Author Topic: new sonnabend thread  (Read 4511 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
new sonnabend thread
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »
You know, it's probably not nice to talk about people who can't respond back, but sometimes one is compelled to say something about someone.

The only joy I get out of talking about someone who can't reply back is in the case of Pedro "Beach Boy" Picasso, who has been angrily frustrated in the past, because my fellow alum Skins won't allow franksolich to be mentioned on Skins's island.  (I have no idea why, but there it is.)

Anyway, this is about sonnabend.

Up until recently, I had nothing but the highest esteem and respect for sonnabend, a true and honest gentleman in every way, but damn, he has been perplexful the past three months.

When our old home started falling into ruin and disarray, everybody was faced with a choice; to stick around in hopes some repairs might be done, or to go find a new home.  As one can see from the membership list in order of seniority, franksolich himself wavered and waffled greatly before coming over here.

Over here was new, with only a few familiar faces, and so one was taking a gamble coming here.

My predicament was the same as that faced by sonnabend.

I cannot figure sonnabend out.

Both of us had three choices: (a) stick with the old home; (b) abandon the old home and find a new home; or (c) find a new home, but go back to visit the old home once in a while.

Now, franksolich was predisposed towards (c), given that franksolich had never had a bad experience in the old home (but it alas was obvious a new home was needed).

Given the way the other gentleman was treated, with slurs against him, slurs against the Australian people, slurs against Australia in general, one would think the logical choice for sonnabend would have been (b).

Well, now we have the situation where franksolich, who never felt an iota of ill-will at the old home, is at (b), and sonnabend, who endured much ill-will at the old home, is at (a). 

It just doesn't make sense.

Why put up with the company of ruffians who use, abuse, misuse, one, when one has a chance instead to hob-nob with high-class people?

Damn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

Re: new sonnabend thread
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »
Some people simply want attention....positive or negative, it does not matter to them...makes them feel all special.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:44:38 PM »
Some people simply want attention....positive or negative, it does not matter to them...makes them feel all special.
Which explains why TNO hangs around here.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
I don't understand it Frank. As many know, especially BEG, jty and WE (my closest real life friends), I have principles and I am not the type of person who would ever compromise those principles. Like you, I have chosen option (b).

But this is not about me, it's about Sonna. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he could never reconcile the two sites and he felt as though he would have greater self-worth if he was an exclusive and high ranking member of CU.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
I don't understand it Frank. As many know, especially BEG, jty and WE (my closest real life friends), I have principles and I am not the type of person who would ever compromise those principles. Like you, I have chosen option (b).

But this is not about me, it's about Sonna. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he could never reconcile the two sites and he felt as though he would have greater self-worth if he was an exclusive and high ranking member of CU.

Or he has battered woman syndrome.   :-)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »
Well, this "bastard" has wiped his hands clean of Sonna. I'm done trying to defend him, even though I went to CU as FormerSGT and did just that after I was insulted by him.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 07:22:03 PM »

Perhaps.

Hey, thinking on your special title... do you like "Libruls, the other white meat"? Keeping with the cannibalism theme in the DW thread.  :yum:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »

Perhaps.

Hey, thinking on your special title... do you like "Libruls, the other white meat"? Keeping with the cannibalism theme in the DW thread.  :yum:

No I want something cool like "cracka man".

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »

Perhaps.

Once you go cracka, you never go backa?

Let's take this to the lounge... lest we get accused of spoiling another Sonna thread.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 07:01:46 AM »

Perhaps.

Once you go cracka, you never go backa?

Let's take this to the lounge... lest we get accused of spoiling another Sonna thread.
I didn't think you spoiled it! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 01:51:37 PM »
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 02:08:41 PM »
Interesting thread, and an issue I diden't realize.
While I was a bit trepiditious here at first, I've come to like the look of "here" and the old friends. However, the old CU address gives me the 404 error. Is there a new one?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
Well, this "bastard" has wiped his hands clean of Sonna. I'm done trying to defend him, even though I went to CU as FormerSGT and did just that after I was insulted by him.

Although I missed the exchanges to which you refer, I agree with you.  That said, I will miss Sonna, as I always enjoy reading his comments from the Aussie prospective.  Kinda like Bijou, I appreciate reading the opinions of folks from other countries in order to prevent me from becoming too "sheltered" in my consideration of political issues.

Its a shame......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »
Although I missed the exchanges to which you refer, I agree with you.  That said, I will miss Sonna, as I always enjoy reading his comments from the Aussie prospective.  Kinda like Bijou, I appreciate reading the opinions of folks from other countries in order to prevent me from becoming too "sheltered" in my consideration of political issues.

Its a shame......

doc

Well, we got LC EFA, who lives along the ocean in northeastern Australia, who's really good.

Damned good member, and we're happy to have him here.

And bijou, of course.

I think I'll recruit from the Norway ping list on freerepublic; I know I said I was going to, but never got around to it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 03:14:36 PM »
Well, we got LC EFA, who lives along the ocean in northeastern Australia, who's really good.

Damned good member, and we're happy to have him here.

And bijou, of course.

I think I'll recruit from the Norway ping list on freerepublic; I know I said I was going to, but never got around to it.

Northeast Australia is equivalent to the Southeast United States, from what he's told me.  :-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »
Northeast Australia is equivalent to the Southeast United States, from what he's told me.  :-)

The climate and all that, but peoplewise, it's like Nebraska; big area, not many people around.

But like both the southeast U.S. and Nebraska, people in that part of Australia are reputed to be laid-back and mellow.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »

They have battered women now?!  Dammit .... I'm still eatin' mine raw!    :-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »

KC

I need a moment.  :bow2: :-)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »

KC
Yeah...Me too! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »
Which explains why TNO hangs around here.

I love having TNO here. It's like the situation when you see a severely retarded person and right or wrong, think to yourself "Shit! I sure am glad I am not like them!"
TNO does serve a purpose.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »
I love having TNO here. It's like the situation when you see a severely retarded person and right or wrong, think to yourself "Shit! I sure am glad I am not like them!"

TNO does serve a purpose.

I have mixed feelings about the nocturnally foul one, but generally he enjoys a 50.0000001% "approval rating" from me--and not to mention he abides by the rules about not slamming servicemen, and not harassing other members, and so it's all copacetic, all okay.

At first, the nocturnally foul one irritated me, always demanding "links" to generally-known and generally-accepted facts.

I got to where I was even afraid to state, "the earth is round" or "the moon is in the sky," lest the nocturnally foul one pop up, demanding, "link, please."

Then I started ignoring him.

After a while, I got back to paying minor attention to him, and much to my surprise, I had developed a sort of mild affection for the nocturnally foul one.

Now that he's some times over in our old home conversing and bantering with his old pal the buzzy one, I've actually gotten to where I resent his not hanging around here.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 10:35:41 PM »
Sonnabend is a deeply loyal guy, who feels guilty about playing on this site because it is like abandoning an old friend who is in trouble.  He attributes the abuse he gets to Gator and his core group of protected fave shit-stirrers, not the site as a whole.  I understand where he is coming from, since I also hold loyalty as a higher value than most, but I reached my limit with TOS.  Not that this site or any other site is perfect, even the best have their share of autocratic dicks (or dickettes) who want to dictate thought content and values to everyone else (The whole 'Moral clarity' bullshit, for instance), but the aggravation at TOS just got to the point that it clearly exceeded the positive value for me.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 10:41:25 PM »
Sonnabend is a deeply loyal guy, who feels guilty about playing on this site because it is like abandoning an old friend who is in trouble.  He attributes the abuse he gets to Gator and his core group of protected fave shit-stirrers, not the site as a whole.  I understand where he is coming from, since I also hold loyalty as a higher value than most, but I reached my limit with TOS.  Not that this site or any other site is perfect, even the best have their share of autocratic dicks (or dickettes) who want to dictate thought content and values to everyone else (The whole 'Moral clarity' bullshit, for instance), but the aggravation at TOS just got to the point that it clearly exceeded the positive value for me.

Pretty darn eloquent for a 19 Series!  :tongue:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline djones520

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »

Pretty darn eloquent for a 19 Series!  :tongue:

He had that college edumecation.  Thats why his speechery is so nice compaired to us enlisted fellars.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »

KC

speechless