Author Topic: Where's the Saturday Thread?  (Read 6903 times)

Offline jendf

Where's the Saturday Thread?
« on: January 12, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
I can't believe no one has started one yet. How does The Lounge survive without these?  :-)

I slept in until 9. Went to Target and bought things I didn't need. Now I'm watching football.

What are you all doing today?

TOTD: Soda drinkers--have you ever thought about going cold turkey. Just give up drinking the stuff? I would like to because of all the harmful effects it has on my body, but I am truly addicted to it and am not sure how I can succesfully do this without having serious problems. Should I even bother?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Where's the Saturday Thread?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 04:23:52 PM »
Well, since it's raining outside, I had to hurry to  the grocery store for some items, and to put in a job application.

Now, I don't think I'll be going anywhere.  I don't know WHY Savannah has been bitching about Atlanta being greedy about water.  There has been PLENTY of rain here.  :mental:

I am filling out a second job application, and will take it by the corporate office of the company I am applying to.   There seem to be a lot of places hiring, which is especially helpful to me.

TOTD: NEVER will I give up Coke.  You will have to pry the can or bottle from my COLD DEAD HANDS!  :lmao:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 04:25:15 PM »
My new job requires me to work on Saturdays.  No can do, so I get to come home and relax after my econ class.  This new job is a whole lot of nothing - it's really lame.  The pay is a little less than usual, but I've been working 50+ hours a week so the overtime is nice.  Got an interview next week that I'm hoping comes through.

TOTD:  I'm not much of a soda drinker but if someone told me to stop drinking beer, I'd tell them to go piss up a rope. 
 :cheersmate:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 04:28:12 PM »
I can't believe no one has started one yet. How does The Lounge survive without these?  :-)

I slept in until 9. Went to Target and bought things I didn't need. Now I'm watching football.

TOTD: Soda drinkers--have you ever thought about going cold turkey. Just give up drinking the stuff? I would like to because of all the harmful effects it has on my body, but I am truly addicted to it and am not sure how I can succesfully do this without having serious problems. Should I even bother?
Try mixing sparkling water and fruit juice pineapple, mango and grapefruit are good because they are robust enough to take it.  Make a bottle of it in the morning and keep it by your desk so you're not tempted to go to the machine to get a soda.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »

Try mixing sparkling water and fruit juice pineapple, mango and grapefruit are good because they are robust enough to take it.  Make a bottle of it in the morning and keep it by your desk so you're not tempted to go to the machine to get a soda.
They sell this junk called Fruit-2-0 here in the States.  It's just water with fruit flavor and a little bit of sugar added.  I wish they would make a carbonated version, but it's got less nasty stuff in that soda.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 04:31:26 PM »
Well, let me try this again.....

In case three duplicate comments of mine show up, it's because the post didn't "take."

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Worked this morning until noon and have been working at firewood off and on this afternoon.

TOTD:I don`t drink very much soda so can`t say on that.
Fwiw,going on 5 years since I quit smoking (1-2 packs/day for 20 years) and it was a lot easier then I thought.
Decided to try to quit early in the week and when Friday evening came I through what I had left in the furnace and managed to go through the next day without buying any and that was it.

It took months to get to that point and what finally did it was a guy at work was diagnosed with cancer and had let it go long enough that within weeks was dead.
He was in his late 50s.
One of the major reasons for staying in a job I don`t really like that much is a decent 401K/retirement program and the realization that I was probably not going to see any of that suddenly struck me as very stupid.

Maybe not a good analogy but the point is that the benefits and motivation to giving it up have to outweigh the desire to continue.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:35:09 PM »
I have been doing housework all day and taking care of a sick child.

That sparkling water and fruit juice sounds delicious, bijou. I actually like flavored water and iced tea over soda. 
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline jendf

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:36:57 PM »

This sounds so good, bijou! Will definitely be trying it out. Thanks for the tip.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »
Okay, one more time.....

I've never been a big fan of soda.

I don't know why; it just never turned me on.

Of course I drink soda, Diet Dr. Pepper (the only taste I have in common with Messalina Agrippina), usually from "fountains" at convenience stores, and usually it's half Diet Dr. Pepper, half plain carbonated water.

I have no idea why.

I suspect my antagonism towards soda evolved when I was a child, and noticed that people who drank lots and lots of soda had dental problems.

(Note: because I am deaf, I spend a great deal of time intimately observing the mouths of other people.  It's not any weird "thing" I have; it's necessary to do, in order to "hear."  Most of the time, for example, I will know all the dental details of a woman long before I'm aware she's tall or short, fat or thin, good-looking or not.)

The childhood hostility towards soda apparently was at least partially justified; other then the four wisdom teeth, yanked out by a Greek plumber (the story was told in the Omaha World-Herald circa the mid-1980s, no point in re-telling it here), I still have all my original teeth, all white, and no fillings.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
Today, I've done a whole lot of nothing.  I need to get to Target and the grocery store. 

TOTD:  I don't drink much soda.  If I go to a fast food type place, they always have iced tea.  I drink a couple of Dr Peppers a week maybe, so I wouldn't have a problem giving them up.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »
The childhood hostility towards soda apparently was at least partially justified; other then the four wisdom teeth, yanked out by a Greek plumber (the story was told in the Omaha World-Herald circa the mid-1980s, no point in re-telling it here)

You had a newspaper article written about your visit to a dentist?  :confused:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »
You had a newspaper article written about your visit to a dentist?  :confused:

Oh yes.

During the 1980s, I was frequently on the top of the second page of the Omaha World-Herald.

Everything from that to debating the authenticity of poppyseed kolaches (which turned out to be a much hotter issue than I had thought it would) to re-fighting the last part of the War of Roses.

And other things too.

I'm flattered that even circa twenty years later, there's still people who recall the story about my being too cheap to pay a dentist $160 to yank the four wisdom teeth, and paid a Greek plumber $25 to do it instead.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 05:19:47 PM »
It was an unseasonably warm day, but the weather-geniuses tell us that we're looking at our first bona fide winter storm on Sunday night. "Several inches" were mentioned, which, in Philadelphia, means somewhere between two snowflakes and a foot.  :whatever:

TOTD. I enoy a little bit of soda. Less than I used to.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 05:40:38 PM »
Well, I should have mentioned in my other post that my trouble-making textbook arrived today.   I am SO glad I paid for it online for close to half of what it would have been at the school bookstore.

Does this look worth $130 to y'all?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »
They must charge per page.   :whatever:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
They must charge per page.   :whatever:

:lmao: :rotf:  Exactly. 

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
Well, I should have mentioned in my other post that my trouble-making textbook arrived today.   I am SO glad I paid for it online for close to half of what it would have been at the school bookstore.

Ya know, it seemed like every damn semester I started, the book that was used the previous year was at it's end of life. I don't remember too many damn classes that used the same book.  :censored:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »
BTW, it's probably the Shoutbox that's taking a lot of the interest because it's new to a lot of people. Add that to the fact that WE and Skizz are huge Green Bay fans, so they're probably glued to the TV. ...just sayin'  :-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »

Ya know, it seemed like every damn semester I started, the book that was used the previous year was at it's end of life. I don't remember too many damn classes that used the same book.  :censored:

Which is why I started looking to Amazon to get some of my books.  I can always get them new or gently used for FAR better prices and in better condition than what the school store offers.

Books for English classes are ALWAYS the worst ones, in my opinion.  

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »

Oh man, I'm glad you finally got it and not for $130.  Rejoice, it'll be worth $5 at the end of the semester.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »

Oh man, I'm glad you finally got it and not for $130.  Rejoice, it'll be worth $5 at the end of the semester.

Who knows?  It might be worth more than that.  I say $10.  :rotf:

Offline Flame

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »
Had a good day.  Took the girl child to dance this morning, then came home and cleaned.  Took the pups for a walk.  Picked up the girl child from dance, and we headed north to explore.  Found a really cool state park...wandered around there for a bit, then we hit some outlet stores and went out for dinner.

Now I'm home!

TOTD:  I can do OK without soda for long periods of time, but then I get that "I gotta have one" craving.  I try not to drink much soda, anyway.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 06:41:13 PM »
Jen, I still drink an occasional soda, but more times than not, I drink iced tea, water or milk. Ohh, let's not forget the occasional beer, wine or mixed drink.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »

I've been blah today so neglected it...lot's of home drama and such

many pardons :-)

TOTD: Yes, I have, for about 2 years. You really don't miss it once you get used to being without it...honestly, the same with coffee and the times I've eliminated that and other junk, I feel terrific. It is worth it...even if you give it a month at first. I usually get a headache at first when I ditch the caffeine though..fyi