Author Topic: Best current TV shows  (Read 3852 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Best current TV shows
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »
Yes, I also watch the Big Bang Theory and Top Gear (American). I forgot about those ones. Probably because their season is over and won't start back up till September. I also like Justified.

The original Top Gear is the only one to watch.  The American one is teh suck.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
I don't have a box from the cable company, so all my TV comes through the computer.  There's not a lot of "new" stuff on Netflix or Amazon but there are some good shows.

Breaking Bad
Wheeler Dealers
Fifth Gear (UK)
The IT Crowd
Life on Mars (both versions)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
What is this "Tee Vee" of which you speak? :confused:

(Our family got rid of the last idiot box in the house 5 years ago.)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Zeus

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
What is this "Tee Vee" of which you speak? :confused:

(Our family got rid of the last idiot box in the house 5 years ago.)

I got a Flat panel but I use it as a moniter. Get all my "TV' and movies via the internet. I ditched cable a couple yrs back, figure I saved about =/- $100/month.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 06:41:21 PM »
I haven't seen anyone mention Fringe.

I also love:
Walking Dead
Destination Truth
Ghosthunters
Fact or Faked
My Ghost Story
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman
Hell on Wheels
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 06:49:58 PM »
Big Brother!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline movie buff

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
My favorites that are current are Burn Notice (Though I've heard that may be coming on its final season), Psych, Once Upon a Time, and Grimm.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »
We also like most of the stories on Masterpiece Theater.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
One of the best new shows I've seen is the Netflix "original" series Lillyhammer. If you have Netflix streaming check it out.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline JakeStyle

Re: Re: Best current TV shows
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »
Here's another Showtime dramedy that I found & like...Shameless.

I bought the first season DVD, I don't have Showtime but I heard it was a good show.  Very funny stuff, and William H. Macy is hilarious as Frank the Plank.  I could do without all the gay stuff though.  Is season 2 any good?

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 09:45:11 PM »
in no particular order:

Deadliest Catch
Ice Road Truckers
Top Gear UK
World's Dumbest
Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series
Game of Thrones
CSI Original and NY....I'll watch CSI: Miami if nothing else is on.
Military Channel is good too.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »
The original Top Gear is the only one to watch.  The American one is teh suck.

I like the U.K version as well. Jeremy Clarkson is pretty cool (He is a conservative).

BBC America has been showing the show 24/7 for the couple weeks it seems. The don't show the new episodes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:59:00 PM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 08:06:39 AM »
I like the U.K version as well. Jeremy Clarkson is pretty cool (He is a conservative).

BBC America has been showing the show 24/7 for the couple weeks it seems. The don't show the new episodes.

Yes, I know, because my DVR has DVR'd all of them, and almost maxed out the memory.  I have to go in and delete the ones I have seen daily.   That usually means they are going to come out with a new season soon.  I hope.   My favorite still is the African Trip with the Opel Cadet.  Oliver!!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Zeus

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »
One of the best new shows I've seen is the Netflix "original" series Lillyhammer. If you have Netflix streaming check it out.

That was the first series I watched on netflix. I enjoyed it.

Then I watched The Seeker,then Life on Mars.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »
Yes, I know, because my DVR has DVR'd all of them, and almost maxed out the memory.  I have to go in and delete the ones I have seen daily.   That usually means they are going to come out with a new season soon.  I hope.   My favorite still is the African Trip with the Opel Cadet.  Oliver!!

The first one that I saw was the Bolivian trip.  I damn near had an asthma attack from it, I was laughing so hard.  The conversion of the harvester into the snowplow with the flamethrower was good, too.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »
The first one that I saw was the Bolivian trip.  I damn near had an asthma attack from it, I was laughing so hard.  The conversion of the harvester into the snowplow with the flamethrower was good, too.

My favorite episodes are the ones where they tried, and failed, to destroy the Toyota pickup truck and the one where the Hamster came back after his crash in the rocket car at 280+ MPH.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »

One of my favorite episodes is where they built thier own Space Shulltle and actually got it to fly for about 30 seconds before it came back down and crashed.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyowOsXd_ZE[/youtube]
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 01:28:52 PM »
Y'all going to laugh at me.....

1- Antique road show.
2- Some PBS history.
3- The Big Bang Theory.
4- 2 Broke Girls.......the wife watches #3 and #4 usually at the same time we're eating supper....hey, Im not going to bite the hand that's feeding me...So I watch.

I watch The Big Bang Theory and the breasts of one of the 2 Broke Girls.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »
One of my favorite episodes is where they built thier own Space Shulltle and actually got it to fly for about 30 seconds before it came back down and crashed.

That was a good one, I also liked the one where they competed with the German Top Gear team in the Mini competition.  That one girl, Sabine Schmitz is really cool.  I loved how she razzes Jeremy. 

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
That was the first series I watched on netflix. I enjoyed it.

Then I watched The Seeker,then Life on Mars.
Which Life on Mars? The British or American?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
The UK version isn't on Netflix.

It's on Amazon Prime if you're looking for it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline T-Monay820

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »

Suits

So far, this is the only reference to this show I've seen on this thread. I think this may be the best show on television right now. And I watch a ton of TV.

My top shows: Burn Notice, Franklin and Bash, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Castle

Other shows I watch regularly: Royal Pains, Necessary Roughness, Coast Guard Alaska, Flying Wild Alaska, Happy Endings, Revenge, Community, Top Gear (BBC), Covert Affairs, Last Man Standing, Rizzoli and Isles, White Collar, Cougar Town, Archer, Tosh.0, Whale Wars, Hardcore Pawn, Wilfred.

Some shows that I've jumped on recently, but look promising: The Newsroom (don't get HBO so should be fun looking for bootleg versions), Falling Skies, Common Law, Bunheads (a little less impressed by the show itself, but Sutton Foster and the mother-in-law are fun characters).

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
The UK version isn't on Netflix.

It's on Amazon Prime if you're looking for it.
That's okay. I was just curious. I think it was on Netflix for a while a few months ago.

They do change from time to time. I was in the middle of an episode of Wire in the Blood when that show went away for a while. Then it was back but I was out of the mood.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline T-Monay820

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
The first one that I saw was the Bolivian trip.  I damn near had an asthma attack from it, I was laughing so hard.  The conversion of the harvester into the snowplow with the flamethrower was good, too.

All their specials are pretty good. The Vietnam trip is funny just to see how miserable Clarkson is. I mainly watch the show for the challenges rather than the cars.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
So far, this is the only reference to this show I've seen on this thread. I think this may be the best show on television right now. And I watch a ton of TV.

Smart dialogue, great characters....(and Rachel alone is SMOKING hot.)

I want to be Harvey Specter when I grow up.  :lmao:

I can't wait to see how This whole thing with Mike is going to go over with Hardman.

And I just want to punch Louis in his rat teeth every time I see him.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver