Author Topic: DUmmies Discuss Ancient grasswipes  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Dori

Re: DUmmies Discuss Ancient grasswipes
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
I don't know if my family ever ruled a country, but I do know they helped Fidel take over one. Great Grandfather was a communist. Not our proudest moment in my family.

I have a communist in my family too.  I'm related to Obama.... :bawl:
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »
Never been that interested in the genealogy thing, mostly something my Mom and sisters were into.  Dad used to joke about 'Descended from the kings of ancient Ireland...of course in ancient Ireland, anyone who could kick the ass of the other guys in the county was a king."  I do know that on both sides most of them were people that wanted to be left alone and if anyone threatened them or theirs, they were some merciless, deadly mofos.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
I'm descended from common farmers who left Germany because they weren't the firstborn sons in their families and thus didn't have much of a shot at the good life.  They came to the United States for a fresh start where you used to be able to live free and be the king of your own castle.  I have no knowledge of any of my ancestors being royalty or instrumental in any pivotal historical event.  I'm just glad that they were smart enough to get the hell out of the shithole that is Europe.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
Never been that interested in the genealogy thing, mostly something my Mom and sisters were into.  Dad used to joke about 'Descended from the kings of ancient Ireland...of course in ancient Ireland, anyone who could kick the ass of the other guys in the county was a king."  I do know that on both sides most of them were people that wanted to be left alone and if anyone threatened them or theirs, they were some merciless, deadly mofos.

I have pretty comprehensive data on the famiy background, started in the 5th grade and carried on for some years, until I got interested in other things.

A few years ago, I hired a Mormon to research the famly, because I had some gaps.  I no longer have gaps.  I strongly suggest if someone wants their family researched, hire a Mormon, any Mormon.  They know how to do this stuff.

There's good and bad in the family, just as there is in any family, including the primitives' families.

<<<among the bad, descended from Vlad the Impaler.

Whoop-whoop-de-do.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »
I'd like to see one of these genealogical DUmpmonkeys run into a dead end at "Adam".

The explanation would be interesting.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2013, 09:15:24 PM »
I'd like to see one of these genealogical DUmpmonkeys run into a dead end at "Adam".

That's making me rethink Creationism.  It would mean we are related to DUmmies.

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 05:19:31 AM »
Ooh!  Another historian.  Wonder if this one is a 'trained historian' like gNads, or just a plain one.
Response to pipi_k (Reply #7)Mon Mar 4, 2013, 02:51 PM
 a la izquierda (7,178 posts)
10. (some blah blah removed)

I'm a historian, so genealogy is a fun hobby.
This too shall pass.

Offline lastparker

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:35 AM »
Response to grasswire (Reply #20)
Mon Mar 4, 2013, 04:57 PM
Brigid (9,847 posts)

23. Some of my ancestors on my dad's side . . .
Came from the same clan as Macbeth. And I probably have pretty good dose of Viking blood, since both sides of my family came mostly from the British Isles. Isn't geneology cool?

I just have to smile when the DUmmies flood an entire thread breathlessly pointing out that they have the requisite ancestral resume to impress the Aryan Brotherhood.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Ooh!  Another historian.  Wonder if this one is a 'trained historian' like gNads, or just a plain one.

Lucky for those that find royal blood however far back.

When we did research on the family both sides we did not need to hire a Mormon, the center in Utah does this for free.

Fortunately the first on Dads side hit Maine and lived in the same town up to today since the town was founded in 1623 all we needed to do was look at the old town records.    

We found plenty of ancestors that fought in all wars up to today but not a one of the others breeding like rabbits was really worth  a plug nickle.   The land they got through Mass. as land grants soon past into others hands as the owner could not by himself afford to Improve all those acres.  

One branch went to live on the other side of the river and became farmers, not wealthy but better off then my branch.   We became the interesting ones, pig thieves and the river rats, the town history of the times showed my ancestors to be a scurvy bunch, real interesting reading.

Wasn't until Prohibition days and living on the river some how brought in money to the family.  From then on everything was cozy, inside toilets, electricity and the horses were sold to buy a car.

What fun to try to imagine how one comes from a family that survived the Indian attacks, disease, wars and still exists to this day.   Mom lives on one 2 acre piece of property from the original grant, the first home was burned to the ground by the Indians, in the cellar the rocks used to build it still have marks from the fire. No telling how many times the home has been re built ground up from the cellar but the town taxes her now on the present building at being built in 1970, for some reason when we have photo's of the place going back to the late 1800's.    

Geology is tricky, town records may be incorrect or incomplete, spelling of names change over time, the fact that when a woman died leaving her husband with children at one span in history a brother of the husband would marry a sister of the mother to care for the children and himself, they would have children  and in the future cause great migraine's to those searching for their past.  

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
I just have to smile when the DUmmies flood an entire thread breathlessly pointing out that they have the requisite ancestral resume to impress the Aryan Brotherhood.

That's.....one thing I was wondering about, myself.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
When we did research on the family both sides we did not need to hire a Mormon, the center in Utah does this for free.

Oh now vesta dear, what exactly did you get for free though?

I'll bet you didn't get nearly as much as you'd gotten if you'd hired a Mormon neighbor or Mormon friend or Mormon acquaintance or Mormon coworker or Mormon college student--any old Mormon--to do it.

They're good, and demand considerably less pay than what their work merits.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 08:32:48 AM »
That's making me rethink Creationism.  It would mean we are related to DUmmies.

My favorite ancestor's a Romanian one, Simon.

He fought valiantly during the siege of Vienna by the Turks in 1683, and then history forgot him until about twenty years later, when he finally showed up again in his old village, having grown enormously rich in his absence (how, I have no idea).

He was still single, and let it be known he was amenable to taking a wife.

Since he was so rich, all the single women courted and wooed and enticed him, but then he ended up selecting a mean old ugly gossip who constantly nagged him.

When asked why he'd made such an improbable choice, he replied that it's better to pay for one's sins in this world, than in the next.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

It would be just as amusing to see what happened when they found out they were closely related to Heydrich, Eichmann, or Himmler, or noted traitors like Arnold or Quisling.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
It would be just as amusing to see what happened when they found out they were closely related to Heydrich, Eichmann, or Himmler, or noted traitors like Arnold or Quisling.
I'm sure Benedict Arnold is a hero to the few democrats who've heard him called a traitor.

Most of them think he played Roseanne's husband.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 11:26:32 AM »
I'm sure Benedict Arnold is a hero to the few democrats who've heard him called a traitor.

Most of them think he played Roseanne's husband.

Considering what Benedict Arnold did at the (Second) Battle of Saratoga, they'd be conflicted.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.