Author Topic: bitter old Vermontese cali primitive says Ruth has to go  (Read 442 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
bitter old Vermontese cali primitive says Ruth has to go
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022589013

Oh my.

cali (78,237 posts)      Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:20 AM

Ruth Bader Ginsburg must go

It’s time for Ruth Bader Ginsburg to step down.

Retiring and giving up her final years on the nation’s high court is a lot to ask from Ginsburg, who has been a liberal hero for many years. But just as she was a liberal hero before serving on the Supreme Court, she can be a liberal hero again by leaving it.

This is all pretty straightforward. Ginsburg is 80. Her health is apparently fine now, although she’s a two-time cancer survivor. There’s every possibility she could not only continue in office beyond the Barack Obama presidency but that she could survive even eight years of a Republican in office after that, if that’s what’s in the cards.

<snip>

Moreover, the simple fact is that most Republicans will support a filibuster against any Supreme Court nominee. Right now, the 55 Democrats (including two independents who caucus with the Democrats) may be enough, combined with a handful of Republicans who are moderate enough or simply oppose knee-jerk filibusters, to get a nominee confirmed.

<snip>

Moreover, the simple fact is that most Republicans will support a filibuster against any Supreme Court nominee. Right now, the 55 Democrats (including two independents who caucus with the Democrats) may be enough, combined with a handful of Republicans who are moderate enough or simply oppose knee-jerk filibusters, to get a nominee confirmed.

<snip>

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/30/ruth_bader_ginsburg_must_go/

RedstDem (682 posts)   Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:26 AM

1. all the liberal members need to step down and be replaced with 50 year olds, like the conservatives did during the bush years.

not that renquist "stepped down", but the others did

the new justices should make Ginsburg look republican too....

onenote (21,738 posts)    Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:33 AM

3. Didn't realize there was such a long list of conservatives that left the court during the bush years

I count one: Sandra Day O'Connor (as you mention, Rehnquist didn't step down, he died).

David__77 (13,989 posts)    Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:29 AM

2. Her, and Breyer.

stevenleser (12,611 posts)    Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:36 AM

4. I understand why you say that, but it is a dangerous game. We just lost the battle for an appeals court nominee, Caitlin Halligan. Someone who I knew and would have been a great judge.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/22/politics/court-nominee-withdraws

We couldn't get her confirmed and so I am not sure in the current climate we can get another Ginsburg through confirmation.

Chipper Chat (5,754 posts)    Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:45 AM

5. Obama could nominate The Virgin Mary for the Court and republicans would filibuster her.

stevenleser (12,611 posts)    Sat Mar 30, 2013, 12:07 PM

6. I agree. Trying to get Ginsburg to step down in this climate strikes me as dangerous.

cali (78,237 posts)    Sat Mar 30, 2013, 12:09 PM

7. but as the article accurately points out, the odds are strong that the climate will only worsen significantly in the coming 3 years.

Nye Bevan (10,172 posts)    Sat Mar 30, 2013, 12:22 PM

8. Shame on anyone who would bully an 80-year old woman into giving up a job she loves for political reasons. And this whole thinking is a little too simplistic. Does nobody remember David Souter, appointed by George HW Bush?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
Re: bitter old Vermontese cali primitive says Ruth has to go
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:01:28 PM »
DU death panel.  Give Ruth a pill & move on.  It's for the good of the State.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »
None of them better ever try and convince me that liberalism is not their god.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »
DU death panel.  Give Ruth a pill & move on.  It's for the good of the State.

You know, Ruth is an especially sad case.

I've read a lot of the stuff she's written, especially about growing up female and Jewish in a big crowded congested corrupt blue city.

Why she gave up a career as a first-rate, top-notch writer, to become a third-rate, mediocre, Supreme Court justice escapes me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »
If Obama were to nominate the Virgin Mary, liberals would have a snit fit.  She chose life.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »
the simple fact is that most Republicans will support a filibuster against any Supreme Court nominee.

Yeah but they will confirm 2 days later so quit yer bitchin.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »
You know, Ruth is an especially sad case.

I've read a lot of the stuff she's written, especially about growing up female and Jewish in a big crowded congested corrupt blue city.

Why she gave up a career as a first-rate, top-notch writer, to become a third-rate, mediocre, Supreme Court justice escapes me.

Perks of the job Frank.  She no longer has to prove her worth every 18 months to her public, her worth is set in stone and history.   

I know of few that ever heard of her until she became a Justice.   Be darned if her writing was jumping off the tables at book stores or into the interested public.     

Face it, we know more about her now then we do our local Judges and who they are beholden to.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
new justices should make Ginsburg look republican too....
Why Ruth won't step down.
As liberal as she is, even she understands the danger in that.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”