Author Topic: brain damaged primitive describes cutting back  (Read 2499 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
brain damaged primitive describes cutting back
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:40:59 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2471435

Oh my.

One wonders when Skins is going to shut down the old DU, compelling the reactionary "can't stand change" primitives to migrate to the new DU.  It's handier having all the primitives gathered together in one place.

DainBramaged Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 10:39 AM
Original message

Companies who I cut back on in 2011 because I just don't need their bullshit

I cut Netflix to one DVD and streaming. They want to rack up the increases, not at my expense. And I may drop them sooner than later. Redbox is near me now.

Cablevision, they can go **** themselves. I eliminated their TV. $97 a month, **** that.

Sirius/XM, raised prices, I eliminated two of my three radios. I can listen in my car.

Planet Fitness, meh, goodbye. I work harder at work and don't have to wait to use any machines. $20 more a month for Monster coffee...

Who did you cut back or cut out in 2011?

Ino Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-30-11 12:44 PM
Response to Original message

1. a couple things

I discovered the library has about 75% of the DVDs in my Netflix queue, so I cut Netflix down to streaming only.

Quit smoking 4 months ago.

There's precious little I can cut down or cut out any more here (sigh).

Blue_In_AK Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 02:36 PM

2. I moved my prescriptions from Wal-Mart to Fred Meyer.

My plan is to never set foot in a Wal-Mart again in my lifetime.

PatrynXX Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 11:04 PM
Response to Reply #2

8. never go their for glasses let alone rimless. they actually told me they no longer could honor the warranty because they couldn't afford replacing rimless frams all the time. grrrrrr pay out the ass for a 1 year warranty , I go to Sears Optical (not really sears) and they have zip warranty, cheap frame and lenses (better made) and $40 per replacement fee when they do break. 2 year warranty. I'm game for that. haven't broke yet. Longest in a long time I've got without more than one scratch on a lens..

bengalherder Donating Member (718 posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 07:03 PM

3. Hard to cut back on anything anymore

Shee-it, I used to have freaking hippies who admired my minimalist life- no car, thrift store clothes, no cable (at the time. We have it right now so the hubby can watch football its cheaper than a bar...and I do have netflix streaming, that is my entertainment budget right there), ... being in the biz, I'm not much for corporate restaurants or coffee shops either. I guess I'd say I'm spending even less in non-locally owned businesses when I can. I can always do better. My major gripe is that I am in an apt with no place to garden now (not even much of a porch to speak of) but that will change sooner or later...I'm just grateful to have (and glad my husband does as well) a full-time job right now, I've got enough to deal with with just the basics, let alone extras.

My christmas present this year was getting my workboots resoled. I took them to a local shoe repair spot and shared the wealth.

DesertFlower Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-30-11 10:02 PM

4. shopping more at walmart.

some of their prices are $1.00 or more less than Fry's. even the people who work in fry's shop at walmart. fry's raised their price on fancy feast cat food from $.53 a can to .99 a can in a little more than a year. walmart charges $.50 a can. that's just one example.

i basically go to fry's for their boar's head cold cuts.

DainBramaged Donating Member Fri Dec-30-11 10:45 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. I understand, with my financial situation I may be forced to in the near future

I try to shop at Target and the local Shop Rites, which aren't bargains on food compared to Target, but they carry way way more fresh and meats. They will meet Target prices if you have a Target receipt, which I keep a few of in my wallet for litter, cat food, bread.

DesertFlower Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-30-11 10:55 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. i like trader joe's -- good prices and quality -- lots of organic food, but the nearest one is 44 miles round trip.

Lorien Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-30-11 11:13 PM
Response to Reply #5

11. Costco and Trader Joes are cheaper if you have either in your area.

DainBramaged Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 11:20 PM
Response to Reply #11

13. Trader Joe's is 36 mile round trip as the crow flies from my apartment and 52 miles getting door to door directions and dealing with crowded Jersey towns on the way. That's two gallons of gas when it takes one to shop Target & Shop Rite. I shop for me so buying in bulk doesn't work.

But unlike people in the cities who don't have large markets readily available, I shouldn't complain.

Lorien Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat Dec-31-11 01:16 PM
Response to Reply #13

21. Trader Joe's is about 450 miles from my home, but I have two Costco's nearby

I stock up on non-perishables at TJ's when I go home to Ohio. It drives me nuts that Trader Joe's refuses to expand to all 50 States and more than a handful of stores in most. Every American deserves access to inexpensive but healthy food options.

DesertFlower Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-30-11 11:42 PM
Response to Reply #11

16. we have both. costco is close to hubby's job. trader joe's is a little further. back when my health was good i used to shop at trader joe's at least once every 2 weeks.

PatrynXX Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 11:05 PM
Response to Reply #4

9. too expensive at walmart for food

go to aldi's for my sausage. save a dollar

Lorien Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-30-11 11:15 PM
Response to Reply #9

12. I go to Aldi's and my local produce market, and buy some bulk items, like rice at Costco. I'm a vegan so even though most of what I buy is organic it's still way cheaper than meats and processed foods.

DesertFlower Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-30-11 11:51 PM
Response to Reply #14

17. we feed our cat boar's head turkey and ham. it's expensive, but doesn't have the chemicals and preservatives. we also give him iam's dry food and half a can of fancy feast.

our cat is an abyssinian. he's the only one of our cats who came from a breeder. the rest came from shelters, or showed up at our door. we had 2 tabbies. one was mean and the other was so sweet. we also adopted a russian blue from the humane society. he was about 4 at the time. he was so starved for love. they gave him up when he had an upper respiratory infection and he was in foster care for months. he spent 7 wonderful years with us where he was treated like a prince.

now it's just our abby. when he goes -- no more animals. we're getting too old.

femrap Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 11:58 PM
Response to Reply #17

18. With my last cat, Joe, I cooked turkey breast for him. Also eye of round steak. And tuna. Plus Fancy Feast. He lived to be nearly 17 years old.

You are NEVER too old for a kitty!!!!!! Do you hear me? Please hear me.

FYI, I just had some Boar's Head Garlic Bologna and got the WORST headache ever...I thought of nitrites. But it's only red meat that has nitrites (so I hear). I thought I was having a stroke.

DesertFlower Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat Dec-31-11 01:07 AM
Response to Reply #18

19. we had a cat named joey. he only lived to be 13.

the problem is we spoil our cats. our cat, monkey jumps up on the countertop to be fed his boar's head cold cuts which cost over $10.00 a pound. he thinks nothing of grabbing at something i'm eating. if something were to happen to us no one would put up with him. that's the reason we decided no more animals. i'm 70 and my health is not good.

i've had boar's head low sodium bologna. i love it, but it's not good for you -- 13 grams of fat in 2 ounces. it tastes great though. i grew up eating bologna -- then stopped in my 30s when i found out had bad is was for me.

femrap Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Sat Dec-31-11 12:15 PM
Response to Reply #19

20. I let my cat up on the kitchen counter...

in fact she has her bowl of water in the kitchen sink. She won't drink the bowl beside her food.

I grew up on bologna and cheese sandwiches w/ mustard. Then I read what goes into bologna and hot dogs and stopped eating it. Except for an occasional Boar's Head bologna sandwich.

I'm sorry your health is not good. I turn 59 next month and I want to devote 2012 to getting healthy again. I need to exercise and get at least 25 lbs. off of me. I can't afford all the blood tests, etc. so I'll just assume I will feel better with the exercising and weight loss.

DesertFlower Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat Dec-31-11 04:37 PM
Response to Reply #20

24. happy to hear i'm not the only one who allows their cats on the counters.

i've been sufferering with CFS/ME for 22 years. just found out the other day that i have pneumonia. i got into health in the early 80s. stopped eating bad foods, stopped smoking. having boar's head bologna once in a while is a treat for me. i do pilates 2-3 times a week. have the machine at home. keeps me flexible.

Lorien Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sat Dec-31-11 01:25 PM
Response to Reply #17

22. Make sure that you give him a taurine supplement, otherwise he'll lose his eyesight and kidney function with too many boar's head treats (though otherwise it is better for him than the cat food). Turine is found in organ meat and can be bought as a supplement, or you can buy organ meat from a butcher. Fancy Feast and Iams are both full of industrial waste and things that I don't want to mention (like I said, google "what's really in pet food"; it's more than a little shocking). Human grade brands (made with ingredients that aren't too toxic to feed to humans)include but are not limited to: Organix, Newman's Own, Origen, Natural Balance, California Natural, Merrick, Fussie Cat, Precise, Great Life, Solid Gold, Indigo Moon, Lotus, Artemis and Prairie Nature's Variety. There's a reason that cancers, diabetes and kidney failure are so common in pets these days, and it all comes back to the same ol' suspects on Wall Street.

PatrynXX Donating Member (1000+ posts) Fri Dec-30-11 11:00 PM

7. dropped Netflix down to 2 disks and for the moment no BD's. very complicated to rent those too. moment I heard about them massively raising prices (ahem hey Verizon was only $2 buckks and that went bye bye fast. Netflix hasn't learned shit. They'll go down with their own ship on that error) on streaming I dropped it 2 months before that price went into effect because their streams suck. About the quality of the obsolete MovieCD format... laserdisc is better

femrap Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 11:35 PM

15. I gave up milk in my coffee. Next, I'm giving up wine.

L0oniX Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Sat Dec-31-11 03:31 PM

23. I've started to buy 9mm reloads @ $135 per 1000. Beats Walmart $12 per 50 box.

proud patriot DU Moderator  (1000+ posts)  Sat Dec-31-11 05:14 PM

25. I stopped buying koch products

DainBramaged Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Sat Dec-31-11 07:23 PM
Response to Reply #25

26. As did I a long time ago and when you try to explain to firends, they give you this deer in the headlights look.

classysassy (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-13-12 03:31 AM

27.  WalMart and Fox News

I don't shop at the Waltons stores and don't watch Ruperts lying circus of clowns.

classysassy (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-13-12 03:33 AM

28. WalMart and Fox News

I don't buy at the Waltons Mart and never watch Ruperts lying clowns.

classysassy (1000+ posts) Fri Jan-13-12 03:34 AM

29.  I amgoing to grow my own food and turn off my TV
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: brain damaged primitive describes cutting back
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:56:36 AM »
Hmmm, they didn't have to cut back when Bush was in office, now who are they going to vote for again?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »
L0oniX Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Sat Dec-31-11 03:31 PM

23. I've started to buy 9mm reloads @ $135 per 1000. Beats Walmart $12 per 50 box.

:lmao:

Femrap is giving up milk in her coffee?  Oh the huge manitees. 

Feeding Boar's Head to the cat?   :mental:  I don't feed myself that.  $10/lb?  No way. 

That said, I'm not going to be a hypocrite.  I used to make my own dog food.  We had an excellent but moonbatty, holistic vet, who harangued us me into doing that.  Pureed vegetable soup, roasted chicken, stew beef, etc.  Good Lord. 

Me, I cut back on smoking by 50% by replacing with vaping. 

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »
I've decided to stop shopping at Kroger. That union shop has gotten ridiculous again with prices. I was shopping and said, I just can't do this...they had cut prices for about 3 years now and they've steadily gone back up since the O's been in office. I hate Walmart becuase it's a pita all around to shop there and park there, but I will probably start shopping there again including my usual Aldi's and Meijer's(sale ads) rounds. I decided Kroger will only be for the occasional meat sale. Really pitiful...I mean I was really shocked by the prices there that's how bad it has become. I can't feed my family on a budget for what they are charging now. I hope the union workers there will thank Obama for their decreased sales since I know others are doing the same.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
You can tell my Mom was born a Democrat, even though she became a Republican a few years ago, she still has the wasteful non-compromising when times are tough mentality that Democrats have. We've cutback and have compromised, I get most of my food at Aldi's, some at Walmart, some at BJ's and some at Shop Rite. I don't just walk into Shop Rite and fill my cart up anymore, and I clip coupons.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:18:28 AM by Ballygrl »
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »
I don't have a TV.  I went shopping at Aldi's earlier this week, and they really did have some really good prices.  Very limited produce though.  I am currently living in the cheapest apartment I could find a a reasonable neighborhood.  My lunch today is a peanut butter sandwich, an apple, and an orange.

I started school again earlier this month, and I've had to take out some massive loans to do so.  I'm not that worried about them, because I know that I will be able to find a good paying job when I graduate, but I also don't want to spend the money frivolously.  I had the expense of moving to a new state, and buying school books recently, so I will be living as thriftily as possible.  I'm not complaining though, I'm comfortable, I do have enough money to afford the necessities and a few extras, and I'll have a BSN in December.  Life is good.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »
and I clit coupons.

This is SO going to the short bus.  Did you learn that trick from Gina?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »

Man, I was trying to give her a break on that one :lmao:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »

Oh my! It's that damn sex thread on the forum that I can't get out of my head!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:19:06 AM »
Man, I was trying to give her a break on that one :lmao:

That would be an amazing trick if I could actually do that! :lmao:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 08:20:59 AM »
Come on now, don't be trying to edit that shit out!!!  We know where you were going!!!!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »
That would be an amazing trick if I could actually do that! :lmao:

How many more women would be extreme coupon shoppers if the ability was ours? lol :whistling: :rofl:

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »
 :lmao: :rotf:  That looks like something BEG might do.   :tongue: 

JTY, I was shocked when I went shopping at the Price Chopper.  Everything was sky high!  I hadn't been there in a while.  Distressing.  I thought I was reading a misprint on the bacon. 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
DainBramaged Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Fri Dec-30-11 10:39 AM
Original message

Companies who I cut back on in 2011 because I just don't need their bullshit

I cut Netflix to one DVD and streaming. They want to rack up the increases, not at my expense. And I may drop them sooner than later. Redbox is near me now.

Cablevision, they can go **** themselves. I eliminated their TV. $97 a month, **** that.

Sirius/XM, raised prices, I eliminated two of my three radios. I can listen in my car.

Planet Fitness, meh, goodbye. I work harder at work and don't have to wait to use any machines. $20 more a month for Monster coffee...

Who did you cut back or cut out in 2011?

Yet the cretin has started threads saying that all he can afford is 40 dollars a week for grocery.
Lying sack of shit.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »
I noticed that none were cutting out their internet connections.

They are fully aware that one can get free internet service outside of the public library 24/7.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 11:46:59 AM »

Have you seen anything, anything at all, hinting as to when Skins is going to shut down the old DU and corral the recalcitrant reactionary primitives who don't like change into the new DU with the rest of them?

I thought he'd do it on the 1st of January or something.

I think it's time for the brain-damaged primitive to accept and adapt.

Besides, it's easier keeping track of the primitives, when they're all in one place, not two.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Tucker

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »

Have you seen anything, anything at all, hinting as to when Skins is going to shut down the old DU and corral the recalcitrant reactionary primitives who don't like change into the new DU with the rest of them?

I thought he'd do it on the 1st of January or something.

I think it's time for the brain-damaged primitive to accept and adapt.

Besides, it's easier keeping track of the primitives, when they're all in one place, not two.

No I haven't. Just speculation. It's gotta be costing skimmer money to keep it going, unless he has a contract from the old service company and is waiting for that contract to expire.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »
You can tell my Mom was born a Democrat, even though she became a Republican a few years ago, she still has the wasteful non-compromising when times are tough mentality that Democrats have. We've cutback and have compromised, I get most of my food at Aldi's, some at Walmart, some at BJ's and some at Shop Rite. I don't just walk into Shop Rite and fill my cart up anymore, and I clip coupons.

Depending on which store has the best meat/seafood/produce prices, I will go to either Kroger or Tom Thumb first.  Anything else, it's straight to Aldi.  I back fill with trips to Sam's once a month, because I get my dog food there.   I get beer by the keg now, instead of by the 12 pack, and that helps immensely with the cost. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Tucker

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
Depending on which store has the best meat/seafood/produce prices, I will go to either Kroger or Tom Thumb first.  Anything else, it's straight to Aldi.  I back fill with trips to Sam's once a month, because I get my dog food there.   I get beer by the keg now, instead of by the 12 pack, and that helps immensely with the cost. 

What's your DU name?  :tongue:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »
What's your DU name?  :tongue:

hardee har har!!!!  I have a kegerator, and can keep a keg for a good long time.   :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »
I have had DirectTV since we built our house.  I just cancelled it.  Know why?  We spent $69+ a month on it and it goes out 3 weeks ago.  I call and tell them and they said sure we can come out and fix it but it will be $59 for a service call.  I cancelled the next day.  Gonna charge me for a service call on a product I have had since 2000.  They asked me what they could do to keep me as a customer and I said waive the service call fee of $59 and they wouldn't so I cancelled.  I don't think they took business 101  :lmao:

I love Netflix.  Looking at buying Roku.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 01:06:52 PM »
I love Netflix.  Looking at buying Roku.
Roku is very nice, but it's in no way a substitute for cable service, despite what every DUmbass says.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
Well, they haven't cut down on their whining, anyway.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »

How long does a keg last?

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
:lmao:

Femrap is giving up milk in her coffee?  Oh the huge manitees. 

Feeding Boar's Head to the cat?   :mental:  I don't feed myself that.  $10/lb?  No way. 

That said, I'm not going to be a hypocrite.  I used to make my own dog food.  We had an excellent but moonbatty, holistic vet, who harangued us me into doing that.  Pureed vegetable soup, roasted chicken, stew beef, etc.  Good Lord. 

Me, I cut back on smoking by 50% by replacing with vaping. 

I feed my dogs & cats raw. Cheaper than anything I've ever fed. Granted, I raised a lot of their food and there's always plenty of wild turkey around but I still end up buying chicken & organ meat from the store and green tripe from the Internet. Plus there's a group of RAW feeders up and down I-5 that raise and/or hunt various kinds of meat. We buy from each other. No supplementation necessary.  But you only feed an animal 2-3% of their body weight so even my biggest dog only needs up to 2lbs of meat a day. He's kind of a slug (I call him my sausage with legs) who couldn't herd his way out of a paper bag so he doesn't need even that much or he'll gain too much weight.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams