the college board, is composed of cowards.  they have stripped southern miss of  . . . . .

crap.  ya know, dear.  you didn't do this.  I am glad that another mississippi gal is on the board. :-*

I am glad to know another MS person too!!!  :cheersmate:

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
I am glad to know another MS person too!!!  :cheersmate:

what part of mississippi?

Offline soleil

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »
what part of mississippi?

I grew up in Greenville. It is in the delta. Right now I am in mid-MS! Around Jackson, but not in.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 11:06:52 PM »
I grew up in Greenville. It is in the delta. Right now I am in mid-MS! Around Jackson, but not in.

my family is from jones county. 

Offline soleil

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »
my family is from jones county. 

I've been doing some work in Ellisville here lately. I like Laurel.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 11:27:33 PM »
Could be worse--you could be an Iowa fan.  Hell, half the shop here is on suicide watch tonight, and it's not because we're now in the outage.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 11:40:27 PM »
I've been doing some work in Ellisville here lately. I like Laurel.

we live off of hiway 84.  laurel is 17 miles away.  collins is 8 miles away.

when my dad retired, he RETIRED.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »
Could be worse--you could be an Iowa fan.  Hell, half the shop here is on suicide watch tonight, and it's not because we're now in the outage.

college football.  is there any more reason to go insane and clobber our friends about?

Offline soleil

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 11:47:37 PM »
we live off of hiway 84.  laurel is 17 miles away.  collins is 8 miles away.

when my dad retired, he RETIRED.

I've worked in Collins a lot. I do title research for oil & gas purposes, so I visit several courthouses in the southern part of the state. I think I've been to almost all the counties.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:20 AM »
every post from frank has a hidden grenade in it.  I have learned to look for it. :-)

Thanks for the compliment, sir, because that's exactly what I do in the DUmpster, so as to get to the lurking primitives.

But in other forums here, if there's a "grenade," it's a dud.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 12:46:53 AM »
Thanks for the compliment, sir, because that's exactly what I do in the DUmpster, so as to get to the lurking primitives.

But in other forums here, if there's a "grenade," it's a dud.

I am very proud that you read my insignificant words, sir. you don't get out of the DUmpster very often.  please know that I admire your work, even if I don't get over there and say it very often.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2010, 12:58:53 AM »
I am very proud that you read my insignificant words, sir. you don't get out of the DUmpster very often.  please know that I admire your work, even if I don't get over there and say it very often.

Oh now, but I've told you many times how much I appreciate your leadership, and why.

I'm still trying to find the "hidden grenade" here; I suspect it's my admiration for the Ohio State Buckeyes, who've never seemed very popular on any message-board where I've posted.

I dunno why; Ohio State's always had one of the premier, if not the premier, college football programs in the o****ry.

The shining example was a game in, I think, 1978--I was still young--in which Ohio State was playing one of these media-favored cool hip trendy teams from California (I think it was UCLA).  In the last minute of that game, Ohio State was behind, and getting the ball, they were on, like, their own 1-yard line.  No time-outs left, the clock running down.  Art Schleiter, the quarterback, desperately threw long passes, all of which incredibly connected, and Ohio State won that game.

Watching that, I thought Art Schleiter had to be the very best college football player of All Time, but alas soon thereafter he got primitival in his conduct, and slid downhill really quickly. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »
Oh now, but I've told you many times how much I appreciate your leadership, and why.

I'm still trying to find the "hidden grenade" here; I suspect it's my admiration for the Ohio State Buckeyes, who've never seemed very popular on any message-board where I've posted.

I dunno why; Ohio State's always had one of the premier, if not the premier, college football programs in the o****ry.

The shining example was a game in, I think, 1978--I was still young--in which Ohio State was playing one of these media-favored cool hip trendy teams from California (I think it was UCLA).  In the last minute of that game, Ohio State was behind, and getting the ball, they were on, like, their own 1-yard line.  No time-outs left, the clock running down.  Art Schleiter, the quarterback, desperately threw long passes, all of which incredibly connected, and Ohio State won that game.

Watching that, I thought Art Schleiter had to be the very best college football player of All Time, but alas soon thereafter he got primitival in his conduct, and slid downhill really quickly. 

BOOM.  it was ohio state. 

your college football threads are always articulate and well thought out.  I just wish you would do more of them.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 04:09:31 AM »
1) My team has decided to change its damn mascot from a Colonel/Rebel to a damned Brown Bear. Yeah, we have a pretty low population for brown bears here. I've heard like 60. 60 freaking brown bears in MS. We've been the Rebels FOREVER. (Ole Miss in case you're wondering)

2)They are pretty much sucking BIG TIME.

Of course I will remain loyal to the REBELS (I refuse to call them the damn Bears), but I have to vent.

Thanks.

"On Wisconsin" and "Go Bucky" is all I really have to say, soleil. :-)

I'm still trying to find the "hidden grenade" here; I suspect it's my admiration for the Ohio State Buckeyes, who've never seemed very popular on any message-board where I've posted

Although, I do love THE OSU. Many relatives come from there, and I have lived there a while back, so I am also a Buckeye guy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:16:27 AM by Revolution »

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 04:28:50 AM »
It must be a bad time to be a Texas fan, this last year of the Big 12 Conference.

It blows me away, that Iowa State, of all people, beat Texas.

Oklahoma losing to Missouri was a surprise too, but not as big a surprise.

Next week, Missouri plays at Nebraska, after which the book is alas closed.  While the Nebraska-Kansas rivalry is the second- or third-longest uninterrupted rivalry (that also shuts down after this season) in the country, Nebraska's played Missouri more times than we've played anybody else.

The Nebraska-Missouri game has always been a rough one, in which Nebraska players have frequently gotten seriously injured, and not unintentionally.  I think it's because way back in the old days, the behemoth of the south was irritated at always getting beaten by the little flea from the north. 

I've always found Missouri fans to be "different."  The state of Missouri has all sorts of sports teams, and so unlike Nebraska, not everybody in that state pays attention to the University of Missouri.  Missouri fans definitely aren't like regular routine ordinary Missourians; a distinct class apart.

When in college, three friends and I used to "road-trip" to one non-Nebraska Big Eight game every year; in 1984, it was to Missouri, to watch them play Oklahoma.  (Oklahoma was supposed to pound them to pieces, but Missouri won, probably for the first time in decades, 10-0.)

Hours before the game, in a small town west of Columbus, we stopped at a roadside diner for breakfast, during which time I announced to the waitress, "We're here to see the game today."

She moved the chewing-gum inside her mouth, and putting the pencil back behind her ear, nonchalantly asked, "What game is that?"

That blew me away--".....what game?"
apres moi, le deluge

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »
My school went the PC route in '95; they were the Miami of Ohio Redskins -- now the "Red Hawks", whatever that is!  They still have Chief Miami as a mascot though, for the Miami Indian tribe whose land the university bought back in 1809.

My husband and I had MU Redskins sweatshirts made up by one of his clients who has a silkscreening/printing business and we wear them when MU comes to Philly to play the Temple Owls, who joined the MAC conference a few years ago.  We always get compliments and "where can I get one of those?" questions from other alumni. 
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 09:12:36 AM »
Next week, Missouri plays at Nebraska.

Shuck 'em!
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
I agree, getting rid of Colonel Reb was an awful idea.  I don't even see the point of having done that.  No way in the world it could be offensive.  The bear is even worse.  Of course if it were up to me, they'd still wave the rebel flag in the stands, though to some degree I can see why they did away with it, but it was still dumb to bow to the pressure.

Hey, I know how you feel though.  At Miss State, the SEC had it where they couldn't bring their cowbells to the game, and that had been a longstanding tradition.  The alumni association now just pays the fine and the fans bring the bells to the games, but it's silly what they're doing.  They're killing the fun of being in the stands at the game.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline soleil

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »
I agree, getting rid of Colonel Reb was an awful idea.  I don't even see the point of having done that.  No way in the world it could be offensive.  The bear is even worse.  Of course if it were up to me, they'd still wave the rebel flag in the stands, though to some degree I can see why they did away with it, but it was still dumb to bow to the pressure.

Hey, I know how you feel though.  At Miss State, the SEC had it where they couldn't bring their cowbells to the game, and that had been a longstanding tradition.  The alumni association now just pays the fine and the fans bring the bells to the games, but it's silly what they're doing.  They're killing the fun of being in the stands at the game.

I heard the cowbells are out again. They were regulated, right? But I heard they are goners again! Stupid.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »

The SEC is over-regulating the games...they are taking the fan "fun" out of the games.  :(
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BowTied

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2010, 11:58:08 AM »
Used to be a Notre Dame fan back when they were a Catholic school. From what I've seen, they don't quite qualify as Catholic any more. My alma mater, the University of South Florida, got a team since I graduated. Consider rooting for them!

Offline soleil

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »
Used to be a Notre Dame fan back when they were a Catholic school. From what I've seen, they don't quite qualify as Catholic any more. My alma mater, the University of South Florida, got a team since I graduated. Consider rooting for them!

I won't really change my team. I've grown up being a fan. Still, it ticks me off.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »
I heard the cowbells are out again. They were regulated, right? But I heard they are goners again! Stupid.

As far as I know they're not out for home games.  The MSU alumni asked the SEC a couple of years ago what the fine was for permitting cowbells into the game, they were told, and the alumni association said they'd pay it for every home game if they would let the fans bring in the cowbells.  Unless you've heard something different, I think that's still the case.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
My alma mater, the University of South Florida, got a team since I graduated.

Go Bulls!

I'm originally from Tampa.

Offline soleil

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »
As far as I know they're not out for home games.  The MSU alumni asked the SEC a couple of years ago what the fine was for permitting cowbells into the game, they were told, and the alumni association said they'd pay it for every home game if they would let the fans bring in the cowbells.  Unless you've heard something different, I think that's still the case.

It looks like it will be under review again.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20101026/NEWS/10260355/SEC+may+silence+MSU+fans++cowbells