Author Topic: brain-damaged primitive can't wait any longer  (Read 868 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
brain-damaged primitive can't wait any longer
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2477630

Oh my.

The old Skins's island remains afloat, but loses ground daily, and I for one will be very happy when it's totally submerged, meaning all the reactionary primitives who can't deal with change, who can't get with the program, will have to swim over to the new Skins's island.

DainBramaged Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Thu Feb-23-12 10:06 AM
Original message

White House announces new privacy "Bill of Rights," Do Not Track agreement

Saying "American consumers can't wait any longer" for better privacy rules, President Obama took the wraps off his administration's framework for new privacy regulations. As part of its big reveal, the White House also announced the first product of that framework: the completion of an industry agreement on "Do Not Track" technology for behavior-based web advertising.

The blueprint, outlined in an administration white paper, includes a "Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights"—a set of principles intended to guide how businesses handle consumers' personal information—and steps to incorporate those principles into federal regulations. The blueprint includes negotiating a set of practices with industry, consumer protection and privacy advocates, plus other "stakeholders" in privacy policy. The practices will then be enforceable by the Federal Trade Commission.

The "Do Not Track" agreement is a first step toward that model. Signed by a group of web advertising networks and "leading Internet companies," including Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, and AOL, the agreement will lead to the adoption of Do Not Track features integrated into web browsers. This will allow consumers to opt out of behavior-based marketing, blocking advertiser's tracking "cookies." The companies signing off on the agreement account for delivery of nearly 90 percent of behavior-based advertisement, according to White House figures. The companies entered into the agreement voluntarily, but now are subject to the Federal Trade Commission's oversight and enforcement of its terms.

FTC chairman Jon Leibowitz said of the agreement in a statement: “It’s great to see that companies are stepping up to our challenge to protect privacy so consumers have greater choice and control over how they are tracked online. More needs to be done, but the work they have done so far is very encouraging.”

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/02/white-h...

No Elephants Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Feb-23-12 11:53 AM
Response to Original message

1. No comment right now.

KoKo Donating Member (1000+ posts) Thu Feb-23-12 10:09 PM
Response to Original message

2. Better to wait and see how this works out before I do applause.

Although I noticed that Firefox Browser now has a checkbox for "Do Not Track" which seems to be new since my last upgrade from them. But, I can't see the Administration cutting out all those "Ap Producers" who create the cool Ad Block/No Scripts and other toys to try to keep us safe as we browse.

Will have to see...

No Elephants Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Feb-24-12 03:47 AM
Response to Reply #2

3. My question is: Will the Administration give up tracking us?

I don't have a Fourth Amendment or a due process right as against Yahoo or Google. Nor will I end up in jail or Bagram because, at DU, I see those creepy internet ads for a pair of shoes I just checked out on some catalog website.

And I don't have to use yahoo or google for everything, unless I choose

I do have one as against federal and state governments and cannot avoid them, even if I leave the country apparently. And they can not only land me in Bagram, but at the business end of a drone.

Actually, it might not be a bad idea for the administration to keep tracking the primitives, given their known deviance, criminality, and treason.  After all, as Stalin pointed out, it's usually a pretty good idea to keep a sharper eye on one's friends than one's foes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: brain-damaged primitive can't wait any longer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
Oh for cryin' out loud! There has always been a way to keep people from tracking your online habits! Just disable or tell your browser to ask you before setting cookies! It's pretty easy to figure out what cookies track you just by their name, for cripes sake!

Mozilla has a do not track add on, but you can actually do it yourself with very little effort.

Ya think our medical records under O'bummercare will have the same right to privacy? NOT A ****IN" CHANCE!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
Re: brain-damaged primitive can't wait any longer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »
Oh for cryin' out loud! There has always been a way to keep people from tracking your online habits! Just disable or tell your browser to ask you before setting cookies! It's pretty easy to figure out what cookies track you just by their name, for cripes sake!

Mozilla has a do not track add on, but you can actually do it yourself with very little effort.

Ya think our medical records under O'bummercare will have the same right to privacy? NOT A ****IN" CHANCE!

The ones that you DO NOT WANT tracking you don't even use cookies.

Barack knows who they are.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7