Author Topic: sparkling husband dude likes tomatoes from New Jersey  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: sparkling husband dude likes tomatoes from New Jersey
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
:lmao: I was actually thinking Gilligan's Island radioactive vegetables.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:02 AM »
Actually, I'm aware of that too, having lived in Fairlawn many moons ago.

But while I lived in New Jersey, which has some of the nicest people one can ever hope to meet, I never really "explored" the state, pretty much isolating myself in the upper northeastern corner, always going to New York City.

As for tomatoes, I'll take everybody's word on it--to me, a tomato is a tomato is a tomato is a tomato, whether it comes from New Jersey or Texas or the William Rivers Pitt here.  Just round globular red vine-grown fruit.

We differ on this Frank.   A tomato plant with Basil planted near by gives the tomatoes a roll your eyes look, incredible.

It has to be the soil, the temperature, humidity and amount of rain fall that gives a different taste to veges. grown in different climates of the US and off States side.

Nebraska as I remember on a stop driving through at planting time had the most strange smell to the plowed fields.   I today have no idea if it was the lack of salt in the air, the type of fertilizer used, or the type of the seeds being sown.   Foreign smells mean that the grown foods will taste different.

Visitors from the Midwest, first timers here in New England, head to the Atlantic and at low tide the smell gets to them.   Horrid, Holy Shit how can people live with that smell.??????

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 06:29:54 AM »
We differ on this Frank.   A tomato plant with Basil planted near by gives the tomatoes a roll your eyes look, incredible.

It has to be the soil, the temperature, humidity and amount of rain fall that gives a different taste to veges. grown in different climates of the US and off States side.

Nebraska as I remember on a stop driving through at planting time had the most strange smell to the plowed fields.   I today have no idea if it was the lack of salt in the air, the type of fertilizer used, or the type of the seeds being sown.   Foreign smells mean that the grown foods will taste different.

Oh now vesta dear, madam.

I'm assuming that when you were "driving through," you were driving alongside the Platte River, the Union Pacific railway, U.S. Highway 30, and Interstate 80, which is where it seems 99% of outsiders "drive through" Nebraska.

If so, what you were smelling was simply the odor of clean fresh pure black dirt being overturned by the plough.

Visitors from the Midwest, first timers here in New England, head to the Atlantic and at low tide the smell gets to them.   Horrid, Holy Shit how can people live with that smell.??????

I went to Boston six times during the late 1980s, early 1990s.

The first three times, I was there during the summer; the odor of dead fish and human sewage was so overwhelming, so intolerable, so offensive, so vomitous, to these sensitive Sandhills nostrils, that I resolved never to go to Boston again.  But I was invited back three more times, and so went there during the winter, when everything including odors were frozen, making it more tolerable.

Earlier than that, I had spent almost all of one summer on the Connecticut sea-coast, and of course when I lived in New Jersey I spent a great deal of time in Brooklyn.  Because this was all near, and even on, the ocean, one assumes it would've smelled like Boston too.  Not even close.  Connecticut, New Jersey, and Brooklyn were as if lilacs, compared with the stench of Boston.

I always assumed--and anyone correct me if I'm wrong--that Boston is so stenchful because the builders and owners of the sewage-works there, being good pals and buds of corrupt local and state Democrat politicians, and quite generous with the cash, got exempted from having safe and sanitary facilities and processes, not even required to filter the air.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
That was just the Irish, doing a Pub Crawl..........

:-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
Oh now vesta dear, madam.

I'm assuming that when you were "driving through," you were driving alongside the Platte River, the Union Pacific railway, U.S. Highway 30, and Interstate 80, which is where it seems 99% of outsiders "drive through" Nebraska.

If so, what you were smelling was simply the odor of clean fresh pure black dirt being overturned by the plough.

I went to Boston six times during the late 1980s, early 1990s.

The first three times, I was there during the summer; the odor of dead fish and human sewage was so overwhelming, so intolerable, so offensive, so vomitous, to these sensitive Sandhills nostrils, that I resolved never to go to Boston again.  But I was invited back three more times, and so went there during the winter, when everything including odors were frozen, making it more tolerable.

Earlier than that, I had spent almost all of one summer on the Connecticut sea-coast, and of course when I lived in New Jersey I spent a great deal of time in Brooklyn.  Because this was all near, and even on, the ocean, one assumes it would've smelled like Boston too.  Not even close.  Connecticut, New Jersey, and Brooklyn were as if lilacs, compared with the stench of Boston.

I always assumed--and anyone correct me if I'm wrong--that Boston is so stenchful because the builders and owners of the sewage-works there, being good pals and buds of corrupt local and state Democrat politicians, and quite generous with the cash, got exempted from having safe and sanitary facilities and processes, not even required to filter the air.

Down by the river, the banks of the river Charles's I love that dirty water, Boston is my home-----

1970 song that made me home sick when living in Hawaii.

Yup we get use to and thrive on the smells of areas we grew up in. 

Example, a friend of mine made the trek out of Laos a good couple hundred miles on foot as a child, into the American camps and came here at 18. She married a fellow camp man , moved to New Hampshire and in a few years were able to go home to visit family.   At this time they took their daughters 5-7 American born with them.  It became a nightmare for my friend as their daughters were terrified of the city their parents family lived in.   Both could not stand the SMELL, refused to eat the food.  They became very disoriented with the living conditions and the general street traffic that was unlike anything thing they had ever seen before. The food markets made them gag and their parents family were scary, they did not speak English.

These kids had never seen open sewers or have to squat over a hole to defecate, they were use to a hot shower every day and clean clothes they changed every day.  There was TV but all in a language only their parents understood.

This was home to their parents but they were a bit traumatized by the experience.   Their Mother told me that they would not take the kids home again until they were teenagers and had education in their culture.

Then the Mother, that she who had been gone herself for years and husband also had problems with the smell, they did not remember the sanitary problems and the living conditions of their family's. The native food they were raised on now tasted odd, sad their family's had now moved on into a world they did not know.  They worried about food poisoning, the thieves in the streets and the police who scared the **** out of them.

Frank, I believe this is why the children of illegal aliens fear their parents will be deported back home to places that the children are so afraid of.

They could not explain their lives in America to those that had never been here, how to explain a small town in New England to those that lived in a congested city in Asia.  The wealthy in Asia have what we have here but the people like her family that fled for their lives to American or Canadian relief shelters left behind family that has never know air conditioning or a hot shower every night.